It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
(male)

narvel HB User
Question Mysterious swelling of my left cheek

Hi
I am thirty nine years old male, recently i have developed a mysterious swelling on my left cheek just below the eye, the swelling has started about a month ago, and it comes and goes on and off, soemtime i wake up with abhuge swelling, which subsides by evening then after a gap of four to five days it reappears, and subsides again, but this one that i got two days back is not subsiding, initialy i thought its an allergic reaction, but now i am worried, thought might be a dental issue like the wisdom tooth prob i am facing in my left bottom molar, had a check up done by my dentist which showed no connection with the swelling, got it checked by an ENT, again no conclusion, got a digital xray done, which came out clear, now i have done a CT yesterday and am waiting for the report, i am really worried about this strange swelling of my left cheek, any one facing the same issue ?

any help n advice would come handy and will be highly appreciated, request all to help, thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-20-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Mystrious swelling of my left cheek

Swelling in the upper face can be from a siunus infection. That will show up on the CT scan if present. If you have pain or postnasal drip and congestion, that would be likely. A less common type of swelling is panniculitis, inflammation of tissue under the skin. The CT results will help differentiate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
(male)

narvel HB User

[QUOTE=ladybud;5188217]Swelling in the upper face can be from a siunus infection. That will show up on the CT scan if present. If you have pain or postnasal drip and congestion, that would be likely. A less common type of swelling is panniculitis, inflammation of tissue under the skin. The CT results will help differentiate it.[/QUOTE]

Hey Thanks for your prompt answer n help, I really appreciate that,
The swelling is not at all painful neither is it dripping from the nose or cold, its just the swelling and hence it is giving me so much jitters. Anyway will wait till my CT reports. Will update. Thanks again

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
(male)

narvel HB User

Update #1
Got the X-ray report -- says "NO ABNORMALITY IS SEEN IN PARANASAL SINUSES"
So does the OPG -- says the same as above
CT report shows -- NORMAL " NO SIGNIFICANT ABNORMALITY IS DETECTED"
Now this makes me even more worried
The cause of the swelling should be known at any cost
I really am clueless about the next course of action
Just hope n pray that it's not a serious issue
Will update later
In the mean time, any help or advice is welcome
Thanks everyone

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It sounds like soft tissue swelling which can be panniculitis. If there is no pain, is there any redness of the skin? I think I would see a dermatologist next and take pictures of the swelling when present and at its worst in case it has subsided. Make an AM appointment when the swelling is most likely to be there, and notice if sun exposure precedes the swelling by several hours to a day. Panniculitis is a sign of lupus, but generally affecting only the skin, not necessarily the systemic kind. You may want to review the symptoms to see if you have any other symptoms. A derm may be able to tell if that is what it is. Hard to guess when you can't see something.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
(male)

narvel HB User

[QUOTE=ladybud;5189066]It sounds like soft tissue swelling which can be panniculitis. If there is no pain, is there any redness of the skin? I think I would see a dermatologist next and take pictures of the swelling when present and at its worst in case it has subsided. Make an AM appointment when the swelling is most likely to be there, and notice if sun exposure precedes the swelling by several hours to a day. Panniculitis is a sign of lupus, but generally affecting only the skin, not necessarily the systemic kind. You may want to review the symptoms to see if you have any other symptoms. A derm may be able to tell if that is what it is. Hard to guess when you can't see something.[/QUOTE]

I also think its a derm issue, cos that's the only place left where i did not approach. Initialy there was some redness in the first swelling, but now no pain, no redness in the subsequent swellings, also have tried sleeping with my head up with some pillows behind, which has given positive results. So no new swelling today, only that the previous one has not subsided completely.
Will update. Thanks Again

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
(male)

narvel HB User

Hi
I just remembered, One thing that I forgot to mention in all my posts is that I am facing a little difficulty breathing from my left nostril. i.e. if I close my right nostril and try to breath from the left, I have to put an effort to do that. I don't know whether it has any connection with the problem but it is important to mention.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

It is interesting that it is on the same side as swelling, but it would be unusual for swelling of the face to occur related to a stuffed up nose on that side. The other thing I thought of was a clogged or infected tear duct, but that occurs just under the inner corner of eye between eye and nose, and surely the ENT would have recognized that. That also causes that eye to water a lot as the tears aren't draining down the duct properly. I think since it comes and goes a picture is essential to have to show Dr when you see derm, as invariably the swelling may not be there the day you go.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
(male)

narvel HB User

Sorry to disturb n harass you
But one more strange phenomenon
I feel a strange hard substance just above the lips near the nostril on the left side as if there is some lump or some hard tissues inside which i can feel with my hand
Now I am really worried
dont know where to go, Senior ENT or Dermatologist or get an MRI done
I am really confused by these changing developments
Whats happening with me is not common

Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Well, that sounds like it is in the maxilla (upper jaw) and could be a tooth abcess, but you said you saw a dentist? Did you have dental xrays? The upper canine root sits right at the bottom of the maxillary sinus, so I can't imagine nothing showed up on all the tests you had. I would try to get a copy of the CT scan and report, report of xrays, both sinus and dental, and go back to either the dentist or ENT if the hardness feels like bony hardness. I'm assuming the CT scan was of your sinuses? Maybe now it will be more obvious as to what is going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
narvel (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
(male)

narvel HB User

Hi There
Finally I got it
After a stressful Week, I narrowed down on the cause of the mysterious swelling
Well it was a side effect of the medicine (Lemictal - Lemitrogen) which I have been taking daily for Epilepsy. Which was not the usual suspect as I had been taking this for more than a year without any reaction so I did not consider it a threat.
But then I <read> the possible side effects of lamotrigine
"Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; fever; swollen glands; painful sores in or around your eyes or mouth; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about hurting yourself.

Lamotrigine may cause severe or life-threatening skin rash, especially in children and in people who take too high..."

So skipping the drug for two days (Which was highly against my doctors advice) solved the problem n the swelling subsided. Have an appointment lined up with my Neurophysician in the coming week.
I am immensely thankful to you for all your help and support throughout the dilemma.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Good detective work! It is rather unusual for allergic swelling of the face to be localized and one sided like that, but not impossible. I hope a change of med will solve the dilemna.

Reply Reply

Tags
skin allergies, skin boil pus swelling abscess, skin conditions