It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Question Sleep Apnea CPAP(?) machine

I normally post on the fibromyalgia board, but hope some folks here can help!
Hello everyone, I was told I have sleep apnea yesterday and will be going in to try a CPAP(?) machine in my 2nd sleep study. I have no idea if this is obstructive or due to central nervous system. It all started when I fell and landed on my neck last October. My question is: Does anyone use a breathing machine at night? and if so, How effective is it for you? What are the pros and cons of the machine? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
~Mim

Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
(female)

anxiouslady HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea CPAP(?) machine

Hi Mim,
Sorry to hear about your apnea diagnosis. Its important to find out whether you have central, obstructive or mixed apnea.
Both myself and my 10y.o. have obstructive sleep apnea. I use a c-pap. There are many pros and cons to using it but the benefits greatly outweigh any of the cons.
Its a big adjustment to learn how to sleep with a mask strapped to your face. It can be uncomfortable but you learn to live with it once you start to feel the benefits. The right pressure setting is very important. They will figure out what it is when you have your next study. Most c-pap users need to go in for titration within 6 months to a year after beginning c-pap. Titration is a sleep study where your pressure is adjusted. Usually the first setting is not completely accurate because they expect to strap this thing on your face and fall soundly asleep with it the first time you use it. I had a very hard time sleeping during the study with it on. Only got 2 hours of sleep.
You need to make sure you monitor your symptoms and if you feel that they do not improve or slowly start to return, then thats a signal that pressure needs to be adjusted.
Next part comes choosing a mask. Some use nasal and others full face. I have a nasal for my own personal reasons. I never liked the idea of having my whole face covered. There are different styles to choose from. With all masks, you will have to deal with pressure points. After sleeping 8 hours with it, your face will be sore sometimes and occassionally numb depending on how you sleep with it. I was always a stomach sleeper which is very hard to do now.
The only pain about the c-pap is the need to clean it every day. You have to be careful because bacteria can build up inside the hose/mask/reservoir which can cause sinus infections and stuff like that. Its best that you use a heated c-pap unit with a reservoir because you will definitely need water for humidity and it works better with a heater. If you use the c-pap without water you will wake up with very dry airways and sore throats. Ramp is another good feature that you can ask about. Depending on what your pressure is set at, the ramp feature allows you to cut the setting in half for 45 minutes to give you enough time to fall asleep before it kicks up to full speed. Ramp was a life saver for me when I first got my c-pap. It helped me get used to the whole thing.
Anyways, hope this gives you the info you need. Let me know if you have any other questions about apnea/c-pap that I can help with. Take care.
anxiouslady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi anxiouslady, thank you so much for the great information! You have definitely given me a lot of good information that I can take with me when I go for my next study. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know all this, b/c I was at a loss as to what to expect, ask for, or anticipate after using the cpap. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
~Mim

Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Mim,
Glad I could help. Hope everything goes well with the study and let me know how you make out. Take care.
anxiouslady

Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Anxiouslady, I got called in early for the test and had it done last night. Apparently I was having apnea and (?)hypoapnea episodes; 69 in a 4 1/2 hour period. I did really well on the CPAP machine, and only woke 3 times and slept a total of 7 hours.....Wow! It will be hard to get used to, but I can see it will make a huge difference. Thanks for the good info!
~ Mim

Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Mim,
Glad to hear you got called in early for the study. The waiting lists can take forever. I'm really glad to hear that you were able to sleep 7 hours with the mask on. Thats amazing for the first time! I only slept 2. Did they give you a nasal or full face mask? The strap marks in the morning leave a lot to be desired lol.
Anyways I'm so happy everything went well. You'll be very surprised with the difference it makes in how you sleep and feel throughout the day. Good luck with everything and i'm very glad to have been of some help!

anxiouslady

Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks! They used the nasal mask. I can only imagine how sexy this will look in the middle of the night! LOL Oh well, if it helps I can look like a space alien!
~Mim

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

I like the nasal mask best. Just be careful of air leaks around the eyes and be prepared for a little bit of facial/sinus/teeth soreness at first because of the pressure points from where it rests on your face.

One more word of warning. Get used to being called darth vader (try saying "luke I am your father" while wearing the mask with air coming through your nose at 90mph for fun!). Or if you're like me, I get teased for looking like i'm about to go snorkeling LOL.

anxiouslady

Old 02-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HEE HEE , GIGGLE GIGGLE, well I am now going to known as Elephant Woman. I must be feeling confident in myself these days, I modeled it for the first time to my ex boyfriend and laughed myself silly at his reaction. Life will always be interesting no matter what....lol!
~ Mim

Last edited by mim; 02-04-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
(male)

Cable HB User

TO: Anxious Lady,
Ref your note that, "Its important to find out whether you have central, obstructive or mixed apnea." I am not sure why?? Is it that obstructive apnea is the only type (other than mixed) that one would treat with CEPAC?? Thanks, your overview was very good. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get results from a humidified CEPAC and I still sleep 3.5 hours, then wake up again. ALso, my doctor never mentioned what type of APNEA I have and didn't suggest any other approach but the CEPAC. I will be discussing that with him. Thanks, C.

Closed Thread