It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #1

shellman HB User
Topamax for sleep

I was prescribed seroquel for sleep by my psychiatrist a couple of weeks ago and yesterday my internist told me to stop because it caused weight gain. He prescribed topamax - 2 25 mg at night for 2 weeks and then increase the dosage by one or two, can't really remember. So far neither has worked. I was detoxed from xanax a year ago and haven't been able to sleep since then. I was on it for sleep for at least 10 years. I'm wondering if I will ever be able to sleep again. Any suggestions?

Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #2

saxgirl HB User
Re: Topamax for sleep

IMO, the seroquel's a better bet, if it's anything like risperdal (another drug in the same class). I take the topamax for migraines & it doesn't help me sleep, but it does make me stupid & forgetful (but it works great for the migraines). Risperdal gives me better quality sleep & has other benefits as well...my head feels clearer, more organized, etc.

About the weight issue...I was on topamax (aka stupimax) for several months first & didn't lose any weight, & I haven't gained any weight since starting the risperdal. For awhile it was harder to not pig out, but that's over now & I've actually lost a few pounds in the last couple weeks.

Oops, I just reread your post...I guess if seroquel doesn't work, it's not worth the potential weight gain. How about the usual sleeping pills like restoril, ambien, trazadone, etc?

Last edited by saxgirl; 12-09-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #3

shellman HB User

I must start out by saying I was addicted to xanax for many years and have been off for one year now -- and also haven't slept worth anything either in one year. Trazadone I tried many years ago and it didn't work. I've never tried ambien and I don't know what restoril is. I think my doctors are hesitant to prescribe anything addictive because of my past.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #4

becky1954 HB User

my psych had me on trazodone and 125 mg topamax(dopamax) for awhile.i slept better.i didn't like the side effects of topamax so i got her to take me off.now i can take 3 or 4-150 mg trazodone at bedtime.it seems to help some.

Old 12-26-2003, 04:03 PM   #5

rubindj HB User

Your psychiatrist should be perscribing your psychiatric drugs if he is handling your care -- and your internal medicine doctor should not be counter his orders. At a minimum this was very bad form.

I've never heard of Topamax being used for sleep, although Serequel is used quite often with good effect. Topamax's FDA approved uses are: treatment of siezures. It is also used regularly for neuropathic pain, bipolar, and migraine preventative. Since both Topamax and Serequel are psychotropic / neurological drugs, let your psychiatrist (who has a lot more training in neurology than a internal medicine doc) do the prescribing.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #6

becky1954 HB User

i used topamax for sleep in addition to trazodone.it worked well that way.i don't know if it would have worked well by itself for sleep.i also have temporal lobe seizures so it worked for that also.i just couldn't stand being dopey all the time.i feel much better since i am off of it.
as far as one doctor handling one aspect and another handling the other-i don't think they care who's toes they step on.my psych prescribed provigil b/c i was so tired during the day and my cardiologist told me not to take it regardless of how tired i got b/c i have pulmonary hypertension.i still take it when i am really tired.

Closed Thread