It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
Throwing up in mouth during night

My dh was going through this for a while a while back but it seemed to stop. he will suddenly wake up in the night choking on his vomit and has a mouthful of it as well. we tried to pinpoint it on something but nothing really made sense. so he tried just laying off on heavy meals before bed. he doesnt vomit after these spells happen but feels like it. last night though he did have a big meal before bed and that may have done it, we dont know. he can control his vomiting and gets up takes breaths and washes his mouth out and goes back to bed but last night he said he almost threw up on the bed. when this happened before it would be a couple times a night a few nights a week. has anyone else had this?

Old 04-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: Throwing up in mouth during night

Does he have reflux? Is there an acid taste to the "vomit". A heavy meal, and sleeping flat would increase the chances of reflux at night. This is where the stomach contents come back up the esauphagus because of a faulty valve. If it is reflux, something like Prilosec would help. You would want to have it checked out by a doctor. You also might want to elevate the head of the bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

lulu123 HB User

I have had this happen on 3 occasions while I was completely asleep. During two of these episodes I also inhaled some of the regurgitation! My doctor did some xrays tests and confirmed I have G.E.R.D. (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).

It is severe heartburn. I have been on previcid and a motility drug for the last 4 years. I can't eat several hours before bedtime. Raising your bed at the headboard helps as well. If you are even slightly overweight the symptoms become worse.

You should make sure he/she sees a doctor for a final diagnosis. I am only telling you what I personally have experienced.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

ty for ur responses!! well he has never said its like heartburn because he has had that before and he never mentioned any similarities but i will confirm with him. he cant sleep with his head elevated too high, he is up all night if he does. but we will def look up what u guys mentioned. its really scary though!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
(male)

socalsean38 HB User

Yes, I have these symptoms exactly. I started out waking up periodically choking on vomit. It has actually become painful. I am starting to have s pain/ tickle in my throat, a canker sore in my mouth pain in my ear and neck etc. It started kind of harmlessly and now I have been to see many doctors. I think that it is acid reflux to begin with and then if it keeps happening, it may cause problems with your esophagus. I have a swallow study and an esophagram. I will keep you posted. Please let me know if you find out anything else.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I was thinking LPR or GERD as well. I have LPR my husband and son have GERD. We all have various forms of sleep apnea to boot.

MG

Closed Thread