It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Post sunless tanning and sunspots.

Hi I used a popular sunless tanning lotion product last summer and loved the tanned look without the sun. However after a couple of applications when the product wore off, I found myself with ugly sunspots on my face that I never had before. I was still using a sunscreen. These spots took several months to fade. Do these products work on pigmenting the skin? I would love to use a sunless product again but the pigment spots I can do without. Im scared it will happen again. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help?

Old 06-14-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
(male)

FargoUT HB User
Hrm?? How unusual. I've never heard of that happening. Did you exfoliate your skin? Use an AHA to remove the dead skin cells? Sounds a little weird to get sunspots due to this stuff. Can you tell us what brand?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did exfoliate and these spots weren't the type of spots that you would get from putting the lotion on dry skin and have it peel off shortly after. These spots took several months to fade even after exfoliating many, many times. I still have them but barely noticeable now. I tell you, I got spots where I never had them before. It was like the product increased the pigment on certain areas of my face. That's why I was asking in my post whether these products do increase pigment. I don't know if I can post the name of the product other then to tell you it is a popular product and initials are ES.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:47 PM   #4
Inactive

bgirl HB User
Unhappy

I hope you have figured out the sunspot question you posted a few months ago,but if not ,I think you seem to be decribing tinea veriscolor.i have had this condition off and on for 6 yrs.( i was misdiagnosed with vitaligo)I have it on my back,it looks like little white spots(some bigger than others)that only would show up if I was tanned.It was a very small area on my back so i kinda let it drag on ,plus i still thought i had vitaligo,I was diagnosed by the "best " dermatologist in the business 4 times with it.This past winter it was alot worse(thus prompting me to seek a few other opinions),instead of disappearing,the spots were a reddy,light brown color,with a peeling kind of look to the skin.The redness would increase if i excercised(and I do ,about 5-6 days a week,2-5 hours a day) or took a hot bath.Anyway i figured out that TV is a yeast that normally grows on the skin ,and for some reason with some people there is an overproduction of this normally present skin yeast.Causes vary but heat,sweating,oily skin are some of them.There are other types TV ,you should check it out on the net.Another thing you could possibly have,though very unlikely,is vitaligo.check them both out ,see a dermatologist if possible.One last thought ,it is possible to get rid of TV(and the fungus that grows on the skin because of it),speaking personally of course,i used selenium sulfide(selsun blue2.5%) for 7 days as directed ,plus buffing,buffing and more buffing or in your case exfoliating the skin,never wearing the same clothes twice,or in your case, pillow cases.Then repeating this in a month.good luck.

[This message has been edited by bgirl (edited 07-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by bgirl (edited 07-14-2003).]

Old 06-15-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, I don't recall posting a previous post on this subject, however find your info about tinea versicolor interesting. I will check it out. When you say selsun blue, what is it? Is it a shampoo that you buy in a store or is it a prescription item? If this is a fungus, wouldn't yogurt do the same thing in killing off this yeast?

Old 06-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive

bgirl HB User
Hi! I thought you might have TV because of the sunspots you wrote about .Wrong!!Anyway TV is a common skin condition due to the overgrowth of skin surface yeast,which is a type of fungus.I'm really not sure that yogurt would work,I've tried it,it did'nt work.Selsun Blue is a dandruff shampoo.There are 2 kinds,1% &2.5%,the latter is used for TV.Check out the information on TV,there are alot of postings.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:57 AM   #7

Nimokana HB User
I'm so glad I read this post! I recently noticed two "sunspots" on my face that have appeared almost out of nowhere in the last month or so. I started using two different brands of sunless tanning lotion about two months ago to get a nice summer glow (and I was getting married on a boat and didn't want to scare the guests!). I've used sunless tanning products before but never got these spots--especially ones so noticeable on my face!

Now, second part of this post talks about TV and vitiligo. My son started getting white patches around one knee several months ago that I attributed to scar tissue (from years of scraped knees) that wouldn't tan. He's naturally very pale but starts developing a tan in the summer. Recently I noticed that these white spots are now spreading to behind his knee (roughly a six inch round spot). I haven't noticed it anywhere else on him. I took him to the doctor yesterday and she said she thought it was vitiligo but recommended we see a child dermatologist.

I guess we both need to see a dermatologist! I'm 29 and have never been to one, but I'm very anxious to see what we both have and how we can treat it.

Thank you all for bringing up this subject (and a similar post on this board about vitiligo/TV) and posting your experiences.

Nimo

Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nimo keep me posted. I'm curious as to what the dermatologist says.

Closed Thread