It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Question Anyone Happy With CPAP?

I was wondering if there are any CPAP users on this board who are happy with it. I read alot of complaints and problems with it, so I wondered if it actually works well for anyone.

I haven't yet had a sleep study although I need one. It would surprise me greatly if I don't have sleep apnea. I snore loud enough that I can be heard all over the house and I wake myself snoring/gasping.

However, if the treatment is more of a curse than a cure, I can't see the point in following up on this....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User
Re: Anyone Happy With CPAP?

There are other options available for the treatment of sleep apnea-surgery, dental devices, weight loss. According to my doc, C-PAP is the "gold standard". Don't let your concern regarding C-PAP stop you from getting a sleep study. Sleep Apnea can cause other issues such a high blood pressure. It is not something to be taken lightly.

Personally, I have been on C-PAP for almost a year. I have had my ups and downs with it. However, overall, I have been satisfied with it. That does not mean that I am content to be on C-PAP the rest of my life. I want to lose enough weight to hopefully be able to stop using C-PAP. Yet, for me, C-PAP has been an overall positive thing.

I know people who consider their C-PAPs the best thing that has ever happened to them. Some of these people are content with the idea of staying on C-PAP from now on.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Thanks for your quick reply!

I know that I, too, should lose some weight (about 30lbs). But even the dental devices and surgery seem to be controversial and not without side-effects. There just doesn't seem to be a clearcut answer to the problem. I am glad to hear, though, that there are those who are happy with CPAP.

I'm also concerned about the sleep study itself. There is not way in heck that I would be able to sleep under those conditions. I'd have to take a sleeping pill and then that would skew the results, wouldn't it?

Old 11-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

Since I also had problems with insomnia, I was given a low dose of Ambien to help me relax and fall asleep. Apparently, it does not skew the results. One person has told me that he had to be given a stronger sleeping med at his sleep study.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Oh, that's great to know! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Alright to answer your original question. YES! YES! YES!

Personally, I can sleep through the night with out waking up every hour choking/strangling since getting my CPAP. I feel human again now I have one. I am sick less often, and able to loss weight again (18 pounds in 11 weeks). The only downsides for me are that I wake up with "mask face" on occasion and I can not sleep on my belly. The mask face indentions go away fairly quickly, and I have learned to sleep comfortably on my side.. took no time at all.

Second opinion. My husband got his CPAP a month after me. He went from needing an excess of 14 hours of sleep in a day and still feeling fatigue and irritable to feeling great after a solid 6-8 hours on the CPAP.

Important point in using a CPAP, keep it clean. They will harber bacteria and increase your chances of having reoccuring respiratory infections otherwise.. so when you get in a shower take you mask, hose, and water tank with you and clean them with J&J baby wash.. rinse and set to dry.

Respectfully Yours,
MG

Old 11-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Great! Thanks for the info and advice. I really appreciate it.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
(male)

slystriker2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
I was wondering if there are any CPAP users on this board who are happy with it. I read alot of complaints and problems with it, so I wondered if it actually works well for anyone.

I haven't yet had a sleep study although I need one. It would surprise me greatly if I don't have sleep apnea. I snore loud enough that I can be heard all over the house and I wake myself snoring/gasping.

However, if the treatment is more of a curse than a cure, I can't see the point in following up on this....
hello I am happy with using my cpap machine you should get check out right away for sleep apnea it can cause high blood pressure and also congestive heart failure I almost died because I did not know I had sleep apnea so good Luck . sleep apnea is so hard on your heart...

Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
(female)

littleln11 HB User

I had a lot of problems with my CPAP. The main one being that when I tried to use it, it seemed harder to breathe. At first my sleep doctor kind of blew me off, but after 3 or four months of me not using it, she sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor. He checked me out and it turns out that in addition to the sleep apnea, I also had some very serious problems with my sinuses, basically when my sinuses recieved the positive pressure from the CPAP, their response was to become inflammed and give me a very stuffy nose. If you have a permanently stuffy nose, it is very hard to use the CPAP. So I wound up having the surgery, they cleared out my sinuses and they also took out my tonsils, removed my uvula, and trimmed my soft palate. I won't lie, it was very very painful.

But long story short the surgury worked. I went from absolutly needing 9 hours of sleep to be functional (and really preferring 10, and even then still being tired) to being fine on 7.

However, I was a good candidate for the procedure. I am petite and it was sort of a mystery as to why I even had sleep apnea (I'm a 28 year old, normal weight female). Best they could figure is that it was left over from when I was very fat (I lost about 80lbs) and didn't go away when I lost the weight. My sleep apnea was rated as severe and during my sleep study my blood oxygen went from 100 down to 82. I had many instances where I stopped breathing for nearly a minute. I don't know about you but I can barely hold my breathe for a minute. The scary part about all of this that I probably had sleep apnea for 10 years and didn't even know it. Now imagine what 10 years of being deprived of oxygen on a nightly basis for hours on end has done to my heart and to my life span. If you even think you have sleep apnea, do something about it yesterday.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Thanks, very much, everyone for the advice! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Closed Thread