It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #1

thatsenuff HB User
More tired on CPAP

Been on CPAP for 2 months now. From what I've read everyone feels better on it or can't use it and still feels tired but the same, not worse. I've felt twice as bad since the first time with no improvement after 2 months. Has anyone else felt worse? Am I the only one? Has anyone felt worse and found out why? (also the CPAP seems to make me a bit stuffy in the morning). Tried using warm water with the humidifier but no difference.

Old 06-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #2

Wilrulz HB User
Re: More tired on CPAP

Hi thatsenuff,

Could be several reasons:

Your mask size may not be accurate - you can go by your local Durable Medical Equipment Company to have a measurement and confirm that it is correct.

May need a chin strap to keep your mouth closed while you are sleeping. If your mouth is open, the CPAP air is escaping from your mouth and not opening your airway. Contact your local DME company for this one as well.

Could possibly be a medication you are taking? Please view the info on any meds you are taking.

Most importantly and most likely - you could have a second sleep disorder! Yes indeed, most people will feel better after one month on CPAP. If they do not feel better and their CPAP equipment is working fine and all items in place (chin strap for example) they will need to return to their sleep doctor and explain their continued sleepiness. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recognizes 84 sleep disorders and in each sleep center, they diagnose many people with more than one sleep concern!

Hope this helps you.

Wilrulz

Last edited by Wilrulz; 06-27-2004 at 11:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
Inactive

jeh rpsgt HB User
Re: More tired on CPAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsenuff
Been on CPAP for 2 months now. From what I've read everyone feels better on it or can't use it and still feels tired but the same, not worse. I've felt twice as bad since the first time with no improvement after 2 months. Has anyone else felt worse? Am I the only one? Has anyone felt worse and found out why? (also the CPAP seems to make me a bit stuffy in the morning). Tried using warm water with the humidifier but no difference.
Do you feel like you're awake at night more with the CPAP? It could be that your mask is too uncomfortable and is a distraction from your sleep. Some people adapt to CPAP right away and feel immediate results and some people don't. Personally, it took me a month and about 6 masks for me to get comfortable using it. If you spend time in bed adjusting your mask over and over again that could be the problem.

Closed Thread