It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Pakawadee

Post Keloidal Scars on back

Hi! I'm new to these boards and have a few problems. I've lost a lot of weight recenlty and have a lot of stretch marks and loose skin (I posted a message about it in the weight loss forum), but even before I started loosing weight, kelodial scars started growing on my upper back and shoulders.

Here's a picture that looks very similar to what I have on the web: [url="http://www.dermis.net/doia/image.asp?zugr=d&lang=e&cd=36&nr=69&diagnr=706105"]http://www.dermis.net/doia/image.asp?zugr=d&lang=e&cd=36&nr=69&diagnr=706105[/url]

Anyway, I've been to a dermatologist twice in the past few years and they've only been able to inject the scars with something (I think some sort of protien) and they get a bit smaller over the next few weeks. Some get flat to the skin, but they are all still red and noticable.

The main problem is that they grow back completely in about 6 months and get a bit bigger (along with more growing). Over the past year, I've grown 4 small ones on my upper chest that are visible when wearing a lot of clothes.

I'm not sure what causes them. When they're small, they look sort of like big acne (white and perfectly round), but I can't pop them or squeeze them. I've started taking vitamin b5 for acne, but It's only been 3 weeks and I haven't noticed any improvement in my normal acne yet. I also recently started using scar-treatment medication (Merderma) that is supposed to make them lighter.

I've also got a lot of stretch-marks on my back and most of my body. Some of the scars are right on top of the stretch marks, so they could possibly be caused by them, but I'm not sure.

The Dermatologist says that if I cut them off, the scars from the surgery may be worse (bigger) than what I have now, but I've talked to friends that knew people that had scars like this cut off before and it looked much better.

Anyway, I'm just looking for advice, suggestions, or people that have heard of Keloidal scars before. I plan on continuing with the B5 vitamins and Merderma for at least 6 months before I consider cutting them off.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #2

Amber77 HB User
Smile

Hi, I'm 26 and I have keloids on my shoulders too, they look exactly like yours. I have them on both shoulders, about 6 or 7 on each and they have been there for about 6 years now. I hate them and have tried everything! I had kenacort injections (maybe similar to what you had). I had about 3 lots of injections then I was using gel sheets for a while. Sometimes they look like they have flattened but other times they look just as bad, honestly I don't know what to do anymore. Just recently I was looking on the net and found a product called Scar so soft from Naturedoc.com which claims to help keloids. I was using it for a while but actually stopped recently because I started getting acne all over my shoulders (which I haven't had for many many years and I thought the oil might be causing it) Anyway, now I still have the keloids and acne! But I am desperate to try anything and think I will try the scar so soft again if my acne clears up. I am still using gel sheets (I only started using them again recently) I have tried to find other info on keloids but there is not much around, the dermatologist I went to told me to learn to love them and I was so depressed cuase I think they are so ugly and I love swimming but never go cause of them. Just to know you're not alone, good luck, if you have any success I'd love to know.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #3

Amber77 HB User
I forgot to say before but I've been advised not to cut them off cause they will just grow back. Is the Mederma working?

Old 08-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
(female)

dianabarry HB User
I am sorry to see how bad this is. I have done a lot of research on this, and laser surgery is supposed to help the appearance of hypertrophic scars. It works on keloids also, but not as well. The NLite laser is supposed to break down the collagen that is under the skin, causing the scar to become flatter, also it is supposed to be able to constrict the blood vessels so that the color of the scar improves. It takes a few treatments, and it is not something that opens up the skin, so there is less chance of growing more scars. I have hypertrophic scars, which are very flat, however, the color bothers me. Cutting out a keliod usually heals with a new keloid. It is strange that they just develop on you however, every scar I have is from a cut, or surgery, but again, I have hypertrophic, not keloid scars. I have read that keliods sometimes pop up for no reason, you must be one of those people. They are more likely to occur on dark people, and hypertrophic scars occur on light skinned people.

Closed Thread