It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #1

*Blu*Angel HB User
Thumbs down Itchy After Showering

HELP!

My legs (and sometimes arms and chest) get so itchy after I shower that I can hardly stand it. It doesn't happen all the time, but I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. It happens when the shower is short or long, whether my legs have been shaved recently or not, whether the water is hot or cooler... I don't know what else to try. I always put lotion on them right after I get out, which helps most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes they are itchy before I've even started washing off.

What can I do to stop this? It itches so badly that it's painful!

------------------
"The future is no place to place your better days."

Dave Matthews

Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Do you scratch the skin on your legs and it just keeps getting more and more itchy. I know if I even start to scratch an itch on my leg it just seem to spread all over my leg then I can't stop and then when my skin is trying to heal from that it itches. Well I used to have that problem. I figured out that if I take a bath and don't rinse off with the shower a layer of soap stays on my legs and itches like crazy. Also maybe you are allergic to the soap you are using. Have you tried to switch soaps? Try something like a body wash instead of bar soap if that is what you are using. Hope some of this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Aveeno skin soothing body wash!

Old 07-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #4

silvermoon HB User
I agree with joshyboy that it could be the water. I had the exact same problem as you (nothing worked). I suffered all my life, from time I was just a kid. When I got older and moved away to another state, the itching stopped. Whenever I went back home for visit, the itching would start everytime I showered.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:12 AM   #5

silvermoon HB User
Hey Blue Angel, sorry I forgot to tell you in my last post that it was the lime in the water that I believe I was allergic to, so it's possible there is something in your water that you are allergic to also. Sure hope you find out what's causing it. I know what you are going through!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #6

RugbyMuffin1 HB User
Unhappy

BLUEANGEL,
Goodness, I thought I was the only one! Now to everyone giving you advice, realize this is some SERIOUS SERIOUS PAIN we are talking about. It is not caused by different water, different soap, and it can't "cured" by any creams, or powder that I know of.
To give you an idea of what Blue Angel and myself go through. YOu take a shower, sweat, or anything with water and change of temperature, and about 3 minutes after you start to dry off your skin starts to errupt in a hot burning pain. To the point where you can't move. In about 20 min, it all goes away.
Now I play rugby and have an incredible pain threshold. Ex: I played rugby with a hernia stickin out of me cause I didn't know what it was. This, this makes my scream out in pain.
It is a horrible situation. You can't shower or swim without going through about 20 min of hell afterward.
BlueAngel please look at my profile, and email me. 2 Heads working at this is better than one.

By the way the medical term for it is:

Aquagenic Pruritus

Peace to all.

[This message has been edited by RugbyMuffin1 (edited 07-16-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #7

RavenElaine HB User
In case it's JUST itchiness (and not the painful condition someone else mentioned), I have 2 suggestions:

1). You could be dehydrated. Drink more water.

2). Exfoliate! Use a dry brush, or loofah, or bath puff and exfoliate every day. Moisturizer won't do much if it can't get past a thick layer of dead skin.
And it might be a good idea to use a moisturizer for sensitive skin.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2003, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
its most likely restless leg syndrom look up the conditions and symptoms I suffer from it too and the little bugs crawling ant biting sensations are a symptom of it.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #9

Rissiepooh HB User
Talking

I'm so glad some one can give me a reason why my skin itch like it does. I really felt like I might be the only one it's happening to. I'm going to change my soap and fine something to soften my water when I bath.
Thank You

Closed Thread