It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User
Having trouble getting Lunesta

About a month ago, my friend gave me one of his to try and it worked very well for me-I felt so good the next day and it was wonderful to experience a full good night's sleep. So I went to my doctor on Feb 27 and he wrote me a prescription which I took to get filled that night. I was told that they needed some sort of authorization from my insurance and doctor and to check back in 72 hours. I called on Friday (the 2nd) and was told that they were waiting for a a fax from my doctor's office so I called them and they had just sent it to the pharmacy and said that I should be able to get it by Monday (the 5th). Well, life got busy and I didn't get a chance to call the pharmacy until today to check on it but I figured that by now I'd be able to get them (plus I have been sleeping horribly and could really use them). I called today and was told that it still was not approved. So I called my doctor's office and was told that the insurance company told them that they had not yet made a decision and to try back in a few days-which the nurse told me she would do. But what the heck?? What sort of big decision is it to decide to let me get sleeping pills or not? I was tempted to just get them w/o insurance but they are $140 Has anyone else had issues with this?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User
Re: Having trouble getting Lunesta

Try either Unisom (over the country) or generic temazepam 9prescription required) - dirt cheap, unlikely to need prior authorisation.

The issue for the insurance company isnt giving you the sleeping pills, it is wether they should pay $140 when equaly good sedatives are avaliable for $10.... they usualy insist on you trying a cheaper alternative, and having had problams with it, before authorising these very expensive new drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I guess it depends on your plan. I got Lunesta and Ambein Cr with no problem.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User

I totally agree with aussie_jono, why don't you try the generic one and see if it works the same as Lunesta, it should... good luck!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

nicole28 HB User

I had the same problem except the insurance won't cover lunesta and I can't afford to pay 140.00 a month on top of my other rxs.I have taken a few other things but I don't like them b/c i'm still tired the next. So sometimes I will try some benadryl. Take 2 of those and hopefuuly you will fall asleep. I usually fall asleep around 2-3 a.m. and have to be up at 7 a.m. to get my son ready for school.Sometimes i have such a hard time staying awake all day. I also have another child who is almost 2 so It's not lie I can sleep all day.Maybe your dr can give you some samples it wouln't hurt to ask.Good luck

Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
(male)

whosit HB User

I agree....ask him for some samples. I was on lunesta for a few months and only had to fill one script for them. My insurance asked no questions and filled them that day. My doc gave me samples though for about 3-4 months of lunesta everytime I was to see him. So wouldnt hurt to ask.... keep us updated as to wether you ever got the RX filled or not.

Wvrecon432

Old 05-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

When you were on Lunesta did you ever drink any alcohol? I have been taking it for about 3 weeks now. It really helps me sleep. Did you experience the rebound insomnia when you quit taking it? That is the one thing I am really worried about!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
(female)

bailey46 HB User

I had no trouble getting Lunesta and Ambien CR. I must say, though, that I do not like Lunesta at all. The hangover I had when I took it was unreal, and I had a terrible taste in my mouth for the entire day after taking it. It did help me get to sleep but it didn't help me STAY asleep, so it wasn't worth it.

I love Ambien CR... I work nights and don't go to sleep until between 3:00 and 5:00 AM so it's a must for me. No hangover, no bad taste in my mouth. I'll sleep for 9 solid hours when I take it. The only side effect is that if I take it for more than 3 days in a row I can feel myself start getting kind of testy and depressed. So, I lay off for 3 or 4 nights, opting for some Sleeptime Extra tea and a dry read.

If Lunesta is too expensive, try Melatonin. It's a good natural alternative. Or try Valarian Root... that'll put you right to sleep! But like Lunesta or Ambien, don't take Valarian if you can't sleep for a full 7 or 8 hours... it'll leave you feeling hungover the next day if you don't sleep long enough.

Hope this helps...

Closed Thread