It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #1

checkmate HB User
Unable to sleep during sleep test

After years of being tired all the time, falling asleep at the drop of a hat, ie. while eating etc., I finally consented to have a sleep study done. I had it done this week, but am somewhat worried about results, or lack there of. I can always go to sleep with little difficulty, and the several times I usually awaken during the evening am able to go back to sleep fairly quickly. However I doubt that I slept more than a total of one hour while having this test done!

I really don't see how they would be able to reach any crediable conclussions as to what problems I may have, when all I did was lay in a bed for 7 1/2 hours and doze for very brief periods of time.

Will find out the results in two weeks, and probably am worried about this for no reason, but am wondering if anyone else has had this kind of a problem, not sleeping during a test which is supposed to find out why I am tired all the time, and spend half my life sleeping!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #2

jess301 HB User
Re: Unable to sleep during sleep test

you sound just like me...although i never fell asleep while eating but everywhere else it seems....driving, church, dr. office, dentist....lol. and yes i couldn't sleep at all during the test--who can with all that stuff hooked up to you? but apparently they could tell alot by the timing of how long it took for me to doze off, what stage of sleep i went into when i did, etc. you would be surprised. just make sure you are using a good doc to read the results--i went to 2 differnet docs, got 2 really different answers. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

I had trouble sleeping during the test. I was really starting to freak out (which didn't help me sleep) because at the time I had no insurance. All I could think was that this was $1300 for nothing! But it turns out that they can still tell a lot, even from sparse data. Obviously the doc will tell you if in fact the test needs to be repeated, but I doubt it.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 AM   #4

cvangogh HB User

yes. i had a hard time too.
took me 1 1/2 hours to fall asleep and it was documented that i woke up 180 times. going back tonight to try the mask machine tonight. my suggestion to you if you go back again is to bring your home comforter and pillows. hopefully i will sleep better this time around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
After years of being tired all the time, falling asleep at the drop of a hat, ie. while eating etc., I finally consented to have a sleep study done. I had it done this week, but am somewhat worried about results, or lack there of. I can always go to sleep with little difficulty, and the several times I usually awaken during the evening am able to go back to sleep fairly quickly. However I doubt that I slept more than a total of one hour while having this test done!

I really don't see how they would be able to reach any crediable conclussions as to what problems I may have, when all I did was lay in a bed for 7 1/2 hours and doze for very brief periods of time.

Will find out the results in two weeks, and probably am worried about this for no reason, but am wondering if anyone else has had this kind of a problem, not sleeping during a test which is supposed to find out why I am tired all the time, and spend half my life sleeping!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I always take a big dose of valium type meds for my sleep study tests, as insurance, I also have problems getting to sleep at home in my own bed

some sleep study rooms are draughty from the air conditioning so I wear a beanie to cover my head and ears

Old 10-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
I always take a big dose of valium type meds for my sleep study tests
Does your doc know that you are doing this? I think this is probably a bad idea. Valium is a tranquilizer and you could be altering the results of your sleep study.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I had a sleep study done too but I was dissapointed with my results. I felt like I barely slept. But they said otherwise. I woke up 16 times (which is nothing to 180! WOW!) in 7 hours which is apparently normal, everyone goes through deep and light sleep patterns through the night, but I am one of the ones who wakes fully and takes a bit longer to fall asleep when normal people don't even know they have woken up. I probably would have woke up more but the weekend before my test I went out of town to my sisters (dumb idea) I was tired from the trip so I think it affected my results. They just told me I'm a person who needs 8+ hours a sleep where others can function on 6. I am still dissapointed about my test, but it took me so long to get a Dr to refer me and get a study at all that it probably isn't worth the hassle again. Goodluck with your results.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #8

Mountainlady HB User

In my opinion, sleeping in a sleep study is very difficult. I had two of them, one with a breathing machine, which I could not endure. I found it difficult for a number of reasons, e.g. different bedtime, wiring, atmosphere, cold room, and stress; apparently, they can tell a great deal from whatever sleep you have gotten during the study. I had to lose 20 pounds because of Sleep Apnea or get a machine. I lost the weight, and it worked very well.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #9

checkmate HB User

Guess I was alittle off on the amount of sleep I had during study! Thought I only dosed off a few times, but after talking to Dr. today I learned that total sleep time was just under 4 hours. Averaged 49.7 arousals per hour. No wonder I am always tired! Back to sleep clinic next week for tritation of cpap, and then hopefully off to dream land I go.
Thanks to all those who replyed.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #10

Rachitt HB User

Hi there,

I had to go through 4 sleep studies in the end - the first three were part of the NHS (UK) where they made me sleep on a slab of concrete with electrodes stuck to me! I mean, how on earth did they expect me to go to sleep on that!! I did eventually but I must admit, I was worried about the results. That was eight years ago and the only thing they were looking for was Narcolepsy - which they didnt find.

My condition carried on and worsened so they said they would do more tests. Again, two more times they found nothing.

2 years ago I was sent to a Private Sleep Clinic in London and they knew what they were doing!! I was able to lay on a bed - I still had hundreds of wires on me and it did take a while to sleep and be comfortable but the results came back and they discovered after all this time I had Primary Hypersomnia. They could tell this from the time it took me to go into REM sleep, how long it took to actually doze off and also how many times I woke up.

So, dont worry, they will be able to tell so much from your sleep study - even if you think it all went wrong.

Good luck.

Closed Thread