It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
Post sun burn of the lips?

everytime i go lay out i seem to get my lips burned! to describe it: there is an orangish-red ring around my lips, my lips prune up, and then eventually start to peel. i had this issue last summer when i went to the beach, and it went away after A MONTH. it took forever. and now i have it again. i even wore softlips when i layed out, but i guess the spf 15 isn't that strong? i bought some spf 30 blistex for the future.

right now im using ambesol and carmex on my lips... it's helping, but i'm worried it will take forever to go away like it did last summer.

any help? anyone have this problem?

Old 07-13-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
I won't go into why people shouldn't be laying in the sun to begin with, but you may want to tuck away for the future that lip cancer is on the rise just from doing what you're doing - sunbathing. And believe me, it is not a pretty sight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
i was only at the pool for about an hour... had on spf 15 on both my skin and my lips. im guessing 15 isnt strong enough tho? i think next time im just going to put something on top of my face

Old 07-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #4

Julianna HB User
I would stop using the ambesol. Even though it probably relieves the pain, its very drying. You should try something more soothing like aloe which is good for burns. Burt Bee's has a really soothing lip balm too. Hope you feel better, Take care.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:55 PM   #5

connieo HB User
Exclamation

I don't think you have sunburn! I first experienced the same thing about two years ago. I thought it was sunburn, so I tried all kinds of lip balm with SPF. It seemed to get worse, much worse! It was horrible, I looked terrible, like a clown, and refused to leave the house. It took months to figure out, but apparently I have an allergy to some ingredient found in almost all sunscreens. Since I have used sunscreen all my life, I'm wondering if some new ingredient has been added recently.

Yesterday my sister-in-law used regular sunscreen, and then played with my kids. Enough transferred onto them, that I got a reaction by hugging and touching them later! The only kind of sunblock I can use on myself or my children is very natural stuff with Zinc oxide. Unfortunately, it is not very waterproof, and is very visible (a white cream) when first applied.

If anyone knows anything more about this kind of reaction, please let me know!

Old 07-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
hey everyone! thank you for your input & everything. after searching the web a little i think i figured out it's "cheilitis".. which is an excessive drying & peeling of the lips, usually after sun exposure. i'm going to the derm anyway on the 28th so ill just have it checked out while i am there.

the vaseline got rid of it in like a day... thanks so much!!

Old 09-16-2003, 08:07 PM   #7

sistaluv HB User
Hey connieo,

just FYI...in case you didn't already know. I learned in a Burts Bees seminar that zinc oxide actually is only working when it is visible...that is what protects you from the sun is the coverage. So if you can't see it apply more....sucks but well worth it especially for kids!

Closed Thread