It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User
Waking after a few hours, not falling back asleep

I've been having this problem for 1/2 a year now. I don't have the best sleep routine, but that doesn't seem to be the cause of this.
I just lost my job because of insomnia related absence! So even when I had a regular schedule, this was a problem.
Basically, I'd fall asleep, then wake up anywhere after 2-3-4-5 hours. I feel very sleepy when that first happens. Usually there's no reason why I am awakened. So I go and pee and try to go back to sleep, but that doesn't happen. The more I lay there, the less sleepy I feel. At the same time I feel groggy and I know that I need to get more sleep, so I keep trying. I even take some herbal sleep aides, but nothing.
Why did this start happening? I never had the problem before? Could this be blood sugar related?
I did have problems falling asleep before, but once I did, I would not wake up until the alarm rang or some sort of noise would wake me. Even still I used to be able to fall right back asleep, but not now.
Please help, I'm desperate.
I need to find another job quickly, but can't afford to loose one again!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User
Re: Waking after a few hours, not falling back asleep

So I guess noone has any idea...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Waking after a few hours, not falling back asleep

I have no idea how to help you, but I do hope you find an answer.

I finally had to quit my teaching job at age 52 (even though I couldn't start drawing my small pension until age 60) because of a similar problem. I was totally stressed out and couldn't get to sleep at night, then when I did, couldn't stay asleep. But it wasn't the stress of the job entirely, either, as I've been "retired" now for eleven years and can still sleep only four or five hours most nights. At least now I fall asleep promptly, usually within less than five minutes. But when I wake up in the night (as I do 350 or more days a year), unless I've had only two hours of sleep or so, I can't get back to sleep. So I've finally resigned myself to getting up, reading or sewing or getting on the computer, then waiting until I'm sufficiently tired to have breakfast and go back to bed. I usually have to be awake a minimum of four hours before I can get back to sleep again. So I might go back to bed at 8 or 10 am! Needless to say, one couldn't very well be a working woman and have sleeping hours like that!

I wish I lived on a planet with twelve hour days. That would work for me.

If anyone finds a solution, I'd like to know it!

Closed Thread