It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #1

theworrier HB User
Cant wake up and its scary :-(

Hi guys..wonder if anyone knew what this is why it happens and have you experienced it?

There is a connection and that is when im not well and have a temperature. Im asleep and I dream that im trying to wake up and cant..then im trying to shout so my husband can hear but everything is in slow motion....it so scary I lay awake after afraid to go back to sleep

Last night I was falling of the bed in slow motion and shouting in slow motion too..it seems so real and yet if I was shouting my husband would hear me

One night I dream I was floating round the bedroom and trying to shout and again it was in slow motion...weird???

Any ideas???

Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
(male)

daminmancejin HB User
Re: Cant wake up and its scary :-(

hey your not the only one that can't wake up like that that **** is scary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Add me to the list...and its like Im aware of my surroundings and everything but my eyes wont open and by the time I FINALLY can move and ' wake up' my heart is beating a million miles an hr and scared to go back to sleep....really scarey !

Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #4

theworrier HB User

Thanks for the replies guys..good to know im not alone in this. Oh and choctaw_n_ok...totally know what you mean about your heart racing fast!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

a237916 HB User

This happened to me about 2 years ago and thinking about it even now still scares the bejeezus out of me. I went through a cycle of this for what felt like about 30 minutes, dreaming that I couldn't wake up, then even thinking I'd woke, but then finding I was still asleep. I described it to a few people and they didn't see what the big deal was, but it was terrifying.

When it happened, I was going through a period of significant sleep loss and was sleeping deeper than usual at the time, so when I did finally wake up, even though I was absolutely terrified of falling back asleep, I couldn't stay awake and fell right back into the cycle. I remember that it involved a few TylenolPM as well...I don't take them much since then.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

mariaarias HB User
Smile Re: Cant wake up and its scary :-(

It has happened to me various times, especially when I was a child. I admit it... it was very scarry, but you can overcome the feeling. I spoke with a lady that I did not know about the problem and that she had also experienced it. What she told me was very helpful to me and it can probably be to you. If it happens again, do not try to control it. Try to go with the flow.

Before, when it happened, I will try to wake up and thought that I was screaming, but noone heard me. Now, I know it is happening and I try to follow or take control in another way. The last time, I started floating and went on top of my house, then I went through the walls and walked around. I was always thinking that it is normal and that I will go back to my body to then wake up. I have done it this way and I am no longer scared. You can even travel everywhere inimaginable, but be calm and have a positive mind. Nothing will happen to you.

Try it... do not try to pull your soul back to your body, let it float and think happy thoughts!!!!

Last edited by mariaarias; 03-16-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 03-17-2006, 04:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

The name for this is cataplexy, also called "sleep paralysis". Narcoleptics, in particular, experience this frequently, but it can affect anyone. I'd suggest that you just try to acknowledge to yourself what is happening when you go into this state, and tell yourself to relax, knowing that if you can just fall "truly" back asleep again, the next time you wake up, you'll be able to move.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
(female)

Synergie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaarias
It has happened to me various times, especially when I was a child. I admit it... it was very scarry, but you can overcome the feeling. I spoke with a lady that I did not know about the problem and that she had also experienced it. What she told me was very helpful to me and it can probably be to you. If it happens again, do not try to control it. Try to go with the flow.

Before, when it happened, I will try to wake up and thought that I was screaming, but noone heard me. Now, I know it is happening and I try to follow or take control in another way. The last time, I started floating and went on top of my house, then I went through the walls and walked around. I was always thinking that it is normal and that I will go back to my body to then wake up. I have done it this way and I am no longer scared. You can even travel everywhere inimaginable, but be calm and have a positive mind. Nothing will happen to you.

Try it... do not try to pull your soul back to your body, let it float and think happy thoughts!!!!

You seem to be talking about Astral Projection.... I have experienced it many times spontaneously, right from childhood! You can even induce it yourself with practice. Scientists still dont understand if it's even real, but for those of us who have experienced it... it truly is! Sleep Paralysis seems to be closely connected to it!

Other symptoms that accompany the 'separation' (for lack of a better word, because I still dont understand what astral projection is... whether a function of the brain or something else...) are: Feeling of falling, sleep paralysis, vibrations within the body, rapid eye movements while still conscious, and a loud static like sound in the ears. Also, the experience while 'out' seems to be slow motion, like looking through water.

I am not saying I believe that astral projection is a supernatural event.... then again, I'm not saying it isn't either. I just don't know. All I do know is that I have experienced it and its not like ANY dream!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Hey guys, I just read about this the other day, because I have similar experiences before I go to sleep. These experiences are hallucinations, and they fall into two different catagories: hypnagogic and hypnopompic. Hypnagogia refers to the time right before you go to sleep as hypnopompia describes the time right before you wake up.

Before I go to sleep I sometimes hear loud crashes and foghorns, feel like I'm floating off my bed, feel like I'm falling out of bed, see things coming at me, hear talking, and feel my bed vibrating.

These hallucinations are associated with sleep paralysis. A good place to start researching this is sleep paralysis or nacolepsy.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #10

theworrier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaarias

Thanks hun I will try that next time it happens...what a nice way to look at it

Closed Thread