It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Exclamation BAD calluses on my feet! EMBARRASSING!

HELP! I have really gross feet! lol I get calluses on the side of my big toe and on the bottom of my feet. I've used those Dr Scholls things that look like a cheese grater, and I've used the stuff that looks like sand paper, callus removers,etc and nothing seems to work. The best thing I've come across is a "callus shaver" that shaves the skin off. That seems to work but then the callus just hardens in a few days! I just recently bought Kerisol (sp?) and I've been putting that on my feet before I go to bed and wearing white cotton socks. It seems to soften them a little bit, but then like I said they just come back. Should I go to the podiatrist? Will they think I'm nuts because it's "just calluses"?

Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
I have the callused feet too! I've tried just about everything you have.

I asked my doc about the lotions and putting on socks overnight and she said she's been seeing women that do that and come see her because of fungal infections from the sweaty feet in the socks all night.

I did see on thing I haven't tried. It was a machine that has like a sander thing on it, it plugs in and you sand your feet with it. It may not do anything more than the cheese grater, but it would be less work.

I don't know about the podiatrist thing?? Maybe we should get pedicures on a regular basis.

Renee

[This message has been edited by reneeintx (edited 08-22-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

Zipity HB User
I was thinking about getting a pedicure too but I know the people will be thinking "oh god what horrible feet she has" haha I bought one of those things that you put batteries in and it rotates to buff the skin off, but it didn't work. It wasn't rough enough.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
There are too many products on the market today to treat a buildup of calloused skin on the feet. Try looking in your local beauty supply for some of them. I will try to find some product names for you and repost.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
Zipity,

My feet are sooo gross. I wonder about the pedicurist also thinking the same thing . My feet from the top look okay, not beautiful though. I guess the "sander" thing is OUT!

I don't understand I cheese grate, and cheese grate and the next day it's the same old rough, ugly, callused feet..OH THE HORROR!!

I never walk around bearfoot, in Texas anyway, the fire ants will eat you up!!

Marti~ I hope you can help us on this one

Renee

Old 08-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #6

jdist HB User
Hi,

I'm not an esthetician or a nail tech, but I do take really good care of my feet, and I'd be happy to let you know what I do. I used to have terrible skin on my feet like you're talking about, plus they would peel, and I was diagnosed with exzema, and it was awful. Some days I could hardly walk on them, and I never wore sandals.

When I finally got fed up, the first thing I did was quit touching or scratching my heels, and that got the eczema to heal up, although it still itched. Then I got a professional pedicure to start me off. Since that day, I have never failed to treat my feet, EVERY DAY, and they stay as soft as a baby's. The same day I got my pedicure, I bought some footspray that had glycolic acid in it (Pevonia Foot Smoothing Dry Oil, about $16.50 for a bottle via the Internet or your local salon), and also one of those sand-papery blocks they sell at Sally's beauty supply or Bed, Bath and Beyond. Every day, come hell or high water, THE MOMENT I get out of the shower, I sit down and exfoliate my still-damp heels and toes with the block file. Then I massage in some foot oil spray, and immediately cover my feet with white cotton socks. The oil spray soaks in super fast, so within ten minutes or so I can take them off and I'm ready to wear sandals. If you have really dry skin, you'll need to apply a heavy duty lotion at bedtime, too, let it soak in, then take off the socks to avoid fungus. Also, I never go barefoot.

Basically I just really believe that by exfoliating my feet every single day without fail, it keeps the skin soft and healthy. I haven't had a recurrence of the eczema, either.

Hope this info is of some use.

J.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Here is a list of products for you. they are all 'professional' so you will have to either get them at your local Nail Salon, or try looking for them at an Ulta Cosmetic outlet.

ESSIE SPA PEDICURE: Marine Sea Salts for heavy exfolliation, exfoliating foot scrub, hydrating lotion and leg and arm massage oil (also good for rough dry heels).

EzFLOW SPA ELEMENTS: Lemon Tea Tree Soak, Crystal Mineral Scrub, Buttermint Buffing Scrub, White Tea Massage Lotion, Ginger Root Moisturizing Lotion.

AHA PEDICURE: Eucalyptus Mineral Salts, Sloughing Creme, Callus Eliminator, Peppermint Massage Oil.

BE NATURAL by ProLinc: Callus Eliminator, skin renewal and Intensive Skin therapy. (Good Choice, this one!) Callus Eliminator's dissolving action breaks down callus tissue in just 3-5 minutes so you can simply buff or file it away. Depending on just how much there is, this may take several treatments to get it under control.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:33 PM   #8

tropicali HB User
I have the same prob. I found this miracle treatment, tho! If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby, go get this stuff. It's called "Heel to Toe peppermint sloughing foot lotion". It's just like lotion, but when you rub it in, the dry skin comes off and leaves nice, smooth skin. You have to use it daily, but it's really great!!! All of my calluses just rubbed off.. It's pretty gross seeing all that dead skin coming off.. but it's worth it!!! And the lotion is really cheap.. it comes in a small bottle and I paid $1.79 for it.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions on removing calluses. I printed out all the suggestions and will be going shopping today.

I got desperate and bought one of those callus shavers. It looks like a flat razor. I tried it on my feet last night after taking a shower.

It was scary!! It was taking chunks of skin out of my heel and it hurt My shaved skin that fell off looked like finger nail clippings lying there. The stupid directions said to shave in one direction a little at a time to shave thin layers of skin...Yeah right!!I followed the directions. I didn't expect it to be like a piranha and chew chunks of skin out of me!

Again thanks,
You guys are a great help

Renee

Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
Many people go to podiatists for calluses. A lot of older people can't even reach their feet. Nothing to be embarrassed about. That will get you on the right track and then the doc will make recommendations. Rather than try this and than, I would go to the doc first. They have all the right equipment. Believe me podiatrists see "everything". They wouldn't be in the business if it bothered them.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
(female)

girl12 HB User
Re: BAD calluses on my feet! EMBARRASSING!

[QUOTE=Zipity;526331]HELP! I have really gross feet! lol I get calluses on the side of my big toe and on the bottom of my feet. I've used those Dr Scholls things that look like a cheese grater, and I've used the stuff that looks like sand paper, callus removers,etc and nothing seems to work. The best thing I've come across is a "callus shaver" that shaves the skin off. That seems to work but then the callus just hardens in a few days! I just recently bought Kerisol (sp?) and I've been putting that on my feet before I go to bed and wearing white cotton socks. It seems to soften them a little bit, but then like I said they just come back. Should I go to the podiatrist? Will they think I'm nuts because it's "just calluses"?[/QUOTE]
HI, I live in Texas too and I know what you mean about not walkin around barefoot. ANYWHO I've had really bad calluses on my feet since I was about 2. They cover my big toe the ball across under all my toes down the edge to my heal... basically my whole foot except my arch. and its VERY painful. About once every two weeks I soak my feet take a razor blade and cut it all off, then I use a stone to smooth it out. It usually takes me about an hour and my hands hurt by the time I'm done but at least I can walk again! I'm going to try that peppermint stuff suggested earlier. I'm so embarrassed about my feet. I didn't even tell my husband until AFTER we were married! but... he kissed my feet and told me he'd be right back. He went to the store and bought me all sorts of lotions and callus removers and told me we'd find a way to make it better. We've been married for 3 years now and we still have yet to find anything that worked. lotions do nothing. Even those gel things you put in your shoes don't help it's still painful to walk. When I'm done with the blade thing my feet create this "Sweat". I don't know if you've ever seen this but it's like when you get a cut and you get that clear liquid come out? I think thats what creates the scab.... I think my body thinks I'm hurting it so it tries to "heal" itself so my feet will sometimes be "sweaty" for a day. Anyway I'm just here to say you are not alone... and its nice to know I'm not either. I talked to podiatrist over the phone and was going to make an app. but lost her number, anyway she said the name of what I have, although I can't remember what it was, and she said it's genetic. I've never met anyone with feet like mine, except my sister whom I didn't grow up with and have never actually seen her feet but I remember my mom talking about it when I was little. If I don't cut it all off it cracks and bleeds so not only do I have the pain of the calluses I have the pain of papercuts all over too. The blade DOES help. My feet will stay soft for about a week and it's not painful to walk at all. Also if I don't wear socks on tile floor it's like walking on ice. I will slip and fall because my feet are so hard. Ok well I hope this made you feel better in some way.

Last edited by girl12; 09-02-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

Rowana HB User

How well do your shoes fit? The thickend skin is the body's defense against an irritant. Do your shoes rub, pinch, or create pressure points on your feet? That could be the underlying cause and all those lotions and potions and exfoliants won't help if you don't address the root cause.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #13
(female)

girl12 HB User

mines not a shoe problem. my feet have been this way since i was 2. its genetic

Last edited by girl12; 09-05-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
(female)

Rowana HB User

And the dermatologist can't suggest anything? I wonder if some sort of alternative medicine - perhaps accupuncture - would be helpful?

My adult stepson gets lumps under the skin of the soles of his feet. The lumps must be removed surgically every so often. It's very painful and impedes his life. No one seems to be questioning why this happens.

Our bodies can be so puzzling sometimes. I do hope you find a solution.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
(female)

girl12 HB User

thanks! They said they could do this abrasion thing? I forget what they called it but I can just cut it all off ever other week and get the same effect. I do appreciate your thoughts. Yea I've heard of the lump thing before but only in animals! I've never heard of a person getting those. That's so awful. I'd hate to have to go to surgery all the time. and for the rest of your life! makes my problem seem so trivial

Closed Thread