It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User
Side Effects of CPAP Usage?

I have been on a CPAP machine for about a month and a half now. I have been using it every night, here are some things im finding:

- WHen i wake up in the AM sometimes i burp a whole lot, and sometimes gag
- My chest feels strange
- i typically now sleep from like 12AM-6AM. Once i wake up at 6, its very difficult to fall asleep again, or to stay asleep
- sometimes i have a slight headache throughout the day
- My body feels - off, dont know how to explain it
- sometimes i awake in the AM in the middle of a dream. This typically leaves me feeling not so great through the morning
- throat is sometimes slightly sore
- face, below my eyes feels hot sometimes, eyes feel strange

Do all these things sound like they are related to using the machine? My resp. therapist says it will probably take me months to get back to normal health from years of sleeping poorly.

Any other one with experiences like this?

On a positive note, i am not tired during the day!

Adam

Old 04-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User
Re: Side Effects of CPAP Usage?

I don't know about your other symptoms, but for me these things are definitely CPAP related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2000
- WHen i wake up in the AM sometimes i burp a whole lot, and sometimes gag
This could be caused by air being forced into your stomach during the night (by the pressure of the CPAP). This is actually pretty common, especially if your pressure is high. Sometimes it will lessen with time or a different type of mask. Switching to a BiPAP (if that is an option for you) might also help.
Quote:
- throat is sometimes slightly sore
Are you using a humidifier? When I don't use mine, I get a sore throat. This could also be caused by a high pressure.
Quote:
- face, below my eyes feels hot sometimes, eyes feel strange
Your eyes might feel dry and irritated or otherwise strange due to the air blowing in them from leaks in your mask every night. I had this problem, and it drove me crazy! My current mask is a ResMed Activa, and it is great! No leaks! Everyone's face is different, so if you can find a mask that fits you correctly, this should diminish. The irritation or burning you feel on your face could be caused by the air pressure or the mask itself. For me, this lessened over time, but it has never gone away completely.
Quote:
- My body feels - off, dont know how to explain it
Like you said, you have been sleeping poorly for YEARS. That type of long-term sleep deprivation can take months or more to recover from. You will probably feel strange for awhile.

I am glad to hear that you are feeling less tired with CPAP. Talk with your respiratory therapist about your problems and see what can be done. Then, just give it some time. It took me over four months to start to feel comfortable with my CPAP, and it literally saved my life - I will never go back to how I felt without one!

I am sure things will just keep getting better for you! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Well thats good to know. Thanks for the information. I guess the hardest part is dealing with the 'not feeling completely right" part of it...causes me to get anxious, and well, from there everything goes downhill haha. I guess i have to just try to relax and go with the (air) flow....

Old 04-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

cj313 HB User

hey adam2000, i know how you feel i've been on bi/pap //cpap machine since august of 2003. the dry, icky eyes were a major pain for me too.my eye dr about had a fit and said that i needed to call and get a mask change right away. catracts, glaucoma run in my family and dry eyes from bi/pap does not help either of these.

the one thing that i have found that helps me a great deal is making sure that everything is spot-lessly clean (mask, tubing, humidifer, filters).

but i'm having a great deal of problems sleeping for any length of time on my machine. i take ambien and find the mask/ chinstrap on the floor in the morning. short of handcuffing my hands to the headboard i have not found the answer. i feel pretty crappy most days. and the way my family dr explained it to me is this there are 3 zones of sleep on the machine Red zone:0.00 to 3.9 hours is not enough sleep, Black zone:4.0 to 6.9 hours on the machine is better but you may still feel pretty tired, Blue zone: 7.0 to 8.0+++ hours is the best and you are getting enough O2 into your blood stream to help heal your body and rest your mind. you may need to go back to the sleep lab or dr to see if anything else more can be done.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Thats explains it...i figure im getting 6 hours straight when i go to bed at 12am. I wake up at 6 and have a hard time getting back for 2 more hours.

Tonight maybe ill try to go an hour earlier and see if i still wake at 6. its amazing how precise mt 'clock' is. Every morning, 6 am on the nose, i wake up...

Closed Thread