It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User
Sleep Apnea Vs. Narcolepsy

Can someone explain to me the difference between sleep apnea and narcolepsy? I know they're not the same thing but...I've been having problems staying awake and am going to get a sleep study after Christmas but...if you're sleepy during the day hours (after sleeping all night) which could you possibly have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea Vs. Narcolepsy

I am glad you are having a sleep study soon. That should help figure out what is going on! Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing briefly in sleep. Common symptoms of it are snoring, waking up choking or gagging....
Narcolepsy is a sudden feeling that you cannot stay awake no matter what.....

Both of them can leave you feeling drained during the day even after a long time asleep....the sleep is not restful or efficient.

Sorry you are having these issues, but glad you are having it checked out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

yawningdog HB User

Sleep apnea is when you actually stop breathing during the night. This is a really serious problem and can lead to heart damage. The treatment is usually a breathing machine that increases oxygen flow.

Narcolepsy is more of a incorrect way of sleeping. People with narcolepsy can fall asleep very easily and very quickly, but they go through the sleep cycle a little differently from everyone else. Narcoleptics jump into the dream phase of sleep almost immediately. Everyone else goes though a couple of phases of deeper and deeper sleep and then dream. This cycle phase 1 to REM sleep is repeated throughout the night and it gets longer each time. So people get their most restful and helpful sleep in the stage before dreaming and also in the last and longest cycle before waking. Narcolepsy cause people like me to skip the restful phase in favor of dream sleep. I have spectacular dreams, but boy am I tired all the time. The treatment is pills that make you more alert, but there is no real cure for it.

let us know what the test shows.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

they can test you for narcolepsy at the sleep lab, they know about it there, I was tested but didnt have it, my test took about 8 hours

Closed Thread