It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2003, 06:59 PM   #1

Floridiangirl HB User
Post deoderant recommendation that lacks aluminum?

Can anyone recommend a good deoderant that doesn't have that aluminum tetrachloride whatever in it that all anti-perspirants have?? I am allergic to the aluminum, but regular deoderant doesn't cut it for the whole-day odor control. So far, my options have been: rash with anti-perspirant, or odor with plain deoderant. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Well there is a product on the market I don't know who makes it but it is a huge crystal or salt rock(i think) that Zapps the odor before it starts. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 09:45 AM   #3

sara435 HB User
IF you go to a natural foods store or anywhere where they sell organic and naturally made cosmetics, you can find deodorants that are naturally made and that do not contain alluminum. Toms of Maine and Burts Bee's are two companies that make natural deoderant, but there are probably many more, you'll just have to check it out for yourself.

------------------
Sara

Old 09-16-2003, 09:00 PM   #4

sistaluv HB User
I use deodorant by Jaso`n (Jason but looks french with accent mark) you can get it at most healthfood stores.
I have tried the stick and the roll on....the stick works 100 times better. I get the aloe and vitamin E kind sometimes the tea tree or the herbs and spice they smell good and work good.

You have to get used to them though...as your body is perspiring all that alluminum out you might be extra stinky during the first few months or weeks....just re-apply often at first. but once your sweat glands are cleared out you may not even need deodorant...or as much. But alluminum is the key ingredient in anti- perspirants...it clogs your pores and glands and keeps you from sweating....hence the difference between the terms deodorant and anti-perspirant. This bieng said all you are really doing is masking the odor when you use a natural deodorant....so unlike an anti perspirant which might keep you smelling fresh for days..(even without a shower) You may have to wash under your arms and reapply after a long jog in the sun or anything that makes you sweat, when using the natural kind. But considering the long term health risks it's well woth it!

PS. Don't fall for that deodorant crystal....thats a crock of **** it did absolutely nothing for me.....big waste of money....doesn't even smell good!

Old 09-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
I use a deodorant crystal and it works very well. Actually I prefer the spray that's made from the same mineral salts as the crystal, but it's pricey compared to the stone. You just need to rub it into your skin after you spray it on, and be sure to cover the entire area all around under the arms.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:49 AM   #6

NMc HB User
I also like the "rock salt" deodorant (DeoKrystal is what I use). It doesn't mask body odor - it stops the bacteria that causes odor from getting out of hand (and one rock lasts for a long time). The result - your natural body odor. An alternative to this could be something called Crystal Clean (by Mennen). Also works quite nicely and has a nice fragrance.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #7

chauvina HB User
another vote for Jason deodarant. I've tried quite a few and find this works the best. You will still sweat but it won't be stinky...and it's all natural

Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
(female)

Susannah HB User
If you look in a grocery store, some of the clear deodorants are aluminum free. Personally, I use Crystal Clean by Mennen and it is aluminum free. Anything that is just deodorant and NOT an antiperspirant is almost always aluminum free. The aluminum is part of the antipersprirant part.

One other brand I've tried is Kiss My Face, and honestly, I haven't been happy with it. It just stopped working about halfway through the day.

Some of the other responses mentioned the natural rock deodorant, but I've read that those usually contain aluminum.

Susannah

Old 11-06-2003, 02:49 AM   #9

Lexi1234 HB User
Spray Mist

I use the spray crystal deodorant... it is odorless... has nothing but minerals in it. If you are interested, I could look up where to buy it cuz my mom bought it for me and i have no idea where she got it... probably target though... you'd be surprised though... the less you use deodorant, the less you need it... I havent been able to use real deodorant for years now and I dont sweat under my arms and I never have a B.O.
Lexi

Old 11-06-2003, 12:35 PM   #10

quietly_serene HB User
The rock deodorants get a vote from me too. I decided to switch over in the winter time when I wasn't sweating as much. Now, I'm only using that as deodorant. From time to time I try to switch to a regular deodorant but I find that with it I smell awful! I don't know whether that is the reaction to the deodorant or what, but I wonder whether I smelled this way before and I never knew it.

~serena (another happy rock deodorant user)

Old 11-07-2003, 11:15 PM   #11

mysterythere HB User
For those of you that know a bit about this aluminum stuff, do you know if it causes a yellow discoloration of the skin on the armpit? I have a slightly light yellowish discoloration there, I only recently noticed it so it's not like apart of my normal skin coloring. So now I'm thinking it's from this bad aluminum, do ya think so? thanks.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #12

quietly_serene HB User
I'm not sure that the deodorant is the cause for the yellow discoloration, but I think I've seen other threads on this board that discuss that. Sorry that I couldn't help.

~serena

Last edited by quietly_serene; 11-08-2003 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread