It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2003, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Unhappy Lips peeling, cracked mouth...Please help!!!

Hi to everyone!!!! For about 2 years I have had this condition with my lips where they peel, blister and just burn. I have seen my regular doc, a dermatolagist and an allergist and none can tell me what is wrong. For about 3 months(off and on)now... with the original lip condition I get these awful cracks on the corners of my lips. So, whenever I eat or yawn etc, the cracks expand or multiply and I am in sooo much pain. Anyone relate or have suggestions on something that might help??? I have tried a variety of treatments but sometimes the simplest answer is out there. And yes I do put lip balm on often....

Old 05-18-2003, 08:31 AM   #2

Marie1 HB User
When I used to go to my dentist and he would open my mouth wide...my corners of my mouth would crack as well. I asked my dentist to go easy on me the next time and he said "Are you taking your vitamins?" Apparently there is a vitamin deficiency if the corners of you mouth crack. I do not know which vitamin...but needless to say, I got on a multi-vitamin pronto. I do not know if this even applies to you...but best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Thanks for writing Marie1. I have heard about having a vitamin deficiency and that may be part of the prob...Hmmmmm I am currently taking a multi vitamin and a B complex supplement. Anyone have a really great lip balm that you just love?? Curious...

Old 05-18-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
i have heard that taking the supplemnent biotin will help with lips that crack in the corners

Old 05-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Smile

Biotin, hmmm I wonder why that is.... I will check into that and thanks so much for responding!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 09:01 AM   #6
(male)

FargoUT HB User
I highly, highly, highly recommend Aquaphor for dry, cracked lips. It is dermatologist recommended (my dermatologist, in fact, recommended it to me himself). It's from the makers of Eucerin, but it comes it three sizes: ultra-huge jar, medium sized tube, and a more manageable 1.75oz sized tube. If you can find the 1.75 oz tube, it's amazing stuff. It does leave a rather obvious and noticeable gloss on your lips (it looks like you coated your lips with Vaseline). But whenever my lips get a little toasted by the sun, or just get too dried out by our climate, using this stuff cures it perfectly. It lacks fragrances and preservatives, so it's perfect for even the most sensitive skin. I know I sound like an advertisement, but this stuff really is a miracle. I started using it when I was on Accutane, and I still use it. This tube has lasted me over a year now.

Ingredients: Active - Petrolatum; Inactive - Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, and Bisabolol.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:20 PM   #7

Vlasik HB User

I highly recommend Vaseline on your lips when you go to bed every night and also if you are going to be at home during the day. Or all the time if you prefer. It is the best. I use it at night, and then use Smith's Rosebud Salve during the day.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Wink

Thank you to everyone who has responded!!!! You all have made great suggestons.... [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] My lips are certainly healing as I write but I have to be careful not to open my mouth to wide. The cracks come when I do so! Bye for now!!!! Cassie

Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User
I have that problem too, only my whole lip is involved and not just the corners. Every four days I can't smile without my lips getting all cracked and eventually peeling. It's a real pain. I'm finally able to see the dermatologist about it on Thursday.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Novembre, How was your dermatologist appt.??? They can be helpful and some docs just do not know what to say....they are just as baffled! Let me know!

Old 05-28-2003, 07:21 AM   #11
Inactive

brandywine7 HB User
I had such a mess on my lips you wouldn't believe,I spent so much money on products that didn't help at all,finally as a last resort I broke off a piece of my alovera plant and smeared it on my lips,I didn't care what I looked like!I did this several times a day and after a couple of days it started to clear up and now I use it every once in a while just because it keeps my lips conditioned.Hope this helps!
Brandi

Old 05-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #12

Canyonbabe HB User
You are probably deficient in riboflavin which is a B vitamin. I have had this on and off my whole life and only have to take it for a couple days. Just one a day and the cracks on sides of mouth and blistering would disappear for years. Daughter also had it but I have not been able to find Riboflavin B-2 separately for a while so you may have to take a B-100 for a few days. Unfortuantely the next time I would get it my vitamin had expired but it was worth it. Nothing else will heal it especially the corners. You will think it is and then open your mouth and it is back. You might ask pharmacist about getting the Vit-B-2 alone. I don't know why they discontiuned it as it is not dangerous. You will be amazed how fast it will heal. Also, B-100 is good for many other things like hair, nails, nerves, etc.

Old 05-29-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User
The dermatologist appointment didn't help my lip condition. They did a patch test on me this week, and it turns out I'm allergic to thimerosal, but I doubt that has anything to do with what's going on with my lips. The doctor also gave me some ProTopic ointment to try last Thursday, and two days after I started using it, my face would burn every time I washed it and I got like six pimples all around my mouth.

My best guess now is that it's caused by the tretinoin cream I've been using since January 2002. The cheilitis started last year, and apparently that can be a side effect. I stopped using the cream and the ProTopic as soon as I put 2 and 2 together, so I'm hoping within a couple weeks I'll start to see at least some positive change. My skin doesn't burn anymore and the breakout stopped, at least.

Old 05-29-2003, 10:46 PM   #14

Canyonbabe HB User
[quote]Originally posted by Soar:
[b]Thank you to everyone who has responded!!!! You all have made great suggestons.... [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] My lips are certainly healing as I write but I have to be careful not to open my mouth to wide. The cracks come when I do so! Bye for now!!!! Cassie[/b][/quote]

The cracking in the corners will not go away by iteself. It is a Riboflavin defiency. I have seen it time and ime again with friends and co-workers. Only B-2 will help. Please talk to a pharmacist or check it out on a nutrition web site. I don't know why more doctors do not recognize this as it is in all nutrition books that I have read.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:39 AM   #15
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Hey CanyonB- I agree with you, there is a person I think on the children's health forum with one of her kids with the same problem, unfortunately some people take care of the symptoms with topical stuff that leads to addiction and never discover the true cause of it all a riboflavin deficiency. some people just don't listen.

Closed Thread