It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #1
(female)

FlameDancer HB User
Constantly waking up...

Okay, this is rather long, and probably typical, but I thought I might try some opinions if nobody minds?

Insomnia runs in my family from my Dad's side, so there's pretty much no doubt I have it. But I have strange, fluctuating sleeping patterns. My Mom said even as a baby she could never get me to sleep past 6 hours straight. (this sort of leads me, and others, to think I probably have a chemically caused sleep disorder) Often, I'll go a few weeks where it will be impossible to get to sleep, and then I'll be exhausted for a week or so and fall right to sleep, (even though it'll be around 3 or 4am) but my major problem is constantly waking up. I wake up into the double-digits, even when I'm dead tired. Not for really any reasons, and I've tried sleeping with ear-plugs, to rule out sound. I normally have a lot of nightmares, and have for a very long time, but I'm used to them. The very max I can remember sleeping without waking up is about 3 1/2 or 4 hours. Normally I wake up every hour, or sometimes a few, or up to like 7 or more, depending on the hour, and it changes.

Another problem is I can't get a sleeping schedule turned around... for instance, it's 5:30am now, and this has been going on for a long time. Sometimes I can go 3 or 4 days with a couple hours of sleep, and I never risk falling asleep, like while driving, I begin to often feel sick instead. It's like my body runs on adrenaline, or just, chemicals. And when my body is just wiped out, it starts feeling so sick, and I feel drained, and my eyes will burn, but it still is very difficult to sleep then, and then again... stay asleep. And then when I get enough sleep (even thorough waking up constantly,) I'm awake until the sun comes up, again. It's very frustrating, it makes it hard to concentrate, and my brain is often foggy and rather distant or vague.

I used to have panic attacks, but for the past year or so I'm pretty okay with them, they're rare and not nearly as severe as they used to be, and I'm generally anxious and tense without knowing it... so, it could possibly have something to do with it. I don't know if it's relevant, but I'll often have sudden body spasams right before falling to sleep, just one large body twitch, but I think this is common... And I used to hypervenelate in my sleep, which caused me to wake up feeling sick from lack of oxygen (found this out while vacationing and sharing a hotel room) I don't very much anymore, but I still will wake up sometimes feeling rather sick, and if I start breathing deeply I feel a little worse, and then will start to feel better.

But I've tried supplements, (Valerian, KavaKava, etc) (also just regular vitamin pills) and teas, and relaxation techniques, milk, reading, yoga, music, what have you. And I can completely wear myself out physically during the day, and it seems to have no effect whatsoever. I don't drink large amounts of caffeine, or any other stimulants, so... I've tried 2 sleeping pills,(Ambian, and then an over-the-counter) and I react very poorly to them, and often windup feeling very jittery or sick. And when they do work, it'll only be for maybe three or four hours, and then I'm awake again. Cough syrups that many people use (People keep swearing by NyQuil to me, and ironically my father can take it and he's out like a light, but I can double the dose, and nothing) have absolutely no effect. I'm 18 and in college, I've never really been on medication... the only thing I'm taking is for stomach migraines, Nortryptilin, 30mg for a year or so, which is also supposed to kind of help "relax" me to sleep, but doesn't seem to do anything to effect that. (I know it's listed as an anti-depressant, but that's not why it was prescribed to me) I'm not overweight, ever taken drugs, or been diagnosed with any mental disorders (even though I've never been to a psych, so I guess I can't say) or have any other medical conditions that would theoretically hinder it.

As a last resort, I was prescribed a sleep analysis at Johns Hopkins' (I live in Maryland)... But I was wondering if this is familiar to anyone else? If anything for them worked?

Okay... I'm (finally) done, sorry it was so long, but I just kind of wanted to cover all the bases... Thank you for anyone who actually read it, and any replies ^_^

Last edited by FlameDancer; 09-08-2004 at 03:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 07:40 AM   #2

ROB HOARE HB User
Re: Constantly waking up...

well thats a fair description of sleep apneoa, I suggest you get a sleep test done via your doctor/sleep clinic/hospital, because it will not go away - but is very easily treated.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I also think an overnight sleep study is inddicated as you may well have sleep apnea

Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
(female)

FlameDancer HB User

One major thing is I'm told I don't really snore, and if/when I do it's very faint, which is one of the main symptoms of sleep apnea... and I don't mouth breathe... those seemed to be big symptoms of apnea.. but still maybe so. Thanks for reading ^_^

Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
I don't really snore, and if/when I do it's very faint, which is one of the main symptoms of sleep apnea... and I don't mouth breathe

Although these are the things that everyone thinks about with sleep apnea, it is not a must have. It all depends on where the blockage is in your airway and what is causing it.

The stereotype of apnea is of an overweight, middle-aged man. But anyone can have it. I am a younger, normal weight woman with severe apnea. Also, I don't snore, even the people at the sleep lab told me so! So you can never really know.

You wrote that you have a sleep study scheduled. That is the only way to know for sure, so see what they have to say. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Last edited by analog2000; 09-14-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Closed Thread