It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

punkiishmob HB User
anyone worry about not falling asleep?

I've known that if it has been over 20 minutes, and I am still not asleep, I start to worry. I look at the clock, realize that it is almost 1am, and then complain about how I need to get to sleep to get up for work. I will turn on my TV then immediately shut it off, seeing as that I kind of do feel tired, and I worry that if I turn on my TV, I will be up again and wide awake. So I just lay in bed, with songs, or stupid **** running through my head, then when I am not even thinking about falling asleep, I open my eyes, and I am awake again, and worrying. It seems like the more i THINK about falling asleep, the more I DONT fall asleep. I will be so relaxed in bed, my eyes almost wanting to permenately close, and then I will think to myself "I am almost asleep, yay". Turns out I won't fall asleep.

Anything to either turn my head off or stop worrying? No prescription meds though. I do take 50mg of DHCL every night; it sort of helps.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: anyone worry about not falling asleep?

Did you have the sleeplessness problems before you started taking DHCL or after you were on the medication? Is there a correlation?

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
(male)

punkiishmob HB User

No this actually happened randomly when I wanted to change my sleeping habits (going to bed at 1:30 or 2am to 11:30pm or 12am), and I feel that I worry too much..

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I tried setteling down and watching t.v. about an hour before I actually intended on going to sleep. I tried sleeping pills prescrition ambien and off the counter. I tried a relaxation technic that is suppose to relax every part of your body and also tapes. Nothing seemed to help. My mind would run a mile a minute stressing about everything. I too would look at the time and stress because I wasn't sleeping yet and it would just get me upset and I wouldn't be able to go too sleep. I ended up taking pills that were part for anxiety and part for sleeping and they worked wonders while i could take them. I grew a tolerance to them and started waking up at night but than the dose was increased to 2 pills and I neevr had a problem after that. Now I can't take them because I am afraid I won't wake when my baby cries. It was trazadone (sp). I didn't wake up tired ethier.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
(male)

punkiishmob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat2 View Post
I had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I tried setteling down and watching t.v. about an hour before I actually intended on going to sleep. I tried sleeping pills prescrition ambien and off the counter. I tried a relaxation technic that is suppose to relax every part of your body and also tapes. Nothing seemed to help. My mind would run a mile a minute stressing about everything. I too would look at the time and stress because I wasn't sleeping yet and it would just get me upset and I wouldn't be able to go too sleep. I ended up taking pills that were part for anxiety and part for sleeping and they worked wonders while i could take them. I grew a tolerance to them and started waking up at night but than the dose was increased to 2 pills and I neevr had a problem after that. Now I can't take them because I am afraid I won't wake when my baby cries. It was trazadone (sp). I didn't wake up tired ethier.
I was considering that. I took it one time ( my dad has trazodone and xanax for sleep.. major sleep apnea and stress).. and the next morning I felt like complete ****.. hangover effect, etc.. ive tried melatonin, calcium, magnesium aspartate, valerian root, and im realizing that benadryl average dose 25mg doesnt have an effect on me at all anymore.. I want to try trazodone because I heard it does not have an actual dependency.

Should i seriously talk to my doctor about it?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
(male)

MidlineNotFine HB User

Two good options are talking to your PCP or a psychiatrist (no joke). My psychiatrist and sleep doctor (I have sleep apnea and trouble falling asleep) have me on Ambien CR. I have the same problems described ... running mind, clock-checking, panic as the minutes pass, etc.

I have also found sticking to a routine helps. I try to go to bed the same time every night, I take the medicine after a specific routine, watch 5 minutes of TV, turn on a soothing CD and turn the clock towards the wall (the clock is my worst enemy if I can see the time).

Even if you don't start any medications, you might consider the routine, try not to eat too close to bed, avoid alcohol close to bed and don't exercise too late. Then stick with it for a couple of weeks. What's there to lose?

Btw - I have no trouble with an Ambien "hangover".

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiishmob View Post
I was considering that. I took it one time ( my dad has trazodone and xanax for sleep.. major sleep apnea and stress).. and the next morning I felt like complete ****.. hangover effect, etc.. ive tried melatonin, calcium, magnesium aspartate, valerian root, and im realizing that benadryl average dose 25mg doesnt have an effect on me at all anymore.. I want to try trazodone because I heard it does not have an actual dependency.

Should i seriously talk to my doctor about it?

I've heard some good things about trazodone. If you suffer chronic long term insomnia its probably a better solution than OTC and prescription sleeping pills. Get the dosage right though because I've heard you can have one hell of a time getting up in the morning.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Also might want to check out a book called The Insomnia Answer. Lots of good info.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I would second the primary care physician (pcp) and the psychiatrist...

some people think psychiatrists or shrinks "counsel" people or help them solve their problems and of course in a sense this is true. And there are many psychiatrists who specialize in the "counseling" area of psychiatry.

But there are also psychiatrists who are "brain chemists" who treat chemical imbalances in the brain...this would be the type of psychiatrist you would want to seek out--someone who can treat the worry or anxiety symptoms you are experiencing.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-17-2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling typos

Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
(male)

miked0623 HB User

i agree with bethsheba. I'm going to see a therapist next week. i can't wait. i have anxiety issues from job experiences last year and i think it's effecting me. I've also tried herbal supps - which really seem to work well. i've been sleeping pretty good the last 4 nights.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
(male)

dougfunny HB User

I have the same problem, but if i think about what i did that day, i see that i didnt do much and wasnt really tired... but i felt tired....

but then days that i was busy as hell and how tired i was all day and that would be the reason im tired

Old 03-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
(male)

XAoPillz HB User

worry bout falln asleep every night..insomnia pwns me...bout 5 nights out of 7 i fall asleep in a matter of 10 minutes because im so tired by the end of the day, but i cant stay asleep for more then 45-1hour at a time...and most of the time im up before 4AM because after that there is no hope for me falling back asleep so i just get up.

Closed Thread