It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User
Question Is Diphenhydramine HCL (aka Sleepinol) 100mg taken daily ok??

Ive been taking over the counter sleeping aids for several months and on the package it says that if sleep trouble persists for more than 2 weeks, i should contact my physician.... but i havent. The package also says to take 1 pill (50mg) but i take 2 (100mg) since 1 no longer does anything to me. i try not to take it everynight, because i dont want to become "hooked", but if i dont take it ill be up intil 3am. I dont belive i have insomnia, i just need something to adjust my sleep schedule (I've ALWAYS been a night person). I havent told this to my doctor, because im afraid of the "high-end" stuff that i cant afford. Sleepinol seems to be working ok, but only if i take twice of what i should be taking. Will I be ok if I just continue to take 100mg daily?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User
Re: Is Diphenhydramine HCL (aka Sleepinol) 100mg taken daily ok??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxen
Ive been taking over the counter sleeping aids for several months and on the package it says that if sleep trouble persists for more than 2 weeks, i should contact my physician
It says that because if your sleeping problems last for over two weeks, they might be due to an underlying medical problem. Simply treating the symptoms (sleeplessness) isn't going to help. You need to find out what is really going on and fix that, and that means an honest visit to the doctor.

Quote:
I dont belive i have insomnia, i just need something to adjust my sleep schedule
But trouble sleeping IS insomnia. If it was just a matter of adjusting your sleep schedule, I would think that "several" months would be more than enough time. Something else might be going on here. How else have you tried to adjust your sleep schedule? Are you practicing good sleep hygiene?

Quote:
I havent told this to my doctor, because im afraid of the "high-end" stuff that i cant afford.
Your doctor cannot force you to do anything you don't want to do. You should at least get a doctor's advice on this, even if you ultimately decide not to take that advice. Since this problem has been going on for so long, it is unlikely that you are going to be able to solve it on your own.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!! And thanks for breaking it down.
I thought insomnia was when sleep didnt come at all. I do sleep, but i tend to get sleepy in the afternoon (after lunch). If i didnt have a job, i would probably be sleeping until around 3pm... Sometiems i sleep 5hours sometimes 14hrs... it seems to get worse during the summer. Ive tried things like drinking warm milk at night before bed, but it doesnt seem to do anything.
My main concern was those pills, doubling the dose. I didnt want to wake up one morning (or afternoon,.. lol) with liver damage or brain damage because of them...

Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
I thought insomnia was when sleep didnt come at all.
No, that's part of it, but it can be other things as well. The usual "standards" for insomnia are
1)difficulty falling asleep
2)waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
3)waking up to early in the morning and being unable to go back to sleep
4)unrefreshing sleep

Quote:
Ive tried things like drinking warm milk at night before bed, but it doesnt seem to do anything.
This has gone on for so long that home remedies are probably not going to cut it. You need professional help.

Quote:
My main concern was those pills, doubling the dose. I didnt want to wake up one morning (or afternoon,.. lol) with liver damage or brain damage because of them...
Well, any medication has the potential for liver or kidney damage, even over the counter stuff. Some people are more at risk than others.

I hope you can figure out what is going on and start to get some sleep! Good luck.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Ive been taking over the counter sleeping aids for several months and on the package it says that if sleep trouble persists for more than 2 weeks, i should contact my physician.... but i havent. The package also says to take 1 pill (50mg) but i take 2 (100mg) since 1 no longer does anything to me. i try not to take it everynight, because i dont want to become "hooked", but if i dont take it ill be up intil 3am. I dont belive i have insomnia, i just need something to adjust my sleep schedule (I've ALWAYS been a night person). I havent told this to my doctor, because im afraid of the "high-end" stuff that i cant afford. Sleepinol seems to be working ok, but only if i take twice of what i should be taking. Will I be ok if I just continue to take 100mg daily?
I think it's a good idea to see the doctor for a physical to rule out any physical conditions, but that's all. Take it from someone who's been there: the high-end , prescription stuff for sleep is far worse to take than the OTC stuff in the long run as they have issues of severe dependancy, tolerance withdrawals, protracted withdrawal syndromes.

Most prescriptions are either benzodiazepines or benzo-like drugs. They can change brain function and cause lack of ability of the brain to produce it's own sleep chemicals drastically over time. THey are only meant for 2-4 week use in only severe insomnia patients but those guidelines are often ignored by doctors.

Usually OTC are simply antihistamines which will not alter brain functions in a profound way and do not have long withdrawal syndromes.

The worst that happens with OTC is ineffectiveness because they really don't actually put the brain to sleep like benzos or other prescription pills but merely "induce" sleep with the drowziness side effect. Sleeping pills actually are anesthesia in pill form.

Last edited by Jennita; 07-10-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Closed Thread