It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

Children Peeing On Floors During Sleepwalking

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
DarlaM
(female)

DarlaM HB User
Question Children Peeing On Floors During Sleepwalking

We have twin boys who just turned 8 years old in April and we are looking for a solution/suggestions. The problem is that during the night they will sleep walk and pee on the floors, walls, down the registers, etc. during this sleepwalking state. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do to handle this?
Thanks so much for any suggestions anyone can give us.
Darla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
Elise57

Elise57 HB User
Re: Children Peeing On Floors During Sleepwalking

Boy, that is a toughy. My oldest daughter used to sleep walk. But peeing on things would be a male issue. Could you try putting them in pull ups? They might be to confused in their sleep state to free their equipment from the pull up. You could add a little duct tape aroung the waist ( just kidding, or maybe not).
They do outgrow the sleep walking. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Elise57; 05-26-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
DarlaM
(female)

DarlaM HB User

I was a sleepwalker myself so I do know it will be outgrown eventually but I am just mystified as to why they pee on things. One night one of the boys got up and walked to the basement steps (which we already have a gate up so our dogs can't go down to eat the cat food) and was trying to free his pee pee out of his undies to pee down the basement steps. I picked him up and took him to the bathroom and he peed and peed and peed in the toilet. He doesn't remember trying to free his pee pee out of his undies to pee down the basement steps.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
BorkBork
(male)

BorkBork HB User

Why not restrict what they are allowed to drink in the hours leading up to bedtime? Maybe they shouldn't drink anything 3 hours before bedtime except maybe an ounce or two to keep the mouth from drying out--until they outgrow the sleepwalking.

BorkBork

Old 05-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
Elise57

Elise57 HB User

Restricting fluids is a good idea. We live in Colorado, a dry climate. I never could forbid a thirsty child a drink of water, however. But after dinner, don't let them have anything but water. My granddaughter has a bed wetting problem. And we have discovered the soda pop increases the problem.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
DarlaM
(female)

DarlaM HB User

They don't drink that much liquids after 6pm and they finally go to sleep around 9 or 930 pm. They really drink more liquids in the mornings then any other time during the day and we hardly ever have soda pop in the house so they pretty much only drink water. If they do have water after 6pm its a couple sips and that is it. That is the first thing we looked at was to see how much they drank before going to bed and in all they probably only drink 3 tablespoons of water before bed.
Thanks for the idea though...

Closed Thread