It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
phlegm with cellulitis/sepsis

Hi I had a question. A few years ago I developed cellulitis on my calve from a mosquito bite, at the time never heard of it so I thought I had some bug, high fever horrible taste in my mouth/phlegm and not to be gross but it doesn't taste like it does with any cold, very distinctive. Well a few days ago it happened again but on my thigh and it covers a huge area, and I developed the high fever and less than 24 hours later developed the sunburned look and throbbing pain, went straight the the E.R. for antibiotics. a couple days prior I had a few cramps and soreness but the skin looked fine and I thought I just walked too much the day before. Bottom line is since I am a high risk for this apparently (as someone morbidly obese) I am concerned that I be on guard for when it gets serious. I can't find anyone who has this weird phlegm/bad taste/nausea with cellulitis except for orbital and I am just wondering what is going on inside my body like did the infection get into lymph nodes or something? This has to be connected since it happened both times. I want to say I read once that the reason you get a runny nose with some viruses is the immune's system response fighting it or something like that. I am really interested in the stages of this because sepsis scares me to death and I want to know all I can about it.
Thanks.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: phlegm with cellulitis/sepsis

The bad taste can be a sign of blood in the phlegm, which can occur if you get an asthmatic/bronchitis type cough as part of an allergic response to the bug bite. Blood tastes weirdly metallic (very distinctive). It also can be a side effect of some meds, including antibiotics, so the timing is important. Did the weird taste occur after starting antibiotics or before? Just a couple of possible theories for you to mull over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

the taste/phlegm/nausea were the first symptoms and the fever came about an hour later. I started antibiotics about 24 hours after that. I am a valley fever patient but I wasn't 4 years ago when I had it before; and I forgot to specify only the first time was from a bug bite, this time was from a tiny fissure under my stomach (they think). Idk maybe I am just someone that weird coincidences happen to but I can't help feeling the two are linked, ad yes it is a somewhat metalic taste but slightly different from the one when you get a sinus infection. Hope I'm not grossing anyone out lol but it is a symptom after all.

Last edited by Miss Lissa; 05-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Even if these symptoms cannot be explained, I would pay attention to them. They have happened twice, and serve as a good warning that something is coming, so you have some preparation to stay on top of it and get to health care setting.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

Thanks for the response. I got a call a few days ago from the hospital asking if I was taking my antibiotics like recommended (duh lol) and if I was feeling any better and I said I was (thought this was odd, not used to doctors following up have medi-cal and all) and they said if I was feeling better they weren't too concerned but my blood culture was positive. When I asked positive for what (staph strep etc) they said they didn't have that info but I could come and pick it up (had it faxed to my primarycare doc that I see next week) and told me to come in if I felt any worse. I noticed a random baseball size bruise on my tailbone that I do not remember injuring in any way, wondering if it is some kind of left over from the cellulitis, not familiar with it happening that high on the body. Anyway am going to keep a close watch on it and since I have no pain (except if I press really hard on the bruise which isn't in the cellulitis area) and fever and weird congestion is gone, I'm not too worried but it is odd. Anyway never a dull moment with me and my health!

Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If the bacteria was in the bloodstream, this was a serious infection! Glad you are better. I would be very diligent about all minor bug bites, cuts, scratches, etc. and clean them thoroughly with antibacterial soap and apply antibody ointment immediately, 3 X per day until scabbed over, to prevent this in future. Easily infected tissue is sometimes a sign of diabetes. Have you been checked for that recently?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User

I am considered pre-diabetic by one doctor another says I'm normal, but I am morbidly obese and that is why I am at a high risk for cellulitis, it is a circulatory issue my doctor said, also folds of skin are more likely to get an infection. This particular bout was scary because I couldn't find even one place with broken skin.

Reply Reply