It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User
cant STAY asleep

Im newly dating someone for about a month and he has seemingly been suffering from insomnia for over 2 weeks now. We have spent the night together about 5 or 6 times now and, depending on what time we go to sleep to begin with, he will wake up, no fail, 3 or 4 hours in and not be able to go back to sleep. Sometimes he can, but he has to get up and do things for awhile. For example, last night we passed out around midnight, and we were exhausted...but come 4 in the morning hes up, and as a result I woke up, and then he left at 7:30 am after we were up all morning talking.

I dont know everything about him since we just started dating, but part of me wonders if it is something mentally related...like depression, anxiety, etc. But when I ask him, he says he doesnt feel any of that. He did just move here a few months ago, and seems homesick, and he did speak of some things going on in his life this morning when we were lying there awake. But he just doesnt seem stressed or depressed or anything like that...

Hes mentioned that it might be time to go see a Dr. Is there anything else he can do in the meantime? Its frustrating when he is here...I want him to be with me, but whenever he is here he wakes up, wants to leave b/c he cant go back to sleep, and I just feel like its starting to interfere with his life. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: cant STAY asleep

Could be the situation, namely the move. He has some things he is concerned with in his life and that can cause sleep issues. A doctor will only prescribe sleeping pills or sedating AD's which will only work for a short while and eventually do worsen the brain's own ability to sleep. I would recommend, however, a complete physical to rule out any health issues.

How does he function otherwise? Some people can get by on less sleep temporarily when under stress. Eventually the brain will demand more sleep. Even during short sleep, his brain can be going into the deep stages 3 and 4 enough to sustain his health, as we usually spend only a short time in those stages anyway during normal amounts of sleep.

If he seems to be functioning ok, perhaps the best things that would help are lots of exercise, eating right, and seeking some help (whether self-help or therapy) with the worries he expressed to you. Supplements like calcium and chammomile tea at bedtime do help calm. Overall healthy diet contains the amino acids that produce neurotransmitters for sleep and other functions.

Be patient, sometimes it takes awhile to re-adjust.

Last edited by Jennita; 02-03-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
(male)

abbydrumguy HB User

Hi singleone ,
Well I can relate to the guy you are dating. I have gone about one month doing the same - awaking about 4:30 or finally 5:30 last night and trying to work at the same time. Well I had to get away from work (I came to my childhood hometown) and all the stresses like the move I also had to do- but it was in the same city. moving can be soooo stressful. I do not the new place I moved in since the people above me are noisy and it is far away from stores and not much to do around there. I feel so lonely and frustrated with my teaching on call. So I was awaking and sometimes feeling so upset. I have also been dating but we are not sleeping together and that went sour too- we broke up.
So I have been trying to exercise and finally while away I feel more at ease to relax and let out a 4 km run today. Otherwise I am drained.
I went to the naturopath after trying friggin sleeping pills from the dr.. Went there a second time and he tried to put me on @##$ antidepressants. I hate those things since they make me feel like a walking zombie and I know it is just treating the symptoms so I went to the naturopath. I am taking homeopathic medicine and she is also like a counsellor. Looking at my whole life. I am making goals and back to see her. It makes me feel better. The relationship just stressed me out more since she would not understand I fear and she was demanding. So I am at my father's - too old to be single I fear but just going one day at a time.
I hope that helps you since I sympathize with him.
Take care

Old 02-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

Clencher HB User

Be sure to not take Tylenol PM to help you get to sleep. It has benadryl in it and sometimes makes people hyper. However, regular Tylenol can sometimes have relax you, so he might want to try to take a couple of regular extra strength Tylenol before going to bed. Another idea is taking some Melatonin. They have all natural Melatonin at places like GNC and maybe walmart. Melatonin is a hormone produced in the brain by the pineal gland, from the amino acid tryptophan. The synthesis and release of melatonin are stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light, suggesting the involvement of melatonin in circadian rhythm and regulation of diverse body functions. Levels of melatonin in the blood are highest prior to bedtime.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I second the melatonin. I used to have problems waking up in the night and being unable to fall back to sleep most of the time, but since taking melatonin, I don't have this problem.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Hmmm, well the couple of books on insomnia I have read have said something different concerning melatonin. First, melatonin level is not highest prior to bedtime. Melatonin production is activated by light, or more precisely the lack of light entering the eyes. When its dark this signals that it must be bedtime and its time to start making melatonin. It is highest in the middle of the night and starts to fall in the early morning hours. I've also read that since melatonin levels are already highest in the middle of the night that supplementing it is really not going to help you stay asleep and its more for helping to get asleep. Personally, I find this to be true. It does help me get to sleep when I use it, but more often than not I'm still waking up a few times at night. I dont know the metabolism rate, but I suppose if you took a very large dose it could stay in your body long enough to help you stay asleep, but I dont know.

Not trying to step on anybodies toes, just relaying what I've read and experienced.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
(female)

Clencher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Hmmm, well the couple of books on insomnia I have read have said something different concerning melatonin. First, melatonin level is not highest prior to bedtime. Melatonin production is activated by light, or more precisely the lack of light entering the eyes. When its dark this signals that it must be bedtime and its time to start making melatonin. It is highest in the middle of the night and starts to fall in the early morning hours. I've also read that since melatonin levels are already highest in the middle of the night that supplementing it is really not going to help you stay asleep and its more for helping to get asleep. Personally, I find this to be true. It does help me get to sleep when I use it, but more often than not I'm still waking up a few times at night. I dont know the metabolism rate, but I suppose if you took a very large dose it could stay in your body long enough to help you stay asleep, but I dont know.

Not trying to step on anybodies toes, just relaying what I've read and experienced.
Ouch, your hurting me! Get off that toe, it's had ingrown toe nail surgery a gillion times!

I haven't read any books so I want even pretend to be the smart one on all there is to know about Melatonin. I have just always heard that and when I looked it up on the internet, that is what it said.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I want to mention also that benedryl doesn't make many people hyper... its mainly children that react that way, so it's at least worth a try.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
(female)

Clencher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
I want to mention also that benedryl doesn't make many people hyper... its mainly children that react that way, so it's at least worth a try.
I'm 39 and it keeps me awake.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Boy that sucks! When I use it ( rarely) it works like a charm.

Closed Thread