It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bulletproof HB User
Waking up every 1-2 hours

I fall asleep quickly when I go to bed, but recently I wake up every hour or so. When I wake up, I am able to go to back to sleep quickly, but when I wake up in the morning I don't feel fully rested. I quit smoking last week and wondered if anyone has experienced this as a reaction to nicotine withdrawal, or if I should be thinking it's some other cause. Since I wasn't a heavy smoker, I'm hesitant to think this is what's going on, but nothing else in my day-to-day life has changed. Anyone have thoughts?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Waking up every 1-2 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof
I fall asleep quickly when I go to bed, but recently I wake up every hour or so. When I wake up, I am able to go to back to sleep quickly, but when I wake up in the morning I don't feel fully rested. I quit smoking last week and wondered if anyone has experienced this as a reaction to nicotine withdrawal, or if I should be thinking it's some other cause. Since I wasn't a heavy smoker, I'm hesitant to think this is what's going on, but nothing else in my day-to-day life has changed. Anyone have thoughts?

I was the same way.. it started when I got pregnant and continued ever after... until... i was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I was having between 65 - 100 events per hour. Once an hour the event would be drastic enough I would wake up. Confused about why I woke up I initially would try and go to the bathroom, sipped water, after the baby was born.. checked on the baby, the cat, the house in general... nothing.

It turns out I never really went into REM sleep and just existed in a semi-sleep state day in and day out for three years. When I was sleeping I would stop breathing for such a duration that when my body reset, I would wake up. Until my new GP caught on and sent me to the sleep doctor, I didn't think anything of it... I used to sleep walk (I would vacuum or do the dishes in my sleep), my family snores in one form or another and we are allergy and sinus central; I always assumed it was my allergies or that I was just strange and just lived with it.

Now I am diagnosed with sleep apnea and glad of it. With a CPAP I go to sleep and stay a sleep until my 4 year old canon balls me in the morning or the alarm goes off. I wake up better rested after 4 hours on my CPAP than 8 with out. Not that I am for 4 hours.. I try to get between 6-8 hours a night. Check into sleep apnea, it can be present and linger.. then suddenly manifest in a way that you find can not escape your notice any longer. At the least I would get evaluated by a sleep MD.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread