It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

Angel_Girl_Anni HB User
falling asleep... ALL THE TIME!

Hello everyone, I am new to this site - but I already have a question. My boyfriend of 3 years is a wonderful person. A triple major in school and a wonderful actor. We plan on getting married eventually - but there is one "thing" about him that scares me. He falls asleep ALL THE TIME! I am not exaggerating. He can fall asleep at the drop of a pin! I mean, I have been in class when I am sleep deprived and nodded off...but this goes beyond that. He can get 8 hours of sleep and then fall asleep more. We've been in the middle of conversations and he's just passed out... It doesnt happen when he's moving or active of course, but sit him in class or in the car and he'll be out. And he's trying so hard to stay awake. My question is - what is up with that? Anemia? Narcalepsy? He was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago last August - could that be part of it? I feel like with the blood work done for THAT diagnosis anemia would be something they would notice - but then again it is a small town hospital - where you go in with a migrane and they say you have the "flu in your leg". So...should he get tested again? or is there a way for us to check it out at home?

also, 4 years ago he fell asleep at the wheel after working a double shift. His car crossed the center line and he was in a MAJOR accident with a semi (like jaws of life, airlifting to the hospital, and recieving your last rights type of serious) He didnt have the problem before the accident... so, could this be a post traumatic stress type thing? or a mental something or other that has happened as a result.

All I know is that I cant worry about him every time he drives away...and to be honest I am kind of embarassed when we are together and he is falling asleep while others are talking. PLUS someday he may be taking care of our children... what kind of reprocussions can come from this?

if anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
(male)

woodyman HB User
Re: falling asleep... ALL THE TIME!

Wow this sounds very much like Narcolepsy from what you described.

I watched a program on this a little while back, and was very interested in how it affected people, just trying to understand what it was really as I had never seen anything like this before.

I did a little quick search and found this site for you, seems to contain a lot of information about the condition:

[url]http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/narcolepsy/narcolepsy.htm[/url]

Hope that this some way covers the problem, and lets you both understand it a wee bit better.

All the best.

Last edited by woodyman; 01-17-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I concur with woodyman. If it is a sleep disorder, narcolepsy would be the best fit.

Now diabetes does have some serious side effects if there are low sugar spikes. If the insulin gets too low it can result in coma. I have three diabetics in my family and when the blood sugar plummets so does their ability to stay alert and awake. Make sure he is taking his medicine regularly and checking his blood sugar as well. If he is following good diabetic care.. then narcolepsy would be my bet. Anemia is not so drastic in its results.. normally anemic individuals are just fatigued.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
(female)

cheeps HB User

He could also have sleep apnea...I fell asleep at traffic lights and standing up. If i sat down, i was a goner! Hope you've convinced him to have it checked. cheeps

Closed Thread