It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

GHMN HB User
Awakened by rapid heartbeat

Hi all:

I am hoping someone will be able to help.

I am frequently awakened between 4 and 7 am with a rapid heartbeat. I get out of bed, stretch etc. and my heartrate returns to normal. I can sometimes fall asleep with no more occurrence but it may happen 2,3,4 or more times. I am also now having this occur while napping during the day. It just does not happen unless I am sleeping. I have had a cardiac workup and no problems were identified and the doctors are stumped. Sleep apnea has been suggested but seen as longshot.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

ANNMARIE1983 HB User
Re: Awakened by rapid heartbeat

Hi I Have Problems Like This To. I Wake Up And My Heart Is Ponding So Fast It Feels Like It Is Going To Jump Out Of My Chest. Sometimes I Can Go Back To Sleep With No Problems And Then Sometimes I Cant. I Was Diagnosed With Anxiety And Panic Attacks. You Can Be Going To Bed Stressed, All Worked Up And Your Body Isnt Relaxing. That Can Cause Anxiety And Panic Attack. As My Doctor Told Me. I Am On Medicine Now For This And It Is Really Working. Do You Have This Problem Any Other Time Through Out The Day. Have You Talked To Your Doctor About Panic Attacks Or Anxiety. I Hope This Is Little Helpful For You. I Hope Your Doctor Finds The Problems. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
(male)

JERRY 104 HB User

Can you remember what you were dreaming about prior to awakening, I have had recuring dreams of either being chased on foot, or being shot at with a gun and waking up with a pounding heartbeat and trying to catch my breath. Try to keep a dream journal~it might be anxiety dreams causing rapid heartbeat............Jerry

Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
(male)

woodyman HB User

Yeah good idea with the journal...and I know how you feel with the dreams about being chased. Now I am a pretty fast runner in real life, and would bet pretty well about getting away from anyone, which is why I think in my dreams, it is like I am slowed by half, and they are faster...very scary for me not to be able to move properly.

I keep a little pad beside my bed to quickly write down what it was that happened, so I can show someone, to in a way get rid of it out of my head.

Hope the diary way helps you a bit.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
(female)

cjayfour HB User

Have you been checked for sleep hyponea? If you have sleep apnea or hyponea you aren't getting enough oxygen and your heart speeds up in response lack of oxygen. I used to get this all the time until I got my sleep apnea under control, although I would get it from 1-3am around the time of my first REM cycle. I don't fit the typical profile for sleep apnea either, I'm a young in shape female, but my tonsils were big and my soft palate long.

Last edited by cjayfour; 01-24-2007 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added info

Closed Thread