It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
(male)

PA1NK1LLER HB User
Re: What is the strongest benzodiazepine

My doctor told me that Rozerem is a sleeping pill that is designed to work quite differently than traditional sleep medications. It works by effecting the melatonin levels in your brain. Melatonin is released by the pineal gland in the brain at night time to help us sleep. Rozerem has to be taken for several days before it achieves its desired effect. I have spoken with some people and I get more negative feedback than positive. Most people say its crap and did not help them at all but medication acts differently to different people. I say its worth a shot cause you got nothing to lose by trying it. Also, you can buy Melatonin at your local grocery store,GNC, or pharmacy over the counter. It comes in strengths of 1-3mgs. I am not a big fan of the herbal remedies but I have tried Valerian Root and liked it a lot. It smell really bad but it helps. Other drugs that may help for sleep but require a doctors prescription are, Doxepin, Trazadone, Neurontin, Serequel, *****n, lunesta (my friend takes this and really raves about it)...stay away from Halcion cuz it has been linked to sleep walking and other bad side effects. Good Luck To you

Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
(male)

PHARMAGURU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane24 View Post
Actually the most strongest Benzo is a drug called Versed (Midazolam). But they only use it at the hospital for conscious sedation along with Fentanyl. Although they actually do make a Versed Syrup base solution for people that have really bad seizures. The pharmacist told me that the most powerful benzo presribed is Triazolam. I have trouble sleeping as well. I take 40mg's of Valium at once, and it does nothing at all, it has no effect on me. But Triazolam is supposed to be great for insomnia, it's all about the dosing.
Actually the strongest benzodiazepam is actually Flunitrazepam Rohypnol.Flunitrazepam's effects are approximately 7 to 10 times more potent than diazepam..
There is information pertaining to this Benzodiazepine on WIKI

Last edited by PHARMAGURU; 07-28-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: errort

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
(male)

PHARMAGURU HB User
Lightbulb Re: What is the strongest benzodiazepine

I believe from all available data that Rohypnol which is Flunitrazepam to be the most potent benzodiazepine.I am aware of the dosaging and drug equivalencies .According to credible sources and prominent Doctors Flunitrazepam's effects are approximately 7 to 10 times more potent than diazepam. The effects of flunitrazepam appear approximately 15 to 20 minutes after oral administration, and last for approximately four to six hours. Some residual effects can persist up to 12 hours or more after administration.The drug is sometimes used as a date rape drug (commonly referred to in street slang as a "roofie").[2]

Flunitrazepam is classed as a nitrobenzodiazepine. Other nitrobenzodiazepines include nitrazepam and clonazepam.[3]

It is so powerful and illicit that it's illegal in the USA...OBVIOUSLY NO FDA APPROVAL

Last edited by PHARMAGURU; 07-28-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: error

Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #19
(male)

PHARMAGURU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondala View Post
I have done research on this out of curiosity, and the one that is the strongest is Klonopin. Klonopin is normally given to people with bipolar disorder and people with epilepsy. I think there is some controversy about Klonopin and Xanax. I have taken most all benzodiazepines, and Xanax makes me the sleepiest and it is addictive, because the affects of it are short acting. It makes people feel the need to want more, and I got into trouble with them. Withdrawl is horrific, and it takes a Doctor to really help you get off of them. I really caution people about this medication over a long period of time. Just talk to your doctor about it. As for Klonopin, I prefer it for my bipolar disorder because it lasts a long time in your system. Though it does not have the quick affect of Xanax, it helps me with anxiety more because it seems to stay in your system longer. It too is addictive. It just seemed when being weened off of Klonopin to a lower dose was easier than being weened off Xanax. I do believe people really need to always stay in contact with your doctor and make sure you are taking the right dosage. Withdrawl is very scary, but if you need a medication..make sure you are taking it correctly.

As for sleeping disorders, I really have no clue why they would prescribe a benzo. With all the sleeping medications out there, I really do not understand a benzo for a sleeping disorder.

To anyone reading this, just always keep in touch with your doctor. Take the right dosage, and if you feel you are chemically dependent...get a doctor's help. Never stop cold turkey.
Actually the strongest and most potent benzodiazepine is Flunitrazepam also known as Rohypnol..
7 to 10 times more potent than (diazepam/Valium)..
I have been on Klonopin/Clonazepam for over 2 decades..

With all due respect

I dont know exactly where your research was done, concerning Clonazepam..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Many folks over on the Pain Management boards have reported difficult experiences in weaning off Klonopin. I have also heard about this problem on other forums. Obviously, everyone reacts differently to medications as well as stopping them. I am currently taking it for the second time, as my first experience with it resulted in some rage/depression. Since my insomnia has been so resistant to other treatments and I also have anxiety issues, I have been giving Klonopin a second try, along with an anti-depressant (Celexa) since I am taking so many medications that tend to have a depressant effect (Neurontin, Soma, Mirapex, Voltaren, Ambien CR, Phenergan).

It's great that Klonopin works for many people, but many others really need to be careful, especially if they have addictive tendencies or their bodies react poorly to the withdrawal of this medication. It is known to cause this problem and it should be treated with caution, just like any other medication.

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
(male)

bill77 HB User

I have been taking Klonopin (clonazapam) for four years. I peaked at 2 mgs. a night last winter ( 4 - .50 pills at night time, 2 before sleep and 2 during when i would inevitably wake up)....I decided I had to get off of them; I had lived 50+ years without any daily medication.
Thanks to reading about the Ashton method, as well as the advice i found from the fine people here, I have cut my dose down in half over the last 5 months. While that sounds like a long time, i am planning an even longer taper to " finish it off" over the next year.
If you try the method, i advise taking the low road - 5% every week or two. As the dose gets smaller, I have the side effects a bit more profound... so i am even trying smaller tapers. The key that many people don't realize is IT HAS TO BE EXTREMELY SLOW. Ashton and the Benzos.org people will keep telling you this over and over...I can honestly say I have had very few side effects; Last year i tried a faster taper and it failed because of the side effects.
By the way, i was told by a shrink that Lunesta doesn't work as well when you are taking a benzo... that they both work on the GABA of the brain . I have been finding the Lunesta more effective on my smaller dose, by the way.
Good luck to you...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #22
(male)

PHARMAGURU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMAGURU View Post
Actually the strongest and most potent benzodiazepine is Flunitrazepam also known as Rohypnol..
7 to 10 times more potent than (diazepam/Valium)..
I have been on Klonopin/Clonazepam for over 2 decades..

With all due respect

I dont know exactly where your research was done, concerning Clonazepam..
I believe from all available data that Rohypnol which is Flunitrazepam to be the most potent benzodiazepine.I am aware of the dosaging and drug equivalencies .According to credible sources and prominent Doctors Flunitrazepam's effects are approximately 7 to 10 times more potent than diazepam. The effects of flunitrazepam appear approximately 15 to 20 minutes after oral administration, and last for approximately four to six hours. Some residual effects can persist up to 12 hours or more after administration.The drug is sometimes used as a date rape drug (commonly referred to in street slang as a "roofie").[2]

Flunitrazepam is classed as a nitrobenzodiazepine. Other nitrobenzodiazepines include nitrazepam and clonazepam.[3]

It is so powerful and illicit that it's illegal in the USA...OBVIOUSLY NO FDA APPROVAL

Closed Thread