It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 11:30 AM   #1

clearwater HB User
Post Sunspots around eyes from tanning bed

I just started using a bronzing bed at the tanning salon. I immediately developed tons of freckles on my face and seem to be getting a good collection of them going up around my eyes. I'm looking like a racoon.

It seems the pigmentation there is coming out much stronger than other parts of my face. This is only after one use for 7 minutes in the bed. The sun will do this to me as well so I know to expect it. However, I want to continue tanning all summer and I can't imagine what I'm going to look like after 3-4 more sessions.

Does anyone know of anything that can be put on the face prior to getting in the bed that will not let these develop anymore in those areas once exposed to the bulbs. I'm desperate here!!!

Old 05-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #2

scudboy HB User
i never understand america's obsession with the sun. its harmful to your skin. People in Asia avoid it like the plague and that is part of their success in looking young and wrinkle free at the age of 50.

I hate daylight savings. I hate it when i have the sun shining in my face at 7pm. i don't get why people are willing to make themselves look darker for a few weeks in trade of freckles which can be for a lifetime.

my advise is to stay away from the sun if you can. don't let it hinder ur social life and activities though, but just don't go purposelly out to sun bathe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2003, 09:41 PM   #3

allyd HB User
Do you know that there ARE BENEFITS to tanning...it's not all bad?!!! It's NOT GOOD to AVOID the sun all the time either!!

Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
There are absolutely NO benefits to tanning...unless you happen to think leathery skin, wrinkles, skin cancer, sun spots, uneven pigmentation, and a very rough skin texture are attractive and 'beneficial'. Not to mention having a tan is so 'out' that you actually are in the minority to walk around with one, as I can count on one hand how many 'tanned' people I will see in the course of a summer. That's because most people know better now.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:53 PM   #5

allyd HB User
Where do you get your info from...You have no clue!

And for a tan being out...where do you live? Watch tv for 5 min and count how many pale people you see! It's in more than ever!
You really should read up on it...it's quite interesting!

[This message has been edited by allyd (edited 06-11-2003).]

Old 06-11-2003, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

dianabarry HB User
I don't understand tanning either. I hate the sun and I avoid it like the plague. There is nothing that annoys me more than heat and the sun showing its ugly face at me. I wouldn't be caught dead in a tanning parlour. People with tanned skin do look nice, but I like my skin color and do not want to get darker.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Yes allyd, I have watched TV on occasion, and you may be astounded to discover that all those people you see with a 'tan' are sprayed. Or they are wearing a self-tanner. You sound very young so I will excuse you not knowing this. But it's very common knowledge...NOBODY on TV actually has a real tan, not even all those beautiful Baywatch girls. Fake color, everyone of them. And I stand by my earlier post - I can count on one hand how many people I see with a tan during the summer. And I would bet that even those few are not real tans. We all know better dear. You mentioned that 'tanning has benefits' but you haven't shared any of them with us yet....

Old 06-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #8

allyd HB User
Probably older than you are, but I won't ask your age.

Sorry to hear that the media is where you get your "knowledge" from...what research have you done to get the opinion you have?

Maybe one day soon you will know what the benefits are...

It's just like taking say a prescription medicine...if you overdose it could be bad, but as long as you can do it properly it can be good.

But you can have your opinion and so can I

Old 06-11-2003, 11:35 PM   #9

JoshyBoy HB User
Not only do I agree with ally, but I have to mention that tanning if done properly, not only looks good on a person, but also can make a person feel better about themselves. Many celebrities own their own tanning beds, and please don't mislead people and say that their tans are sprayed on. My mom is a make up artist, and she says that they would have to be sprayed at least 6 times a day, for the dye to carry in the skin that the beautiful beach models have. So it is a real tan....Get it straight....And I think tans are in....or so many tanning salons wouldn't be open now a days....don't you think?

Old 07-15-2003, 11:18 AM   #10

Diva Ree HB User
The only people that look leathery are the ones that already have horrible skin (usually very dry), and the ones that think they have to tan everyday.

If you have an ounce of common sense, and you are genetically able to tan, you should be able to do so without making your skin look like crap.

Believe it or not, one of the research studies on tanning filtered out hispanics. Many research papers study people with English/Irish genes. Isn't it amazing that "positive" results are filtered out of the research before it even begins? Talk about fooling everyone.

Not everyone should tan, but with the right skin type, there are minimal risks involved when done moderately.

The secret is to not overdo it. No getting pink, no tanning everyday. Do you know how many people would NOT burn with their SPF's if they had even a slight base built up?

I don't know that tanning is worse than the people that don't use enough SPF, or don't use it often enough, and the ones that don't wait 30 minutes before going outside, and the ones that think they can stay out all day "just because" they have on their SPF. Tell you what, if I didn't have an SPF with me on a day my car decides to break down...I'd be thanking my lucky stars that my natural tan got me to where I was going without frying.

It's all about common sense. If you are fair skinned, odds are, you'll never be able to be extremely tan...and unfortunately, it's the people that KNOW they can't tan that have all the problems.

Switching to disposable eyewear called Winkease or Viewkeepers will help with tan lines around the eyes. As the skin continues to tan, the white areas will become less noticable as the tan seeps into the area. Always wear eyewear when tanning. With the new FDA recommendations on the Spray Tanning, you may want to consider wearing these during that application also.

[This message has been edited by Diva Ree (edited 07-15-2003).]

Old 07-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #11
Inactive

endoIC HB User
I just love how all of you are attacking her for using a tanning bed. That isn't what she asked. I'm sure she is a big girl and can make her own decisions. Do any of you eat fatty foods, smoke, drink alcohol? Chances are you are going to die from heart disease before skin cancer.

Try getting Selsen Blue for Dandruff, it will clear the sunspots.

Closed Thread