It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

MarkX63 HB User
Violent body/leg spasms wake me at moment of sleep

I have read through the sleep disorder threads and have become very scared and confused. For the last two weeks or so I have been jarred "awake" EVERY time I start to drift off to sleep. I put "awake" in parenthesis because I don't actually fall asleep. I am laying on my bed, exhausted or simply ready for sleep and the moment my eyes start to close, I am jolted "awake" by either my legs, arms, torso, and recently my facial muscles twitch as well. According to the threads, it can be any of 10 different diseases! I have no insurance and no money for cat scans, mri's etc...

Can someone please tell me what it sounds like? I have recently (past 4 months) took in a stray cat the neighbors abandoned and i used to have asthma like attacks every night from cats when i lived with my ex-girlfriend. I bought an albuterol astma breater to treat myself. Ciuld my aparent allergy be the cause? I don't gasp for breathe when I am jolted awake since it happens far too often. I use the breather once or twice a night. Could it be a reaction to albuterol? I know no one will have the definative answer, but it is a long way til Tuesday, when the only Doctor I know who MIGHT take me is off till then. If this is going to happene much longer, I may contemplate ending it all. I have considered "checking out" permanently because of this. Sleep is the only escape I have.

I woke up drenched in sweat Thursday night/Friday morning and had that happen earlier this fall. I smoke and my Mom had COPD, I may be a canidate for that as well. I have had a few, fitful, dream filled hours of sleep until Thursday.

Please let me know what you think?

Last edited by MarkX63; 01-14-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
(female)

mich711 HB User
Re: Violent body/leg spasms wake me at moment of sleep

Some asthma inhaler can have a stimulant in them, so this may be the cause of your sudden jolts. You are trying to fall asleep (your mind is shutting off), but your body is stimulated, perhaps. Periodic Limb movement disorder causes people to jerk their legs, sometimes arms, during sleep, and come get it upon falling asleep. REstless Legs Syndome is another thing to look up. Myoclonus may also be what you are describing. You may need to go to a sleep lab. Consult a doctor. And, good luck.

Closed Thread