It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 12:18 AM   #1

okguy1 HB User
Odor when I sleep - HELP

Whenever I sleep my body gives off a really foul odor, and I don't understand why. In the daytime I smell fine. At first I thought it was genetic... but no one else in my family has this problem.

I'm not fat, and as far as I know my health is fine. I am a smoker but smoke doesn't nearly smell as bad.

Anyways, I'm 26 year old male. The problem started happening 2 years ago when I noticed my pillow and bedsheets begun stinking. Now, when I'm asleep my body gives off such a foul odor that it even wakes me up.

I have to sleep with my window open and air out the apartment each morning. I have to do this EVERY day. I'm not a dirty person. I take 2 complete baths a day cleaning everything: hair, underarm, chest, back, arms... everything. But as soon as I fall asleep... now matter how clean I am or how clean my bed is, my entire bedroom starts to stink. after about 1 hour my entire apartment stinks.

My roomate never mentions it. But it has to be bad on him. Our neighbors probably think we are crazy to leave the porch door open almost 24/7.

because my health is otherwise fine I have not seen a doctor about this. but this cant be normal. if anyone is an expert with this problem id very much appreciate any advice you can give.

thank you.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User
Re: Odor when I sleep - HELP

You did not say if you are perspiring at night. If so, body odor can result from a lack of zinc, eating the wrong foods, alchohol consumption or even smoking too much. Hunters wash with pine soap so that the animals cannot smell their scent. You can even try glycerine soap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

if the odor is like feces then do the kegel pelvic floor muscle exercises, look up on the net.
this tones up the muscles and stops the anus muscle relaxing when asleep

Old 10-05-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Are you sure this is an "actual" odor?Could you just be percieving this somehow?i am sure that there is most likely "some' kind of odor there but if this is as bad as you say it is, don't you think that your roomate would have mentioned this to you by now/Sometimes we percieve things with our senses that seem to be much worse than they are,you know what I am trying to say here?Have you ever asked anyone about this smell or how bad they think it is,or do they smell anything at all?While I am certain that YOU can actually smell this, it might not really actually be as bad as you think.I am in no way trying to minimize what you are dealing with, i just know that sometimes we percieve certain things diferently than the people around us.I would ask your roomate what he/she thinks to see if this really IS there or more just what you "think" is there.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #5

okguy1 HB User

oh its not perceived. the odor is very real. its so bad it wakes me up. my roomate doesnt mention it because hes a nice guy. he notices i leave the porch door open all the time. i hate to have him put up with it. in any case i did some research here and found another thread about someone who had the same problem. it seems he went on an all veggie diet. im in the middle of trying that now.

3 days into it. eating no meat, no sodas (i drank a lot of soda). cutting back on anything artificial. first thing i've noticed so far is that my stool doesnt stink. i cant even smell it when im sitting there. great! in any case, ill try this for a few weeks and i pray it stops the odor.

"if the odor is like feces then do the kegel pelvic floor muscle exercises, look up on the net.
this tones up the muscles and stops the anus muscle relaxing when asleep"

i dont think this is it. it seems the smell is coming from sweat/pores. its emitting from my chest/hair/arms.

Old 10-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive

Anybody HB User

Could be that your body is acid. The veggie diet will help, but beware that you are getting enough protein. Onions and Garlic will give you a body odor, and cabbage, broccoli....
If you need underarm deodorant, your body is acid. Drink lemonade (no sugar). But now you must take calcium not at the same time with the lemons - that would defeat their purpose. Because the acid will take it out of your bones otherwise.

My X-hus had a body odor - it was an acrid smell-sort of sweet-sour. I learned much later (too late) what that meant. This odor is characteristic of schizophrenia. Oh, his behaviour was very normal when he was sober. If that is the problem, You better see a doctor. This is a chemical imbalance.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Exclamation Re: Odor when I sleep - HELP

Your acid levels in your blood may be high and drinking soft drinks and having a poor diet may lead to that. I would recommend you try the vegetarian diet and also add Vege Fuel Isolated Soy Protein Powder by TwinLab. Plan on setting goals on quitting to smoke because smoking reduces alkaline in your blood which plays a factor in controling Ph Balance (Oxygen Levels in the blood).

When Alkaline levels drop in your blood you are more at high risk for cancer and other diseases. Once again soft drink and smoking reduce alkaline in your blood and increase acid.

Vegetables, Fruits, Soy Protein, and 8-12 cups of Water or Green Tea may help you & increase alkaline.

Also try to wash your body with antibacterial body wash that contains antibacterial agent Triclosan.

Do you have any breathing problems or history of asthma?

Best Wishes.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #8

seekingnormal05 HB User

Could you let us know how things work out for you. I'm really curious if the diet and any of these other suggestions help. I've never heard of this problem before. Good luck to you.

(Any if you'll do anything to fix this problem, consider it's cigarettes. Might not actually fix the smell but might save your life!)

Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #9

okguy1 HB User

i gave up on the veggie diet. the thing with that is that i just became too hungry, and dont know what to eat. what are legumes? if anyone here is a vegetarian tell me exactly what you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner and i will follow that.

i stopped drinking soda completely. only juice and water now, and sometimes milk.

the problem is still ongoing. if i could describe the smell it would be bad perspiration + sweetness (like rotting food maybe). someone mentioned schizophrenia. i highly doubt this is it. im beginning to think it may be all stress related.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #10
(female)

1plumppup HB User

Hi, wow, sorry to hear of your difficulties. Might I suggest: Milk thistle to clean your liver while you continue to detoxify your body. Cloraphil gel caps always help with body odor, especially breath. Also, calcium, like corral calcium. This is the real deal to nullify acid. Learn about the acid/alkaline balance and connection to disease. I think other posters mentioned similar. Last, if you can't go pure veggie, then can you cut out red meat, pork and wild game? Just stick with poultry and seafood like fish.

Closed Thread