It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ciship HB User
Post Mole on my son??

My ten year old has a funky dark mole on the side of his head. What kind of doctor do you go to to have this checked out?

Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

SabresLover81 HB User
any docter, but to be really sure take him to a dermatologist. is it raised? if so go soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ciship HB User
No, the mole is flat and for right now...perfectly round. It is as big as a pencil eraser though. His pediatritian has seen it before and just told me to watch it....but, I'm getting a bit unnerved about it and wondered if a dermatoligist will be able to recognize carcinoma's or melanoma's and if they can do anything about it, if so.

Thanks much

Old 08-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #4

BuGaBoO2006 HB User
He should be just fine. I was born with one on my arm It's a little bit smaller than a pencil eraser and the pediatrician said the same thing just watch it. Well now I'm 15 and it's still the same but I want to get rid of it SOO bad. But anyways I wouldn't worry about it until it changes colors, shape or becomes raised.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
when in dobt ..cut it out...just because the dr said its ok and to watch it doesnt mean that you have to follow that advice..get it removed now..one less thing to worry about later on

Old 11-02-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
My son got a tiny mole on his back at around 7 months. As the years went on it grew. When he was about 8, it was the size of a pencil eraser. The doctor said it should come off, so we had it removed by a plastic surgeon. They thought it could possibly turn cancerous and I wasn't about to take that chance.
He is now 27. Now dermatologists would probably be able to removed it. We were worried about scarring, but remember this your son will grow and that means the skin will grow and stretch, also. So I really don't believe you'd have to have a plastic surgeon involved, except if it's in a place that would be noticeable, because my son did have a scar for a long time. Also, you know how kids are, if they seem something on someone, they will make fun of them and that's not good either. Kids can be so brutal. So I'd get the thing off regardless of what the doctor says. But that's just me.

Closed Thread