It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2003, 11:39 AM   #1

gizmo bear HB User
Post white spots

Hi all,
Do any of you happen to know what causes white spots on fingernails? I have heard that it could be that you are lacking in something. Also, when I where nail polish, they disapear. When I take the nail polish off, they re apear within a like 15 minutes. Does anyone know what this might be caused from?
Thank you much

[This message has been edited by gizmo bear (edited 06-27-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
They are pockets of air and are of no consequence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I have heard it's caused from a vitamin deficiency. Wish I could remember which one. Sorry.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #4

gizmo bear HB User
Pockets of air? Really? I never thought that it might be that. I have also heard that is was a vitamin that you were lacking that caused it, but can't think of what it is either. Thanks for the replys.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Actually, it was vitamin A that was thought to cause this but has since been shown not to be the case. They originally thought this because nails are mostly made of keratin, and a deficiency of vitamin A leads to 'keratinzation' of the tissues throughout the body - hence, spots in the nails must be a breakdown of the tissues there so... it must be a vitamin A deficiency. But they have since found that it would have to be such a severe deficiency for a prolonged period that this isn't thought to be the cause with fingernails any longer as people here in the states usually don't have deficiencies of vitamins to that extent as we always consume at least enough to 'get by' even without the use of supplements.

It has since been written that they are simply air pockets and are nothing to worry about. I take a beta carotene supplement and still had them, so I guess I've proved it to myself that I'm ok....and so are you

Old 06-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #6

gizmo bear HB User
Thanks! You all are so helpful.

Closed Thread