It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

ragbabybsk HB User
CPAP noise!!

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP machine since the middle of March. I started with the mask that goes over the nose. I have no problems using the CPAP and feel much better when I do. However, my husband can't sleep because of the noise that the air vents make. I made a compromise with him where I'd use the CPAP every other night but even that doesn't satisfy him - when it's my night he's taken to sleeping on the floor in a little room off of our bedroom. Neither one of us is happy with this arrangement and I really need to use the machine every night (or my insurance will not pay for it) Today I got the nasal pillow and tried it for a 1/2 hour when I got home but I think it'll still be too noisy for him. My GP said that he'll get use to it but Bill won't even try. He refuses to wear ear plugs. Deep down I feel that he thinks this whole thing is unnecessary - that if I just lost weight and just didn't give into feeling lethargic, tired and sleepy all the time then I wouldn't need it. I am really, really frustrated especially since I do feel so much better when I use the CPAP. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? This separate room bit is just out of the question.
Denise

Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User
Re: CPAP noise!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragbabybsk
I made a compromise with him where I'd use the CPAP every other night but even that doesn't satisfy him - when it's my night he's taken to sleeping on the floor in a little room off of our bedroom.

My GP said that he'll get use to it but Bill won't even try. He refuses to wear ear plugs. Deep down I feel that he thinks this whole thing is unnecessary - that if I just lost weight and just didn't give into feeling lethargic, tired and sleepy all the time then I wouldn't need it.

I am really not trying to offend you, but I think you need to have a serious talk with your husband! He wants you to only use your LIFE SAVING medical equipment every other night!?!?! That is just crazy!

Sleep apnea means that you actually STOP BREATHING while you sleep. So you are being slowly suffocated every night! And your husband thinks that is okay? I would leave my husband if he ever said such a terrible thing to me.

Sleep apnea is a serious medical problem. It is not just a matter of willpower. In the same way that you cannot just will yourself into having lower cholesterol, you cannot just force yourself to be less tired. Have you tried explaining to your husband that untreated apnea puts you at a higher risk for heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and even DEATH? This is not something to play around with. Maybe if you had your husband speak with your doctor? So that he had a better understanding of what is really going on?

People who are overweight do have higher rates of apnea. But plenty of thin people do, too. So even if you lose weight, your apnea might not decrease. And to safely lose a large amount of weight (like 50-100 lbs) could take a year or more. Even if you would or could do that, would you really want to leave your apnea untreated for all that time?

I am surprised that your husband finds the machine so noisy. Do you have an older model? Most of the machines are really pretty quiet. Make sure none of the air vents are blocked by carpeting or furniture.

As for practical advice, if he won't wear earplugs, how about turning on a fan or keeping the radio on low? Or you could try one of those white noise machines, or leaving the window open.

It is probably obvious, but your post really angered me. If my husband ever suggested that I should not use my CPAP, I would show him the door. I would absolutely pick needed medical equipment over a man who would rather I suffocate in my sleep than be inconvenienced by a little noise.

I hope that two of you can come to an agreement. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

by vent, do you mean where the air flows out near the mask? this shouldnt make any noise, if it whistles, something is wrong with the vent
if the CPAP machine is noisy, a box of sound absorbant board helps, making sure to allow enough air to be sucked into the machine

husband may need to try several different earplugs to find some that are comfortable for him, he seems unreasonable as the CPAP will greatly improve your health

Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

i think your husband is being very selfish i have sleep apena very bad and i have asked my husband if my machine is noisey and hard for him to sleep he says no he sleeps better because he no longer has to where ear plugs because of my snoring he says sometimes he wakes up because mask is half off my face he just slides it back on and goes back to sleep he would rather wake up to mask making noise when off my face then wake up to me being dead but as far as machine being noisy he hears no noise we even joke about my mask on being a pilot lol so yes i think your husband is being selfish if i dont where mine my husband has a fit

Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

ragbabybsk HB User

I agree with everyone about my husband being selfish although I can also sympathize with him - since I started using the cpap he hasn't been able to sleep and has been disoriented and forgetful at work. I can't understand why he won't try to get accustomed to it like I am. My family dr. even copied the report from the sleep center for him to read.

I've been reading up on other manufacturer's masks (I think mine is a repironics, my machine is a resmed) and have a number to call - I'd really like to find the quietest mask I can - even if we have to pay for it ourselves (the stupid insurance co. only lets you get one mask every 3 months and I just got a nasal pillow which I think is even noisier)

What kinds of masks does everyone else have?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

my machine is a remstar and i use the mask that goes over your nose

Old 06-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

you must be doing something wrong as masks arent noisy, the machines make a noise but not the masks
what does the noise sound like?

Old 06-22-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

I have to agree with hry33, something must be wrong, because masks don't make noise. Are you snoring over your CPAP? Is the noise wind blowing, like your mask is leaking? Does your vent get blocked by pillows or blankets?

Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone
I had first started with a nasal mask. But I kept opening my mouth while sleeping and that is what would make some noise, and wake my husband. I then tried the face mask. Unfortunately, I have great difficulty in trying to get this mask to stop whistling. I keep adjusting the head strap, but the only way to get it to stop whistling is to put it on really tight. One night I had it on so tight that the following day it had bruised my nose, and then I couldn't wear it for several nights. Needless to say, I am now wearing my, "ResMed-Mirage Activa Nasal Mask." This mask is so comfortable and I can put the head strap on loose, and it is so quiet. My face mask was also a, "ResMed-Ultra Mirage." My sister has also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and she is also having the same problems with her face mask. So it looks as if I will next have to get the chin strap. Until then, my hubby will just have to put up with a little noise until I get the chin strap. He told me that he just nudges me when I open my mouth as the mask then makes noise and sometimes wakes him. When he nudges me, I am told that I close my mouth. I bet he wishes he could do this during the daytime too......lol
Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
PolyNeuropathy

Old 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

the nasal masks cant work if the mouth is opened when alseep and this fact isnt mentioned as often as it should be, chin splints dont always work and some tape on the mouth may be needed perhaps tape on the center of the mouth only may be safer
taping the mouth is likely to cause problems during a power interuption of course

Old 06-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

My husband has a remstar cflex and it makes about as much noise as a refrigerator. It looks wierd, but it is so much quieter than the snoring and gasping...

Old 06-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

some CPAPs are noisier than others, make sure the air intake filter isnt blocked with dust, earplugs may help, some use an extra long airhose so the machine can be positioned further away
place the mahine on a soft surface, usually they seem more noisy on a hard floor or shelf

some people freak out when they see a person using a CPAP wearing the mask

if he has a nose mask, make sure he isnt opening his mouth when asleep, as this stops the machine from working

Old 06-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Hry33
I am aware of the fact that the CPAP doesn't work when wearing a nasal mask and opening the mouth. I believe this is why it will then make unusual noise. But when it wakes my husband he is able to get me to close my mouth without even waking me. Sometimes I myself will wake from the noise and then close my mouth. I still haven't gotten the chin strap. Thanks for the tip on the tape, but if I have to tape my mouth closed for the machine to work, I would rather not use it. So I am praying that the chin strap will work for me. If not then perhaps I will try yet another face mask. The one that I do have is supposed to be one of the best so I don't have much hope.
Jeanne

Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Both of my parents use CPAP machines at the same time for a period and even with two of them they still didn't produce enough noise to cause sleeplessness for anyone else in the family. My husband who is a very light sleeper, none of my 6 children or anyone ever even mentioned that the noise was loud or annoying.

And to be honest, the CPAP was given to you to help you with a serious medical condition and if I was you I would tell your husband either accept the noise and find a way to adjust and adapt or he deserves to sleep in the pond with the other scum.

Good Luck,

Old 07-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
(female)

emily230 HB User

"Deep down I feel that he thinks this whole thing is unnecessary - that if I just lost weight and just didn't give into feeling lethargic"

Excuse me for saying this, but it sounds to me as if deeper issues are at play here. When others here said your husband is being selfish, unreasonable, you stuck up for him. Yet your intuition tells you he thinks you're to blame.

If I were you, I'd listen to my intuition and talk to a marriage counselor. If hubby doesn't want to go, then you'll still benefit by going alone, (I know, I've been through this on different issues).

His not wanting you to use life saving medical equipment means something is very wrong with this marriage, and you both need to work on it. You could work on not enabling, allowing him to blame you for / ignore your medical needs.
hugs, Emily

Closed Thread