It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
(male)

mark one HB User
Resmed CPAP machine - Clinical menu

Hi I gt a Resmed CPAP machine a few weeks ago and I want to reset the RAM available, currently I have a max of 20 min but the full 45 min would be great.

The machine is a S7 Lightweight.

Can anyone help please!

Old 05-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: Resmed CPAP machine - Clinical menu

If there's a way to change it, it would be on their website. I think they have PDF's of manuals available.

whackedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
(male)

mark one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackedback
If there's a way to change it, it would be on their website. I think they have PDF's of manuals available.

whackedback

Thanks I have emailed Resmed and received the following answer

"Thank you for your enquiry. The Max ramp time available is 45 mins, but the
option to display the ramp times available, is an option only available in
the Clinical menu."

They do not want to tell me how to get to the clinical menu and told me to conntact the sleep clinic. I am currently working away and I am over 200 miles away from it

Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

You could call the clinic and explain your situation. Maybe they will tell you how to do it over the phone.

wb

Old 05-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackedback
Maybe they will tell you how to do it over the phone.
Most likely the staff at the clinic CAN tell you how to reset your machine, but they probably won't want to. CPAP is a prescription medical device, and they are hesitant to allow users to reset their settings on their own.

You have only been using CPAP for a few weeks? Keep in mind that when the machine is on ramp, you are not getting the full benefit. So, if you fall asleep before the 45 mins., you will not be receiving adequate pressure during that time. It is possible that once you get used to CPAP you will only need a 20 min. ramp.

But don't let them tell you it can't be done! I don't know about your specific machine, but my husband uses a ResMed, and it is stunningly easy to reset.

A few months ago, his CPAP kept (I thought) resetting itself. I thought the machine was defective, and was starting to lobby our insurance company to replace it. But in the meantime, I would have to drive 40 mins. to the home health place and have them reset it. One day the respiratory therapist was in a hurry and did it in front of me. I was shocked! There is a little port on the machine that looks like a telephone jack. I just assumed that was how you set the machine, by plugging it into a computer or something. I still don't know what that port is for, because the machine is re-set by pushing a certain combination of buttons on the top of it. And the combination necessary to reset this expensive piece of medical equipment? 1 -2 -3 -4! I am not kidding!

I finally figured out why we were having such trouble with the machine. Whenever my husband's 5 year old niece would come to visit, she would push the buttons in order, causing the machine to reset! I knew that she did this, and didn't think there was any harm.

Hope things work out for you!

Old 05-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
(male)

mark one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog2000
Most likely the staff at the clinic CAN tell you how to reset your machine, but they probably won't want to. CPAP is a prescription medical device, and they are hesitant to allow users to reset their settings on their own.

You have only been using CPAP for a few weeks? Keep in mind that when the machine is on ramp, you are not getting the full benefit. So, if you fall asleep before the 45 mins., you will not be receiving adequate pressure during that time. It is possible that once you get used to CPAP you will only need a 20 min. ramp.

But don't let them tell you it can't be done! I don't know about your specific machine, but my husband uses a ResMed, and it is stunningly easy to reset.

A few months ago, his CPAP kept (I thought) resetting itself. I thought the machine was defective, and was starting to lobby our insurance company to replace it. But in the meantime, I would have to drive 40 mins. to the home health place and have them reset it. One day the respiratory therapist was in a hurry and did it in front of me. I was shocked! There is a little port on the machine that looks like a telephone jack. I just assumed that was how you set the machine, by plugging it into a computer or something. I still don't know what that port is for, because the machine is re-set by pushing a certain combination of buttons on the top of it. And the combination necessary to reset this expensive piece of medical equipment? 1 -2 -3 -4! I am not kidding!

I finally figured out why we were having such trouble with the machine. Whenever my husband's 5 year old niece would come to visit, she would push the buttons in order, causing the machine to reset! I knew that she did this, and didn't think there was any harm.

Hope things work out for you!
Your right I rang the clinic who said they would get back to me but never did.

I am in the UK and the CPAP is not a prescription device here, I got quotes for a machine and mask but I got it throughthe clinic as it was cheaper. I am about to order a humidifier for the machine from Resmed direct.

The jack is for software upgrades.

Just to add that the reason I want to alter the ram setting is that just as I am falling asleep the machine comes on full and wakes me up,

Some machines have a ram of upto 4 hours

Last edited by mark one; 05-11-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Mark
I have the ResMed S7, CPAP machine. I did get my CPAP through my insurance company and it was brand new with the manuals. I believe that I can only help you if you have the same model as I. Although if you learn the button function's you may be able to change your setting's. But this also depends on the maximum ramp setting that was already programmed into your machine. My CPAP has already been programmed by the nurse that brought my machine to me. The maximum ramp setting for me is 20 minutes, but this seems to work for me. If you have experience using a cell phone, then using the key buttons will seem much easier to use. Here is a little info on what each key stands for:

Up & Down Key - Allows you to scroll through the ResMed menus and setting options.

Left Key - Performs the function indicated by the guiding text displayed above it on the LCD screen. Guiding text includes menu, change, and apply.

Right Key - Performs the function indicated by the guiding text displayed above it on the LCD screen. Guiding text includes exit and cancel.

Front Key - Starts or stops treatment. This is the large key on your machine.

The ResMed S7 unit provides a set of functions which are arranged into menus. Via the LCD screen, the menus allow you to view and change the settings for a particular function. You can access the menus when the Ramp screen is started. After the Welcome Screen appears and device self-checks are complete, the Ramp screen appears. In the Ramp screen, you can immediately set a ramp time. Ramp times is the period during which the pressure increases from a low comfortable pressure to the prescribed treatment pressure. Ramp time can be altered in 5 minute increments (from 0 to a maximum ramp time set by your clinician) by using the UP/DOWN key. After you use the UP/DOWN and see the setting that you would like to use, or what is offered, press the LEFT key (apply) to select the setting option. When you have finished selecting your Ramp, then press the RIGHT key to exit. Remember if you look at your LCD screen you will see the functions on the bottom of the screen just like most cell phones.

I hope this information has helped you.
Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea
PolyNeuropathy

Old 05-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

do you mean the ramp which gives you a lower pressure to help get you off to sleep
I have a resmed S6 and my ramp only goes up to 20 minutes but I dont use it at all

Closed Thread