It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
(female)

notary HB User
sleep /help

Hi,,I am 39 years old and recently have been having a very hard time sleeping. I had a hysterectomy done 2 months ago and the doc said that Ive got depression, now i cant sleep, ive been staying up 48 to 50 hours before my body finally decides to give up., the counselor days that I also have anxiety attacks, im at my witts end, I want to sleep but I cant, ive tried benadryl but it doesnt help. I know i have a sleep disorder and I cant put my family thru this anymore,. Im up all nite crying cuz I cant sleep. any help ir suggestions.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
(female)

Sibyle~ HB User
Re: sleep /help

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. It is so frustrating to be exhausted yet unable to sleep.
And of course your depressed, you can't sleep!!!!
You need to ask you doctor for some Ambien or Lunesta. Give that a try and also have your hormone blood levels checked. If you are low on estrogen you will have trouble sleeping.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

mich711 HB User

Hi

Might you be on medication for hysteractomy? IF so, it may be causing insomnia.l I would stay away from prescrip or over-the-counter sleep meds, as they can get people into a vicious cycle, where the meds eventually wear off, and actually cause insomnia (rebound insomnia -where the insomnia is worse than before you started meds). Many meds CAUSE insomnia, especially the sleep meds (believe it or not). I am on Klonopin for sleep, and am in the vicious cycle. This med (along with another benzo (which by the way are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE) actually caused several other sleep disorders for me -I am screwed. Can;t get of of them (tried, but after 10 days of virtually NO sleep), I had to get back on. But, when I am on it, my sleep is very light (which it is known to do)...no deep sleep is no restrorative sleeep. BUt, better than no sleep at all. MY sleep prolblems are severe....I have been struggling for 5 years. Been to the ER before. IF I can give you any advice, it woudld be to stay away from all of these over-the-counter and prescription meds, and try two herbal sleep remedies: Valerian Root (get at health food store), or Scullcap (Which sounds scary, but it's simply an alternativ eto Valerian. They are widely used in Europe as a sleep aid. IF you think anxiety is a contributing factor, then breathing exercises and yoga can really help and other such things. For me, what started out as conditioned behavior (waking to my newborn), and then heavy stress in my life (Which icompletely gone), s now my insomnia and sleep disorders have been CAUSED by my reliance and overuse of these sleeping pills (unisom, tylenol pm, nytol, ambien, etc...). ANd, worst of all was turning to psychiatrist for help. All they saw was my anxiety and depression (and any other strange behaviors) , but in reality the behaviors were simply a RESULT of SEVERE sleep deprivation and medication-induced behaviors. Getting on the meds they prescibed for me only made me 100 times worse. IF someone out there can learn anything from my horrible experiences, then please stay away from these meds which will far more harm in the long term than any temporary benefit. Remember, the doctors minimize the side effects, and they are all to eager to give a prescription for anything. There is almost always a cost to putting drugs in your body. Valerian and Scullcap is little or no side effects. Does really work. But, like anything, don't use anything regularly. OUr bodies can build up a tolerance and things then are no longer as effective. PLease give us updates regarding your insomnia.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich711
Hi

Might you be on medication for hysteractomy? IF so, it may be causing insomnia.l I would stay away from prescrip or over-the-counter sleep meds, as they can get people into a vicious cycle, where the meds eventually wear off, and actually cause insomnia (rebound insomnia -where the insomnia is worse than before you started meds). Many meds CAUSE insomnia, especially the sleep meds (believe it or not). I am on Klonopin for sleep, and am in the vicious cycle. This med (along with another benzo (which by the way are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE) actually caused several other sleep disorders for me -I am screwed. Can;t get of of them (tried, but after 10 days of virtually NO sleep), I had to get back on. But, when I am on it, my sleep is very light (which it is known to do)...no deep sleep is no restrorative sleeep. BUt, better than no sleep at all. MY sleep prolblems are severe....I have been struggling for 5 years. Been to the ER before. IF I can give you any advice, it woudld be to stay away from all of these over-the-counter and prescription meds, and try two herbal sleep remedies: Valerian Root (get at health food store), or Scullcap (Which sounds scary, but it's simply an alternativ eto Valerian. They are widely used in Europe as a sleep aid. IF you think anxiety is a contributing factor, then breathing exercises and yoga can really help and other such things. For me, what started out as conditioned behavior (waking to my newborn), and then heavy stress in my life (Which icompletely gone), s now my insomnia and sleep disorders have been CAUSED by my reliance and overuse of these sleeping pills (unisom, tylenol pm, nytol, ambien, etc...). ANd, worst of all was turning to psychiatrist for help. All they saw was my anxiety and depression (and any other strange behaviors) , but in reality the behaviors were simply a RESULT of SEVERE sleep deprivation and medication-induced behaviors. Getting on the meds they prescibed for me only made me 100 times worse. IF someone out there can learn anything from my horrible experiences, then please stay away from these meds which will far more harm in the long term than any temporary benefit. Remember, the doctors minimize the side effects, and they are all to eager to give a prescription for anything. There is almost always a cost to putting drugs in your body. Valerian and Scullcap is little or no side effects. Does really work. But, like anything, don't use anything regularly. OUr bodies can build up a tolerance and things then are no longer as effective. PLease give us updates regarding your insomnia.
I feel for you. I went through something simular(10 days no sleep, I know it!) and ended up in benzo protracted withdrawal....yes, I tapered off Ativan (I know, not the best way) but I did it. Even some years later, I still have sleep issues but yes, I can sleep again....it seems like a miracle because I couldn't even get sleep on the Ativan at the worst point for several nights at a time! Yes, I had severe tolerance.

I almost went nuts during the acute withdrawal. Thank god I didn't need to work, my kids were grown, etc. or I don't think I would have made it through, it was so tough I think I spent the first few months sitting on the couch just trying to relax and deal with lack of sleep with mild exercises and lots of T.V to keep my mind off it. Open up the gates of hell and that's kinda what benzo withdrawal is if you've become severly dependant and tolerant.

So my sleep still seems to be improving now and then even though it's still not back to normal pre-benzo. The whole mess started from a withdrawal reaction to codiene given to me for bronchitis, but nobody recognized it and thus began the adventure of sleep meds and yes, psychiatrists will mess your sleep up even more! All their drugs screw with sleep one way or another.

I feel lucky to have escaped. I do feel so bad for you, I know how it feels to be stuck in that cycle of sleep problems.... but I was forced to do something when the severe tolerance happened and I had no choice but to quit as it seemed at that point the Ativan rarely even worked anymore. I could take a full 2 mgs. and still be completely wide awake all night!

Have you read the free online Ashton Manual? I know not everyone can get off benzos, but give it a read and see if it might help you. I wish I had it when I got off Ativan, the Valium switch may have helped me avoid protracted problems.

You are right, the meds have made you worse because it happened to me. Even though I've recovered enough to sleep decently, I still do not forgive what they put me through for several years and would give the same advice you do about avoiding those medications.

The brain can eventually re-learn how to sleep on it's own but it can take a long time and is very hard to deal with especially if you have an active life with work and kids.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
(male)

zigwyth HB User

WOW! I was searching through the sleep disorder boards after getting off the depression and Bipolar Disorder boards. I could have wrote these threads. I have been on Ambien and Xanax for over a year. My Insomnia is Chronic now. I had become suicidal over the Holidays from lack of sleep/depression and some Gastro medical issues. My Doc recommended Paxil in which I suffered extreme insomnia and almost Killed myself. I went to a Therapist who recommended a Psychiatrist who just prescribed Lithium and Seroquel. I have not filled the prescriptions yet because of fear mostly. I keep wondering if I'm really Bipolar or just need to get back somehow to a natural sleep cycle. I've been reading about natural sleep-aids, CBT, Yoga, meditation tapes, but I keep reaching for the Ambien which is useless now and running out anyway. Somebody give me some Positive Feedback, PLEASE on how to beat this. ZIG

Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigwyth
WOW! I was searching through the sleep disorder boards after getting off the depression and Bipolar Disorder boards. I could have wrote these threads. I have been on Ambien and Xanax for over a year. My Insomnia is Chronic now. I had become suicidal over the Holidays from lack of sleep/depression and some Gastro medical issues. My Doc recommended Paxil in which I suffered extreme insomnia and almost Killed myself. I went to a Therapist who recommended a Psychiatrist who just prescribed Lithium and Seroquel. I have not filled the prescriptions yet because of fear mostly. I keep wondering if I'm really Bipolar or just need to get back somehow to a natural sleep cycle. I've been reading about natural sleep-aids, CBT, Yoga, meditation tapes, but I keep reaching for the Ambien which is useless now and running out anyway. Somebody give me some Positive Feedback, PLEASE on how to beat this. ZIG
I wish I had an easy answer. I think yes, it can be beaten but it is so very hard that the only way is in extremely favorable conditions...of which most people don't have. As I mentioned, I had no job to worry about, grown kids, etc.(and it was still hell) but those things made it more tolerable.

Mainly I tapered on my own off Ativan enough to avoid the severe stuff like seizures but I had no idea at the time that I should have tapered much slower. I must admit, the first couple of weeks completely off Ativan were unreal torture, besides the insomnia the muscle twitching, shaking, freezing/hot flashes, ear ringing, explosive head pressure, anxiety, no appetite whatsoever(I had to force myself to eat something as small as a poptart!). I think I came pretty close to knowing what heroin withdrawal is like although I've never even tried an illegal drug in my life. Only heroin withdrawal doesn't last as long as benzo withdrawal I've been told!

Now, don't let this scare you because I used to belong to a group on the net and the stories sometimes were not as bad as mine. It really depends on the depth of dependancy, the drug, tolerance levels, etc. Some did not have as hard of a time as I did.

Even as bad as it was, I can safely say it was all worth it because I do sleep now without anything and feel much, much better!! I did get my own sleep chemicals back, although with some lingering sensitivities which seem to be slowly improving. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to sleep without any chemicals again; the suffering was worth it. Frankly, I hate to think where I'd be right now if I had continued the med route.

I can't know if you are bi-polar for real or not. I don't know if you can beat the problems you have or not. But I think it's worth a try IMHO.

The condtions have to be ideal in order to succeed. No drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, good nutrition with whole food supplements like omega 3 oils, mild exercise when you can several times a week intil you can do more, no outside stresses, plenty of rest(even when you can't sleep, just lay and rest).

But also, if you had any prior mental problems/sleep problems/etc. the cause of those has to be explored and addressed too. If it seems you weren't bi-polar before meds, it's possible meds induced or caused it, if so, eventually you should be ok. But if it was going on long before meds, then maybe consider it is something that needs treatment. Prior things like drug/alcohol abuse could cause bi-polar or even emotional traumas so think back if those were any factors.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

After a good nights' sleep last night without a pill, tea or even a relaxation tape, I know it would have been an impossibile event for me had I not fought against all the "theories" doctors threw at me that involved alot of pill prescriptions or this sleeping pill or that antidepressant. Geez, most antidepressants actually are stimulating and can cause sleep disturbances! And sleeping pills loose their effectiveness and have withdrawals to boot.

I hope everyone here can have what I have someday again, natural sleep is priceless.

It's tough to get off sleeping pills, but please don't give up guys!

Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
(male)

amright HB User

Hi,
Just don't push yourself to get sleep every nite. You need to look at it in a less serious way. Many people pay too much attention to it every nite that's why they are worry and cannot sleep. Just let your sleep comes naturely. Just think that if you don't sleep tonite, you'll get it tomorrow. Go to bed only when you are tired and think that you only need a few hours of sleep. Actually it's true that our bodies don't need too many hours of sleep; we just need to sleep if we are tired. Some people always think that they have to put 7 or 8 hrs of sleep but not necessary in my point of view. I can still fell alrite when I get 3 hrs of deep sleep.
In addition to that, adding exercies would definitely help you a lot in getting deep sleeps. Eating healthy (light Dinner) is another plus.
Do not use too much of computer at night.
Eat fruits and drink juices at night time; it promotes sleepiness.
When you go to bed, if the thoughts still arise, get up and write it down on a piece of paper and think that to resolve it tomorrow. Also think that you'll think about it tomorrow if it appears in your mind.
Btw, these are just my opions and it has helped me to overcome this obstacle. Sleep disorder is a psychological disorder..
Good lucks and have good nite sleeps!
Amright

Closed Thread