It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #1

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
Unhappy Itchy skin: (groin, scrotum, & anus) fungus/yeast

Hi, i've got an annoying itch on the anus, the scrotum, and penis. (While writing about this is uncomfortable, I think the discomfort of the ailment supersedes it) I got the problem about a year ago, it was transplanted from a lady friend, who must have had either a yeast or fungus infection. (I'm pretty sure it is one of the two, because after prescription drugs ketoconzole and clortrimazole were used, the symptoms went away (after six weeks of continued use) but, its back again. And I really feel depressed about it. I have done as much reading about all the treatments, preventions on the net, (that I think is humanely possible - next to posting a message here.)
This fungus is like nothing i've ever had - it won't go away, and i believe it is like, for example an STD - type fungus. Its got some drug tolerance built in, because its probably been transplanted from person to person. The itch, when full blown is cumbersome, and difficult to scratch at while in public - needless to say. The question I have for anyone out there is this: Has anyone ever had a similar problem, for a long duration, and been cured of it? If you have, please write, 'cause i need some consolation, that this thing will go away...
I'm considering bathing in a tub of vinegar, and using vick's vaporub, just to experiment. The last thing I want to do, is give this fungus the upper hand, by letting it build up drug tolerance levels.
Please respond, thx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 03:11 AM   #2

Thadius HB User
Did a doctor diagnose it as a fungus?

Old 10-13-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
I'm wondering also if a doctor looked at it and diagnosed it, as I hate to scare you but are you sure it's not herpes? Most people have the mistaken belief that this is something easily recognized if you indeed have it, but in fact is many times missed by the abscence of 'alot' of sores. Some people with it may have just a couple of very small sores that aren't easily seen, and their main symptom is intense itching and redness. I can't help but question the yeast diagnosis if it 'came back' without you actually being subjected to someone with it again. Have you been to the doctor for it this time? If you really believe it's a yeast infection, you could try the cream you buy at the store and see if it helps. But honestly, you may want to go to the doctor before it gets any worse.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #4

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
Thanks for the input. I'll probably be seeing a doctor soon, and go for more definitive tests. I think though, because I don't have any sores, and the itchiness is more or less never ending, that I would consider it being something other than herpes. But again, a re-diagnosis is probably the smart thing to do. Thx

Old 10-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #5

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
A doctor did diagnose the rashes as indicative of a fungus.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:24 AM   #6

Cathb HB User
Hi CouldUseSomeHelp,

I feel for you as boy do I knowhow this feels. I too had a dose of candida/thrush - vaginal and itching all around the area which I couldn't get rid of for around ten months. Made my life a misery and I began to feel very very down. Tried everything known to man and woman - yoghurt douches, diet changes (avoiding sugar big time), various topical and oral antibiotics, herbal preparations (can't remember what they were) and nothing worked.

That is until a friend told me about an over the counter preparation that you can buy here in Australia at the chemist (what you call a drug store?) without a prescription from the doctor. It was a suppository called Floraquin, from a drug company called Searle and came in a brown box and it worked brilliantly in a week or so when all else had failed. Ruined a stack of undies as it stains very badly but I didn't give a damn as long as I got rid of the infection. And I think from memory there was a topical cream available as well.

So maybe you might be able to buy this in Canada as well or order it over the net. Just hope you can still get it as it was some time ago that I last bought a box.

Hope that helps. Good luck and all the best.

Cath.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #7

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
I really appreciate the thought CathB, I think I will be looking into obtaining some of this product, Floraquin that was mentioned - perhaps visiting Australia if needed.

I've been thinking about how frustrating the whole problem is; and its diagnosis; reading about doctor's advice - posted on the internet, which always suggests there is an imbalance between the body's immune system, and foreign 'microbes'. We never hear about the problems of third-party introduced yeast/fungus, which is stronger than the natural body's defence systems. I say this, because, my immune system was next to ideal if not close to optimum, before the infection. Being a 27-year old, non-smoking male, without any health problems prior.

In my situation, it seems the 'problem-invader', has the ability to live deep in the skin, and grow there, - and thus making life miserable with its itchy toxicity.

If there is anyone else who may contribute some wisdom, or who has gone through a similar ordeal, please write, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Since you are male, you would be better helped by taking an oral medication as you certainly cannot put a suppository 'up there' like we girls can

Yes, it can come back, even without being exposed to a 'carrier' or an infected party. Yeast lives deep into the tissues and deep inside the penis or vagina. Getting to it is a problem as the 'waste' from the infection, combined with the bodies active anti-bodies trying to fight off the infection, are what causes the extreme itching.

Monostat is a feminine suppository that will get rid of the infection internally. They also make an ointment that helps to get rid of the external itch. I may come separately, but then again , may be included in the pagkaging, so check the package. The tube of ointment is very small, but it usually only takes a few days or so before the itch gets better, and a few more before it is gone. That is, once the infection has been 'killed', so this might mean taking another round of oral medication for you.

PS: If the itch comes back, the infection is back. It can be transmitted between sex partners even if there is no active evidence at the time of intercourse. Some women/men are carriers and never experience a full-blown infection, but their partners certainly do. It just keeps being passed from one to the other, and back and forth if you are with the same partner constantly.

[This message has been edited by Marti (edited 10-15-2003).]

Old 10-16-2003, 04:51 AM   #9

Cathb HB User
Hi CouldUseSomeHelp

Yep I understand your frustration in getting a diagnosis, confusing info on the net, unhelpful doctors and treatments that don't work - been there done that.

There seem to be three groups of drugs used for these damn infections - broad spectrum antibiotics, sulphur drugs and quinoline derivatives. (That might not be quite right but its close!) Marti is quite right - broad spectrum oral medication and topical creams/ointments might work for you - monostat, nystatin, mycostatin etc - but they certainly didn't work for me.

Floraquin (Diiodohydroxyquinoline is the main ingredient I think) was the only thing that worked for me - and I think you can get it as an ointment or cream called Vagarsol or something similar? A good pharmacist/chemist should be able to help you if you decide you want to try it.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't ever get a definite diagnosis - noone could ever help me with that - all they kept saying was yeast infection/thrush/candida - I now think it was something else altogether but goodness knows what - and in the end I didn't care after I managed to get rid of it. The persistent nature and the awful itching you describe is certainly similar to what happened to me.

So no I didn't cure myself under a doctors direction - in that sense I cured myself. Which is why I took my treatment into my own hands and self-medicated despite the risks, as my 'quality of life' was rapidly deteriorating anyway - I was desperate after a frustrating journey around many doctors and many treatments - some quite expensive. BTW I'm not a doctor or a pharmacist - I just got very well informed by necessity and got lucky with the advice of a friend. Hope you do too.

Good luck.

Cath.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:20 AM   #10
(male)

KingFootie HB User
Cathb,

You maybe the answer to my prayers. I've had problems with excessive sweating, light itching in the groin area and scrotum for sometime now. I've realized that the more sugar I consume, the worse the area smells and it's embarrassing at times. Over the years, my wife and I have had yeast infections, bladder infections,etc and were treated successfully until two years ago. Now, nothing seems to work whether it be a cream or oral medication.

I'm going to buy the cream you suggested (Vagarsol) and keep my fingers crossed.

thx.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:14 AM   #11

Cathb HB User
Hi Kingfootie,

Glad to help - I just hope you can still get the stuff and that it works for you. Although it worked brilliantly for me and I have only had one tiny short infection since, I know it may not work for everyone - but then after you exhaust every known broad spectrum antibiotic on the face of the planet, and then try a few of the sulphur drugs as well, I figure you may as well give this stuff a go if you can get your hands on it.

Good luck to you and your wife and all the best.

Cheers,

Cath.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
could it be
Scabies
Scabies is an itchy condition of the skin caused by a tiny mite (Sarcoptes scabiei).

Symptoms
The mite burrows into the skin, especially around the hands, feet, and male genitalia. It does not usually affect the neck and head, although it may in infants.

The itching is due to an allergic reaction to the tiny mites, and is associated with a rash of red, raised spots. The itch is worse at night, and may often affect more than one family member.

Causes
Scabies is caused by a mite (Sarcoptes scabiei) which burrows under the skin, but the rash and itch are much more widespread than the location of the mites.

The mite may be passed easily by close contact and commonly starts at the wrist, presumably having been picked up through holding hands.

Old 10-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #13

JSPDesigns HB User
I realize that it isn't exactly flattering to be compared to a dog .... however, we had huge vet bills for months on end before we were able to diagnose for ourselves (using the Internet) what our little dog's problem was. She was itching uncontrollably and had just about chewed herself to death. She was bleeding in spots and we couldn't find out what was wrong with her. When we finally determined that she must have a yeast infection, we started doctoring her for that and she has shown amazing improvement. We've been putting hydrogen peroxide in her water and also spraying it directly on her skin. In addition, we're giving her unsweetened, plain yogurt twice a day. It's amazing! She was on antibiotics and steroids for almost two years because she had operations on both knees and both hips and developed arthritis. I hope that the comparison to a dog doesn't offend anybody -- but I wanted to share the treatment. It certainly can't hurt to try it!

------------------
Joan

Old 11-22-2003, 08:03 AM   #14

serenityelf HB User
Re: Itchy skin: (groin, scrotum, & anus) fungus/yeast

Did you find the Floraquin and did it work for you? Have you cured your problem?

Old 11-25-2003, 05:14 PM   #15

CouldUseSomeHelp HB User
Re: Itchy skin: (groin, scrotum, & anus) fungus/yeast

[QUOTE=serenityelf]Did you find the Floraquin and did it work for you? Have you cured your problem?[/QUOTE]
I have not found the floraquin at the local drugstore. i have been trying garlic tablets, and now am using talcum powder as a drying agent to reduce itchiness. this course does work, but no cure as yet. i'm going to go back to the azoles, with higher topical doses, at longer time periods. I hope this works.

Closed Thread