It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2002, 08:43 AM   #1

aine HB User
Post Redness around nostril area

I am female, 32 and have always had good skin but for the last few years I keep getting redness on the sides of my nostrils and on the underneath bits. It is not itchy at all. Sometimes I get white heads, sometimes just red skin, and sometimes it is sore. But it is nearly always there to a greater or lesser extent. It's not dry or flaky as a rule.It is only around the nostril area not across my nose or anywhere else on the face.

I got an antibiotic cream for the nasal area from the doctor about 2 years ago, and it made no difference. I also tried Hydrocortizone 1%, also didn't seem to work. It is not a major disfiguration or anything but as it is constantly there, to a greater or lesser extent, it gets you down.

Any idea what this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #2

briguy HB User
Wow, I have similar symptoms and have a wealth of practical diagnosis from several different doctors. Have you found anything that really works yet? Please let me know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #3

quietly_serene HB User
It could be rosacea. One of my friends had it, that's how I know about it. It's one of those conditions that is almost always misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all and there are drugs that work for some people but not all. Have you been to the doc and been diagnosed? For something like that, maybe you can ask your regular doc when you have your next physical?

HTH,

~serena

Old 10-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #4

Mark_Q HB User
I have a very similar condition to what you have by the sounds of it. However, I only have redness at the sides of my nostrils, not below. Also, it can get a bit flaky at times although I wouldn't say it was dry, if that makes any sense?

Any idea what it might be? I can't see it being rosacea as it stays the same no matter what the weather's like. Please help, it's really depressing, especially if you get any people staring.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM   #5

quietly_serene HB User
Rosacea was only a suggestion. I really can't diagnose something on a board, not only am I not qualified but diagnosing a skin condition over the internet can be very tricky. If this is really that much of a problem for any of you, see a doctor. I don't know what else to tell you at this point, since you have no diagnosis.

~serena

Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #6

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
Talking

Hi,I've heard that the redness around your nose could be a lack of a vitamin (Riboflavin). Don't quote me on that one, but a lack in vitamins might be worth looking into. I have the same thing around my nose, and I was told to eat more eggs. Good luck!

------------------
Take care,

Old 10-30-2003, 06:12 AM   #7

Mark_Q HB User
Thanks for that Dazed.

Little tiny spider veins are starting to show up on the sides of my nostrils now. It seems I must have some skin condition. A visit to the derm. looks like it's on the cards!

Anyone know what I may have from what I've descrived so far?

Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #8

Silverspur HB User
Since you are getting little spider veins in the area, you may very well have Rosacea. If you drink alcohol beverages very often this can happen. Alcoholics are prone to have this problem.

However, I am a teetotaler and I do have Rosacea, result of x-ray treatments for acne back in the 1950's. Have radiation damage but not radiation disease.

Best to see a dermatologist and find out exactly what the problem is.

Closed Thread