It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
(male)

drewlizard HB User
Hydrocortisone Vs Benadryl For Bed Bug/Mosquito Bites

If you have an insect bite whether its a mosquito bite or bed bug bite, which one is better?

Many people mention hydrocortisone but that is a steroid and it causes thinning of the skin. Its ingredient is Hydrocortisone 1%.

Yet benadryl uses 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.

Which one works better? If there is a negative of hydrocortisone, what are the negatives of using benadryl? I see someone on amazon mention its like the same as hydrocortisone except the bad side effects?

Is it true that if you put it for 2 weeks, then those bites will go away? Someone said hydrocortisone would do that. But even if it does, would the red marks go away? Like would those bug bites ever pop like a cyst pimple would?

Someone said if you have a popped bug bite, then u should use benadryl. Thoughts on this?

So hydrocortisone works better than benadryl i hear ppl say but what they mean by that? By healing it faster than benadryl?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Hydrocortisone Vs Benadryl For Bed Bug/Mosquito Bites

Both can be helpful for bites and minor skin inflammations, especially itchy ones. If you are referring to topical Benadryl applied to the skin, I would put that on first, let it dry, then rub in the hydrocortisone cream(white, not greasy) or ointment (clear, greasy). The ointment can work better if the greasiness isn't a problem. This steroid cream is very mild and doesn't cause side effects if used for a short time like a week or two. They work differently and work well together. Benadryl helps the allergic reaction, hydrocortisone helps the inflammation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
(male)

drewlizard HB User

I have many bites on my face that are huge and cystlike. I had thought those were from cystic acne but many of them were from bites. I'm currently putting benadryl topical on it... would that be fine?

I currently put benadryl on those huge cyst like pimples that are bites from mosquito/bed bugs. But what should i put on the ones that are like 7-8 small bites to the face? I have a ton of them on one side of my cheek that was the only part of my face that was clear. I currently just put some aveeno moisturizing lotion that has colloidal oatmeal. Would that be fine?

What im worried is are those red marks going to stay on my cheeks?? I already have tons of red marks from acne now everywhere else on my face and now bed bug or mosquito bites im worried of the marks. This was the only small part of my face that was clear and now my whole face looks infected now and apparently most of this are bed bug or mosquito bites.

Can someone tell me what i shoud put on it? I put benadryl on those cystlike mosquito/bed bug bites and aveeno moisturizing lotion that has colloidal oatmail on the small bites that are pimplelike but small. Or should i put benadryl on that too???

Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes, but if there is any chance these are are bed bug bites you need serious bed bug eradication measures! I personally would go to a dermatologist. This could be a flare of cystic acne. Benadryl won't hurt, but probably won't help much either. It is unusual to get that many bug bites of any kind on face.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
(male)

drewlizard HB User

Hi. These spots im getting are not cystic acne. These are mosquito bites most likely... maybe bedbug.

I just see i got more of these bites on my hands now.

Do you or anyone can suggest what i can i put on it? I dont mind the bites on my hands etc but not on my face. It looks like 7-8 pimples on the side of my face though all very small ones.

Reply Reply