It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

blueskies20 HB User
How do you turn off your racing mind at night so you can sleep?

Lately it has taken me 1-1.5 hours to fall asleep at night, no matter how tired I am. I find that it's because my mind is racing about stuff that has happened during the day, things I might be anxious about, and stuff that is just bugging me. I have been going to bed later and later (sometimes as late as 4 a.m.) and then after tossing and turning for eternity, I finally fall asleep, only to sleep until early afternoon. My schedule is flexible right now to allow me to do this, but starting in May I'll be working more than an hour away from 8 - 5 p.m. I am worried I won't be able to fall asleep at all then! Help! What can I do to sleep better and not have my mind race? Thanks for your input.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

Cloverberry52 HB User
Re: How do you turn off your racing mind at night so you can sleep?

the thing that helps me is a radio with a pillow speaker. I have a radio with TV sound and listen to TV shows or the news. In the middle of the night if I wake up I start listening to a talk show. Nothing crazy that would upset me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Have you ever tried 5 HPT? That taken an hour before bedtime will help you to sleep. It's a natural supplement that helps promote sleep. You cannot take this however if you are taking a SSRI antidepressant because of the risk of seratonin overload. The 5 HPT helps your brain to promote seratonin, which helps you to be calm and sleep.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

blueskies20 HB User

Hi there, no I haven't tried 5 HPT. I know you said it was a natural supplement but I am worried it might have side effects? Does it, and do you become addicted to it? How is it different than an over the counter sleep aid? I apologize for my ignorance!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blueskies,

It has no side affects that I am aware of, other than sleepiness. No worries of addiction either. It is totally different than sleeping pills or over the counter sleep aids. The other the counter types are nothing more than antihistimes like Benadryl. It naturally makes your brain produce more seratonin, which is the brain chemical that aids sleep and relaxation.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

whodidwhat HB User

I've been there! Since my divorce (3 yrs ago) I cannot relax to sleep at night. Everything runs through my head, work, kids, things I have to do, things I need to remember.... It never stops!!!! I've been on Ambien which works great but you can only use it for a short time. I've also been prescribed Sonata- don't waste your time on this one. I've tried to do relaxation exercises, I've drank chamomile tea.... nothing works! I know it's the stress causing mine. I can't control the ex and he's the root for all evil. I don't even want to get out of bed in the morning. I do take antidepressents but they sure don't help me to sleep. If you find someting that works for you, please share!

Old 04-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whodidwhat,

Has your doctor ever given you Trazadone? It's an older antidepressant that alot of doctors prescribe to go along with their other AD's. You take it at night time and it helps you to sleep.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Magnesium has helped quiet my racing mind. I take 1000mg (500mg 2X day). Magnesium can cause loose bowels but that just means you've reached your tolerance level, and you need to take less until body adjusts.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
(female)

Brenwar HB User

I too, use my radio. I use one of those ear plug-type speakers so it doesn't bother my husband, and set my radio to automatically turn off in an hour. Then I listen to talk shows and that takes my mind off my own thoughts. This saves me from having to go to the family room and lay on the couch, and listen to the TV. When I travel, my radio goes with me, and I can usually find something to listen to in the night. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
(female)

Ladybracknell HB User

Can a person who has had a heart attack and is taking beta blockers and Atenolol take 5HPT safely or can you recommend something else. My Sister had the heart attack 5 weeks ago after finding her partner passed away at home. She is struggling to sleep because of her grief and being unable to settle at night. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: How do you turn off your racing mind at night so you can sleep?

what has worked for me is taking a TINY dose, one that is so small it's probably never prescribed, of Tofranil. It's an antidepressant. My mind would not shut down either-I wound up taking tylenol PM and OTC sleeping pills for many* years each night-but they got to the point where they would not stop my racing thoughts. This agonizing over what has to be done, what happened recently or long ago--this is a lack of the "feel good" chemical serotonin and a sign of minor to moderate depression. So with just a tiny 10mg dose of Tofranil at bedtime and another 10mg upon waking up - I dont understand it-but I have a peaceful , "who cares" attitude at bedtime and i just fall asleep and SLEEP WELL with great dreams!! I also have started back on my magneisum 350 mg ++ with calcium and maybe that helps, too; but the Tofranil is what has made So much difference. I used to dread going to bed, knowing an hour would go by and I'd be so angry with my continuing thoughts. Now I just fall asleep

Old 06-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
(female)

irena HB User

Hi, could you tell me if this 5 hpt is a hormone, and would it have any effect on Thyroid medication, which i take at night. I read that medication can also cause insomnia. Has anyone experianced this. I just started taking Melatonin to break away from over the counter sleep aids.
Thanks for any info'

Irena.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Irena, 5 HTP is not a hormone, it is a dirivative from the Amino Acid Tryptophan - which helps induce sleep. I am not sure if it would interfere with Thyroid meds, but I do know that if you are presently taking a SSRI type antidepressant, you should not use it. You run the risk of developing seratonin overload. Maybe you can search on the internet for 5 HTP and try to find any interactions it might have on any other meds.

Closed Thread