It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #1

psabrina28 HB User
HELP my mother falls asleep all the time.

My mom is 53 years old and she falls asleep while talking, she would be talking one minute and then she falls asleep for a few seconds. She can never stay awake as a passenger in the car. Sometimes when I am talking to her on the phone I will ask her something and not hear anything, the next second she will be like 'Oh, I just sat down and fell asleep for a second, what were you saying?' her speech gets extremely slurred as though she is drunk but it's just sleep! I know she gets enough sleep, she is a stay at home wife and doesn't work, she has never had a job. My dad is businessman and so they don't need extra money so it's not like she is tired or anything.

Last year my husband and i took our daughter for trick or treating at the mall, my mom went with us and the whole time she would talk and fall asleep for a minute and then start the conversation where she had stopped. My husband thought it was really weird. Can someone please tell me what this is? I just see how a normal person just falls asleep. It's like the second she doesn't have anything to do she gets very sleepy.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
(male)

Sifufor HB User
Re: HELP my mother falls asleep all the time.

I am no expert on sleep disorders, but I think your mom may have narcolepsy. Check this site out:

http://www.narcolepsynetwork.org/faq.php

Her doctor should be told about this. It can be quite hazardous to her health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Sounds a lot like narcolepsy. She definately needs to talk to a doctor as soon as possible.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #4

psabrina28 HB User

Thanks...at least now I know what this is called, I have something to research, thank you!

Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

Hi Sabrina....I'm narcoleptic and can definitely relate to the frustration and confusion you all are going through. There are many other symptoms that can go with it. It's hard to find a good site on narcolepsy, though. I'll check with the monitors and see if I can post a certain web-site that deals strictly with sleeping disorders...I've belonged to it for a long time and it's been a huge help to me. It's nice to know you're not alone.

I'm a little on the tired side right now, so I won't get into great detail, but if you have questions, feel free to ask any and all of them and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Good luck....p.s. Stanford University is a pioneer in much sleep research, check them out! I have already signed a document to donate my brain to them when I'm done with it to see if it will help other narcoleptics! Mine quite likely came from a brain injury, therefore, there's no genetic marker for mine.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
(female)

deerfieldbchmom HB User

Hi I don't even know where to start but here is the situation I am in and I am scared and confused.
My husband has back surgery about 7 months ago and it did not work so he is in alot of pain so he says why I say that is because he has abused the pain meds and been untruthful with me when he is taking the pain meds. For the past 5 months maybe longer I have noticed that he does not sleep at night but maybe an hour here and there he is now starting to fall asleep at the dinner table, standing up, in the bathroom leaning against the mirror, driving and just talking to you. He has also been working on the roof and fell asleep, he is doing strange things like trying to put his pajama bottoms on over his head in the middle of the night, rearranging the furniture in the middle of the night, taking all the fruit cocktail out of the fridge and lining them up on the counter, today my daughter and I dropped him off to the house and went to walmart we came home and things were out of place, my daughters things we in the kitchen, he closed out hurricane shutters, he took the plastic bags from the kitchen and put them in the living room and he tells me he does not remember any of this that he did not do this. He falls asleep smoking (we only smoke outside) THANK GOD but it still scares me because i find cigarette have burned on the table, he has burned I can't even tell you how many pajama bottoms and robes. I am so scared he will burn the house down with us in it. Since he is on so many meds, ie paxil for panick attacks, lyrica for nerve pain, and he just got out of the hospital 5 days ago for some type of skin infection that they could not identify. My nerves are so shot right now I just don't know what to do. I keep blaming him and telling him that he must be taking pain meds because he looks like hell and looks out of it. I have been reading on narcalespy and am wondering if these are signs of this. His drs. just keep shoveling different meds BUT NOT PAIN MEDS ANYMORE I need someone to reply and help me - we are so close to divorce it is not funny I love him but cannot live like this anymore we have 13 year old daughter and all the arguing we do or should I say I do is not good for her. If anyone can give me any info I would be greatly appreicative. I am so desperate right now I feel so alone. All the doctors think that he is addicted to pain meds - I just don't know what to beleive anymore the trust is gone so I can't beleive anything he tells me anymore. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deerfieldbchmom

Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My husband is a chronic pain patient (RSD) and is also on Lyrica. He falls asleep during the day too, but sleeps a lot at night. You may want to contact the pharmacist (are you getting all of the meds at the same pharmacy?) to see if there are interactions from the meds. You may also want to check out the pain management board on this same Healthboards site. There are a lot of people knowledgeable about back pain and medications there. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

deerfieldbchmom HB User

Thanks for the response Sunnycal. He is getting all his meds at the same pharmacy. This is so frustrating and scary I just want my husband back to the way he was. He is 54 and I am 40 and I never thought my life would be like this in my 40's. I will check out the other board like you suggested and see if I can get any more info there. Thanks again for your response.
Deerfieldbchmom

Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
(female)

idared04 HB User

Wow! Sorry about what is happening. It sounds like your husband is sleepwalking? Given the facts that he does not remember half of the things he does(i.e moving objects out of place) and yes the meds he is probably taking do have an effect on these acts. His body may have become immune to the meds, but i dont know i am not a professional. You may if you have not already talk to his doctor about what he is doing around the house, or even a Psychologist at that matter.? I hope all goes well..............

Closed Thread