It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post Treating sun spots

Has anyone successfully used any of the treatments for white spots/sun spots that are supposed to be caused by a fungus that is activated when out in the sun? I'm using Wipe Out and also got a tube of Arrest both with different ingredients. I've been using the Wipe Out for almost two weeks and the spots have not went away. How long does this take to work? And should I rub it over my entire body or just the parts exposed to sun?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive

bgirl HB User
Cool

Hey Angela.I have never tried Wipe out or Arrest,so I can't help with that .The fungus you are referring to is called Tinea Veriscolor .Skin has normally present yeast living on it, and for some reason, in certain conditions, like heat,humidity, and sweating,this normally present yeast will overproduce itself.It covers the skin in a way that the sun cannot reach the skin to tan,hence the white spots appear or reddish brown,slightly raised spots in the winter when the skin is not exposed to sunlight. This yeast is like a fungus ,look it up on the net,there is lots of info. on it.To treat T.V.,I successfully used Selsun Blue(a dandruff shampoo)2.5%,selsun blue's active ingredient is selenium sulfide ,again check it out on the net.There are 2 kinds of s.b.,one for dandruff 1% solution and one for T.V. a 2.5% solution.What you do is put about 2-4 teaspoons of s.b. onto affected areas,leave on for 10 mins.(no longer),get into the shower and buff,buff and buff( this is key) the areas with white spots, do this everyday for 1 week.Only use a brand new buffer or body brush,and only use that buffer on the T.V. affected areas,use another brush on the rest of your skin.If you really want to get rid of this ,changing the bedlinens everyday is pretty much mandatory for that first week and wearing clean clothing, never wear same shirt twice for first week.Do not put too much or any ,if you can stand it,oil or lotion on your skin for first week either.After all of that you should be good to go,but keep in mind,if you already have a tan it might be another year until you see an even skin tone.I was lucky ,I did the treatment right before the summer started(a year or two ago),and my skin was able to tan evenly,but say if you have good tan every where but a few white spots,if you get rid of the white spots ,the skin under them will be fresh untanned skin,use a lot of sunscreen.Tenia Veriscolor can reoccur,some people are prone to this,but I have buffed my skin since first doing the treatment and that seems to be enough for me.There is alot of information on Tenia Veriscolor on the internet,look into this if you can,and most definately see a dermatologist to be sure this is in fact what you have.A simple skin scraping or looking at the affected area under a special black light(all dermatologists have one) will determine whether you have this or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

Dkeller30 HB User
Question

~bgirl~
Can you tell me where to find the Selsun Blue 2.5%?? I have looked at Wal-Mart and Ekcerd Drugs here and have only found the 1%......can you please help me?? I would REALLY love to get rid of these sun spots!!

Thanks in advance!!
~Denise~

Old 08-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Inactive

bgirl HB User
Cool

Hey Denise, I am not sure where you can get it in NC?Over here ,I go to Pharmasave,London drugs or Shoppers Drugmart.I haven't tried Walmart,but if they don't have it in your neck of the woods ,they probably won't here either.If you can ,ask a dermatologist.If they recommend something else,be sure to check out the toxicity and or ingredients in the product.Selsun blue seemed to be the lesser of many evils,as far as toxic ingredients go!Let me know how it goes!Good luck.

Closed Thread