It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
Trazodone for sleep--quick questions!

OK, so I've been on Ambien, Lunesta, Amptryptiline, and Klonopin for sleep, and I went to my first psychiatrist appointment and was given Trazodone. I have a few questions:

1. I was told to take 25 mg for a couple nights and 50 mg if that doesn't work. What dosage are you on for sleep, if you take this drug? This seems like a low dose, from what I've read.

2. How long does it take to kick in? How long before I want to sleep should I take it?

3. It says on the instructions to take with food. Is that really necessary, for sleep? I don't usually eat before bed, but I guess I should, in this case?

4. What kind of success have you had with this med, for sleep?

5. What kind of side effects have you experienced?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! I'd really like to get answers to questions 2 and 3 before tonight, if anyone can help. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DKScully For This Useful Post:
ejt1024 (05-15-2012), mac1959 (06-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

Blueeyes HB User
Re: Trazodone for sleep--quick questions!

well for me i have a high tolerance i take 300mgs of Trazodone and 10mgs of ambien together. I cant just take trazodone alone not strong enough, but that all depends on you. it shouldn't take long to kick in. you see a psychiatrist too? i have bipolar and have so many problems with medications and side effects. do u too?

The following user gives a hug of support to Blueeyes:
ginger spice (10-14-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueeyes For This Useful Post:
ginger spice (10-20-2011), icantsleep (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
(female)

Yeah, I see a psychiatrist. I had seen one briefly when I was in school, because one was available at our Student Health center, but when I graduated, I just ended up going back to my doctor--until a few weeks ago, when I had a very bad reaction to Ambien and I decided I should see a psychiatrist to figure out these medications.

I am currently on Lexapro (for depression/anxiety), lorazepan (for anxiety, but only when I need it), and now the Trazodone for sleep. My dose really seems low, so I'm afraid it won't work, but maybe it will in combination with the other stuff I'm on....

Old 01-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

Blueeyes HB User

What kind of reaction did you have? I get side effects all the time to meds

Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

Unhappy Re: Trazodone for sleep--quick questions!

With Ambien CR, it made me dizzy, nauseous, anxious, and ultimately caused me to have my first-ever panic attack (my blood pressure went up, heart rate was super high, etc.). I've had side effects before, but nothing ever like that!

And to update everyone on the Trazodone:

Last night, my first night on Trazodone, was ROUGH. About an hour and a half after I took it, I was feeling so tired that I couldn't stay up any longer. Thought that was a good sign! But I didn't fall asleep. I spent the night lying there, sleeping in spurts with lots of odd dreams. This morning, I felt shaky, tired, and anxious (though the anxiety is probably me, not the meds).

Granted, I have been taking 3 mg of Lunesta, 1 mg of Lorazepan, and two Tylenol PMs to sleep on a regular basis, so the weirdness I am feeling and difficulty sleeping is probably more a result of withdrawal from those than it is a result of the Trazodone. I think.

Not sure if I should try 50 mg tonight. I am very anxious about this because I don't function well if I don't get enough sleep, and I don't want to have problems at work as a result of this... ugh!

I finally took 1 mg Lorazepan to alleviate the weirdness I felt this morning, and it helped immensely.

Blueeyes, any idea how long the Trazodone takes to kick in before you go to sleep?

And anyone else, I'd love to hear more thoughts on Trazodone and my experience!

The following user gives a hug of support to DKScully:
ginger spice (10-14-2011)
Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

In the past, I took up to 300-400 mg to sleep. It worked, but I never liked it much. First, my body would try to fight it, even when I'd been taking it over several years, sometimes get panicky. Secondly, at the dose necessary to put me to sleep in about an hour, hour and a half, I would feel drowsy and hung-over the next morning. Eventually, I was able to sleep on 150 mg/night but still had the hung-over feeling that would take until about 2 or 3 pm to wear off.

Seroquel worked much better, in my opinion. Ambien caused me panic attacks, Rozerem wired me so I didn't sleep for several days.

I've now been combining valerian and melatonin and have had more success with this approach than with any other meds (with exception of Seroquel, which once I changed docs, the new one did not wish to prescribe). I'm not sure if this is recommended or not to combine the 2, but whatever works, I say. Plus, it feels more natural, my body doesn't fight it, I sleep through the night and don't wake up feeling drowsy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livinTX For This Useful Post:
bkatz1ny (06-27-2012), ginger spice (10-14-2011)
Old 01-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
(female)

Jessbear HB User

I take 50mg of Trazodone for sleep and that seems to help me a lot. It seems to take about a half hour to kick in for me. The only side effect I've had with Trazodone so far is a bit of drowsiness when I wake up but it goes away pretty quickly.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I had no luck with trazadone. made me feel really weird even the next day. as far as sleep went i still got none. I have found that since my PCP changed my klonopin to 3 xs daily instead of 2 that i sleep better and don't have to take the 3 a day everyday.

ICC

Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

I had a SLIGHTLY less bad night on Trazodone last night. I feel very sleepy, but it just doesn't seem to make me fall asleep or stay asleep. It's obviously better than I would be taking nothing.... Do you think I should try 50 mg? My psychiatrist said I could, if 25 mg didn't do the trick. Do you think two nights is giving it a sufficient chance? Is there any possibility that I would sleep WORSE on 50 mg?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I think it's worth trying 50 mg to see...otherwise, you will be wondering. I think you might sleep better on 50 mg, but you might felt more drowsy the next day.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
(female)

That's what I was thinking... Generally, I don't fell drowsy the next day when I take stuff. I have pretty high sleep med tolerance--I'm a 135-lb girl and I could take 20 mg of Ambien without falling asleep!

Old 01-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
(female)

PattiChati HB User

trazadone used to help me sleep, but doesn't do anything anymore and I take 50 mgs. I also take benedryl, which helps put you to sleep.
I think I have tried every sleep med out there and have side effects to all of them - mostly anxiety side effects.
I take 20 mgs of lexapro in the morning so that shouldn't be keeping me up.
I took 150 trazadone for about 10 years, fell asleep in about 1/2 hour and slept like a baby. Had no side effects - but this was many years ago. It doesn't work for me now like that.
Any ideas on what to use for sleep, let me know.
But I would definitely go up to 50 or even 75 to help sleep. I think my dr said until you reached 100 it wasn't worth even taking. I think he is right.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiChati View Post
trazadone used to help me sleep, but doesn't do anything anymore and I take 50 mgs. I also take benedryl, which helps put you to sleep.
I think I have tried every sleep med out there and have side effects to all of them - mostly anxiety side effects.
I take 20 mgs of lexapro in the morning so that shouldn't be keeping me up.
I took 150 trazadone for about 10 years, fell asleep in about 1/2 hour and slept like a baby. Had no side effects - but this was many years ago. It doesn't work for me now like that.
Any ideas on what to use for sleep, let me know.
But I would definitely go up to 50 or even 75 to help sleep. I think my dr said until you reached 100 it wasn't worth even taking. I think he is right.
Good luck.
Have you tried Lunesta? That worked pretty well for me for a while, until it stopped working.

Benadryl is really good stuff (or Tylenol PM, which has the same sleep drug in it) though I have such a tolerance for that too, which worries me because I know that's not approved for long-term use.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
(female)

PattiChati HB User

Everything has stopped working for me - that is the problem with AD drugs. I have tried Lunesta, but forgot the effects it had on me.
I still take the benedryl to sleep, but I am up to taking 3 because of the build up, but don't know what else to do!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
(female)

Blueeyes HB User

hey hows everything going with the trazodone ive been real busy with college havent been able to get on. I take 300mgs and adivan 2mgs or switch to 10mgs ambien. works good and i take 40mgs geodon. how much trazodone u taken now?

Closed Thread