It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User
Ambien CR/Anxiety?

I have been taking ambien CR for a few months now, and find that I wake up all nervous with anxiety and fear. Has anyone experienced these feelings? I can't lie in bed after I wake up; I need to get upright immediately and sit or stand up in order for the anxiety to go away. By the time I've had breakfast I feel much better.

Am wondering if this is a side effect of the ambien or could be caused by some other meds that I am taking... I really miss snoozing and waking up feeling rested.

Thanks for your input.

(male)

Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Ambien CR/Anxiety?

What other meds are you taking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I can't take Ambien CR. It gave me anxiety and panic attacks, not in the morning, but after taking the Ambien, plus I didn't sleep that great on it, maybe 3 hours total. I do think it's possible that Ambien could cause and/or exacerbate your anxiety, but it could also be the other meds you are taking as well.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User

beth - am taking meds for anxiety (klonopin) and depression + thyroid supplements. I suppose the obvious answer is that the ambien does not agree with one of these meds, however I've told my doc this and he does not see any connection. Maybe he's just not very knowledgeable...

cln - thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear someone else has had trouble with ambien causing panic attacks and anxiety (but sorry you suffered). Maybe it is not my imagination afterall...

Thank you both for your input..

Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

me2007 HB User
Question Re: Ambien CR/Anxiety?

I dont take Ambein CR, but I do take regular Ambein and have now for about 6 months off and on (mainly on). I submitted a thread about a week and a half ago asking if anyone has experienced depression the next day/ plus feeling somewhat anxious, (now that you mention it) when taking Ambein. It seems to settle down towards the evening before I take my night time dose. I know that one of the side effects to report to your Dr. is depression, however it didnt bother me at all the first several months being on it. I do know that Ambein is NOT recommended for long term use. Maybe this has something to do with our symptoms.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Kato,

It is wise to assume nothing...it may be the klopin, the anti depressive, or the ambien cr that are causing problems...or it may be a combination of one or more. You can develop a side effect to a medication despite being on the medication for months or years. Have you checked with your pharmacist for information?

As far as you doc goes, doctors don't know everything---I've had doctors tell me they don't see a connection and when I refer back to the drug sheet the "connection" they didn't see is listed as an allergic reaction or a serious side effect. NEVER take your doctors word for anything...follow up with research.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-22-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User

beth - thanks for your advice. I know what you're saying. I will follow up with some more research.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
(male)

XAoPillz HB User

ambien CR never worked for me, neither does ambien...neither made me tired and both made me hallucinate, hear things, crazy stuff like that.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
(male)

MidlineNotFine HB User

kato,

I have taken Ambien CR every night for months at my psychiatrist's and sleep doctor's direction. I also take Xanax as needed for anxiety and Vicodin and Neurontin for pain management. It could be the medication and your body or a mix. Personally, Klonopin never worked for me. It gave me a constant hangover ... but that's just me. Short acting and short half-life medication for anxiety has been right for me (and I take a small dose - 0.5 mg per dose ... no more than 1.5 mg in any one day and that's not usual).

A psychiatrist might be able to help best - she does for me. She really understands the chemistry portion of my problems. Then I just make sure to share everything with my other doctors so everyone is in the loop.

My experience. Hope it helps.

MNF

Old 03-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlineNotFine View Post

A psychiatrist might be able to help best - she does for me. She really understands the chemistry portion of my problems. Then I just make sure to share everything with my other doctors so everyone is in the loop.

MNF
Midline,

So glad you shared this. Too many people don't realize that many psychiatrists are really brain chemists and not really counselors...and that's a "good" thing. Not all problems can be solved with talk therapy. Don't misunderstand as I am very supportive of talk therapy in the right situations...but it doesn't address every situation!

I might add that one has to look for a psychiatrist that is a brain chemist---not all are.

Bethsheba

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User

MNF & beth - thanks for the input. I am on neurontin also for pain management, so there could be a correlation there. Actually neurontin acts as a mood stabilizer, according to my doc, so it should help with the anxiety. I am boosting that up from 1800 to 2400/day so I hope this helps.

Only take small doses of klonopin, but it seems to be helpful. I've never had any experience with Xanax or Vicodin.

beth - I am not into "talk therapy;" my doc is strictly recommeding drugs based on how I am coming along. She goes by the latest trends and *experiments* with me if I am not doing well. I think this is a good thing - give a drug the chance to work, and if it doesn't, tweak it & move on. I've been through most all of the SSRI's and they have not been very adequate for me...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
(male)

MidlineNotFine HB User

kato,

Sounds like we have some in common. I also take Neurontin (600 mg/d nitrating up to 900) and Xanax (0.5 mg as needed - usually not more than 1 mg/d). Klonopin did not agree with me (for whatever reason).

I see how everybody is different. Vicodin works very well for my pain but they keep pushing Neurontin so I'm giving it 100% effort. I've found Neurontin makes me tired but I may just be getting acclimated. Ambien CR is a wonder drug for me to get to sleep whereas Lunesta was garbage. Amazing how different body chemistry produces such wildly different results, isn't it?!?

Good luck finding the best for you!

MNF

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kato,

I have no knowledge of your medical hx so I have no idea what came first, the pain, insomnia, depression, or anxiety. But I do know that sleep disorders can cause depression, anxiety, and insomnia and if the sleep disorder is treated, these symptoms can diminish or disappear.

Again, I may be way off base, but I'd like to make you aware of the possiblity of investigating a sleep disorder (specifically sleep apnea) if you haven't done so already.

Bethsheba

PS It sounds like you have a doctor who knows what she is doing...keeping up with the trends, tweaking, etc. Yes, that is a good thing!

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-27-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User

MNF - Yes, neurontin can make one sleepy. I've fallen asleep on the couch just reading - terrible sleepiness like I've never felt before. Obviously drug induced. I was warned about this when it was prescribed, so be careful. I'm glad you are doing well with ambien cr. It works for me, but I wake up very agitated and fearful, full of anxiety. Taking klonopin seems to eventually cure this. But my mornings are terrible...

Bethsheba - thanks for the advice. Yes, I know sleep disorders can cause depresssion, however in my case the doc felt it was a sign of depression. We have never looked into sleep apnea, but I will keep that in mind.

The anxiety seems to be a more recent thing to deal with; perhaps it came about through the mixture of meds. I had back surgery recently and was prescribed neuronton for pain, but now my psyche dr has kept me going on it as she feels the mood stabilizer will help with the anxiety. So far the jury is still out on that issue; I'm waiting for it to kick in, and if it doesn't soon I will get in touch with the dr.

Thanks for your input - it is always good to hear what others have to say. I was told, "Anxiety is the bad step-child of depression." I guess that's correct..

Closed Thread