It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
Moody! Lunesta withdrawal? Or Trazodone side effect?

So, as some of you may have read, I stopped Lunesta just over a week ago and started Trazodone (50 mg). I'd been on 3 mg of Lunesta for almost two years and basically just stopped it cold turkey. I had some trouble sleeping for the first few nights, but now that has improved. However, I'm just feeling... moody. I cry or get irritated at the littlest things. I'm being treated for anxiety (I take Lexapro and Lorazepam as needed) but this is more volatile than I usually am. Anyway, do you think it's the Lunesta withdrawal (I know some people say there ARE no withdrawal symptoms, while other disagree) or has anyone had this as a side effect for Trazodone? Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Moody! Lunesta withdrawal? Or Trazodone side effect?

The FDA requires full discloser of the side effects incountered in the full healthy human trial studies. This is the most recent documentation on Trazodone. From the information below I would suspect that the moodiness can be a result of the Trazodone. Keep an eye on it.

Sincerely,
MG

Generic Name: trazodone (TRAH zoe done)
Brand Names: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose

What is the most important information I should know about trazodone?
• While you are taking trazodone you may need to be monitored for worsening symptoms of depression and/ or suicidal thoughts at the start of therapy or when doses are changed. This concern about the increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors may be greater if you are 18 years of age or younger and are taking trazodone. In patients younger than 18 years, the period of risk may extend beyond start of therapy or when doses are changed. Your doctor may want you to monitor for the following symptoms: anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, severe restlessness, and mania (mental and/ or physical hyperactivity). These symptoms may be associated with the development of worsening symptoms of depression and/ or suicidal thoughts or actions. Contact your healthcare provider if you develop any new or worsening mental health symptoms during treatment with trazodone. Do not stop taking trazodone.
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Trazodone may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
• Dizziness may be more likely to occur when you rise from a sitting or lying position. Rise slowly to prevent dizziness and a possible fall.
• Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking trazodone.
• Stop taking trazodone and call your doctor immediately if you experience a prolonged (4 hours or longer), painful, or inappropriate erection. This could lead to a serious condition requiring surgery.
• Do not stop taking trazodone without first talking to your doctor, even if you begin to feel better. It may be several weeks before your symptoms begin to improve, and you may require continuous treatment for quite some time.

What is trazodone?
• Trazodone is an antidepressant medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.
• Trazodone is used to relieve symptoms of depression such as feelings of sadness, worthlessness, or guilt; loss of interest in daily activities; changes in appetite; tiredness; sleeping too much; insomnia; and thoughts of death or suicide.
• Trazodone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking trazodone?
• While you are taking trazodone you may need to be monitored for worsening symptoms of depression and/ or suicidal thoughts at the start of therapy or when doses are changed. This concern about the increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors may be greater if you are 18 years of age or younger and are taking trazodone. In patients younger than 18 years, the period of risk may extend beyond start of therapy or when doses are changed. Your doctor may want you to monitor for the following symptoms: anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, severe restlessness, and mania (mental and/ or physical hyperactivity). These symptoms may be associated with the development of worsening symptoms of depression and/ or suicidal thoughts or actions. Contact your healthcare provider if you develop any new or worsening mental health symptoms during treatment with trazodone. Do not stop taking trazodone.
• Trazodone should not be taken during the initial recovery phase after a heart attack. Talk to your doctor before taking trazodone if you have had a heart attack. You may also require special monitoring during treatment if you have any other types of heart disease, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, or chest pain (angina).
• Stop taking trazodone and call your doctor immediately if you experience a prolonged (4 hours or longer), painful, or inappropriate erection. This could lead to a serious condition requiring surgery.
• Trazodone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether trazodone will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
• It is not known whether trazodone passes into breast milk. Do not take trazodone without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Here is what I found on Lunesta. It specifically states do not quit cold turkey. See the bold underlined section below:
MG

Generic Name: eszopiclone (ezz sop e clone)
Brand Names: Lunesta

What is the most important information I should know about eszopiclone?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Eszopiclone will cause drowsiness and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities. Eszopiclone should be taken just before bedtime. You may experience some carryover effects the next day.
• Do not drink alcohol while taking eszopiclone. Alcohol will increase drowsiness and may increase dizziness while you are taking eszopiclone, which could be dangerous.
• Do not stop taking eszopiclone suddenly if you have been taking it for more than 1 or 2 weeks. This may cause withdrawal symptoms and make you uncomfortable. Talk to your doctor if you need to stop treatment with eszopiclone.

What is eszopiclone?
• Eszopiclone is in a class of drugs called sedative/ hypnotics or sleep medications. Eszopiclone affects chemicals in your brain that may affect sleep.
• Eszopiclone induces sleep and causes relaxation. It is used to treat insomnia.
• Eszopiclone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking eszopiclone?
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you
· have liver disease;
· have asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or another respiratory disease; or
· are depressed or have suicidal thoughts.
• You may not be able to take eszopiclone, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Eszopiclone may cause memory loss or "amnesia" where a person may not remember what has happened for several hours after taking the medication. Since eszopiclone is typically taken just prior to falling asleep for the night, this is generally not a problem. However, this could be a problem if eszopiclone is taken while traveling, such as during an airplane flight, and the person wakes up before the effects of the medication are gone. Eszopiclone should only be taken if you are able to get a full night's sleep (8 or more hours) before you must be active again.
• Be aware that you may have more sleeping problems the first night or two after you stop taking eszopiclone.
• Eszopiclone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is unknown whether eszopiclone will harm an unborn baby. Do not take eszopiclone without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• Eszopiclone passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
• If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects from eszopiclone. You may require a lower dose of this medication.

How should I take eszopiclone?
• Take eszopiclone exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass of water.
• Take eszopiclone just before you go to bed. It will make you drowsy, and you could fall and hurt yourself if you take your dose before you are ready for sleep.
• You can take eszopiclone with or without food but for eszopiclone to work best, do not take it with or immediately after a high-fat, heavy meal.
• Do not crush or chew the tablets. Take each tablet whole.
• Take eszopiclone only if you are able to get a full night's sleep (8 or more hours) before you must be active again.
• Do not take more of this medication than is prescribed for you.
• Do not stop taking eszopiclone suddenly if you have been taking it for more than 1 or 2 weeks. This may cause withdrawal symptoms and make you uncomfortable. Talk to your doctor if you need to stop treatment with eszopiclone.
• Store eszopiclone at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Since eszopiclone is usually taken only if you need it to help you sleep, missing a dose will not cause any problems. Take the missed dose only if you can be sure that you will get 8 full hours of sleep after the dose. If you do not sleep 8 full hours, you may experience carryover effects from eszopiclone after you wake up.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of a eszopiclone overdose may include sleepiness, confusion, dizziness, difficult or slow breathing, and unconsciousness.

What should I avoid while taking eszopiclone?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Eszopiclone will cause drowsiness and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities. Eszopiclone should be taken just before bedtime. You may experience some carryover effects the next day.
• Do not drink alcohol while taking eszopiclone. Alcohol will increase drowsiness and may increase dizziness while you are taking eszopiclone, which could be dangerous.
• Avoid other sedatives, sleeping pills, and tranquilizers, including over-the-counter preparations. They should not be used while you are taking eszopiclone unless your doctor directs otherwise.

What are the possible side effects of eszopiclone?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking eszopiclone and seek emergency medical attention:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, face, or tongue; hives).
• Contact your doctor if you experience
· daytime drowsiness, dizziness, or clumsiness;
· more outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal;
· confusion;
· strange behavior;
· memory loss problems;
· agitation;
· worsening of depression;
· hallucinations; or
· new feelings of depression.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur, such as headache and unpleasant taste. If these become bothersome, contact your doctor.
• A problem that may occur when sleep medicines are stopped is known as "rebound insomnia." This means that a person may have more trouble sleeping the first few nights after the medicine is stopped than before starting the medicine. If you should experience rebound insomnia, do not get discouraged. This problem usually goes away on its own after 1 or 2 nights.
• Eszopiclone may be habit forming. Stopping this medication suddenly can cause withdrawal effects if you have taken it continuously for several weeks. Talk to your doctor about the safe use of this medication.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect eszopiclone?
• Many drugs may affect the way that eszopiclone is metabolized ("broken down") in the body, leading to higher or lower than expected levels of the medication in the blood. Talk to your doctor before taking any other medicines during treatment with eszopiclone.
• Eszopiclone may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, other sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine unless your doctor approves.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with eszopiclone. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products.

Where can I get more information?

• Your pharmacist has additional information about eszopiclone written for health professionals that you may read.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User

Thanks for the info. My psychiatrist just told me to stop the Lunesta cold turkey because I was starting the Trazodone. I realize that the moodiness is listed as a side effect for the Trazodone (but isn't everything?) and it's also a typical withdrawal symptom. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this first-hand, either from stopping Lunesta (if so, how long did it last?) or starting Trazodone.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I never took Lunesta, but I did take Trazodone several years. I never noticed moodiness from taking Trazodone or stopping it, and you are taking quite a low dose of it. The only thing I noticed from Trazodone was possibly dry mouth (but I was on other antidepressants that could have caused this too) and a feeling of drowsiness the next day that would last until after noon. I'd be inclined to think it could be Lunesta withdrawal.

Closed Thread