It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

sleepdreams HB User
I'm Scheduled for a Laser Tonsillectomy

Hi,

I went to an ENT recently to see what factors are contributing to my snoring (hereditary). I don't have a history of sleep apnea.

He noticed right away that my tonsils are larger than normal but that my uvula and soft palate are of normal sizes. He recommended laser tonsillectomy but to leave my uvula and soft palate as is.

As anyone had this procedure done and has it greatly helped with the snoring (if yes, by what percentage roughly?)

I have across some articles on the website stating that LAUP and laser tonsillectomy procedures do not really “cure” snoring and that any such benefit lasts only short-term (“..A few individuals will have good results that last a long time. However, most of the medical literature reports that 10-15% are not improved and 30-40% of those who do improve start to snore again within one year.” and “Results in terms of control of snoring and OSA are inferior. (Archives of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery 1997; 123:265 - 276)).

Also, for snorers who previously did not suffer from sleep apnea can be afflicted with this condition post laser surgery (…”in addition, the LAUP may cause OSA in a patient who only had primary snoring preoperatively and it may make existing OSA worse. (Am J Resp Crit Care Med 1997; 155(4):A939)

I'm willing to take a chance on the tonsillectomy as a way to reduce my snoring but i'm afraid of the sleep apnea side effects. Has anyone had this happened post laser tonsillectomy?

Any medical people out there with an opinion?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: I'm Scheduled for a Laser Tonsillectomy

Humm.. out of the let me count.. 13 family members that have had T&A's of one form or fashion.

Snoring is gone or reduced.. permanently. Sleep apnea.. those with it, reduced in intensity.. those with out it.. still no apnea.

I am not an medical professional.. just a chemist/chemical engineer.. however I have four RN's, and two MD's in the 13 afor mentioned group. From medical sources.. many cases the sleep apnea was not caused by the tonsillectomy but from other factors. If you are worried about the LAUP.. go for the standard ole coablation and chemical caurterization method.

Sincerely,
MG

You might benefit from posting a querry on the ENT board.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

s_conni HB User

My daughter had a CO2 laser tonsillectomy today. I'm writing because I could find very little first-hand accounts from anyone who'd had this procedure, and I'm willing to answer questions if anyone is interested.

The procedure lasted about twenty minutes. She was given an oral numbing agent, and then had a shot or two inside her mouth to numb the tonsils. They were then vaporized with the laser. Sometimes it hurt, but not terribly. She was given a 7 day course of antibiotics, and some hydrocodone.

We got home around noon, it is 5:30 now, and she's doing great. She said it's like having a sore throat without the cold symptoms. She is not counting the minutes until her next hydrocodone, even though she could take her second one in about fifteen minutes, she's going to wait until closer to bedtime to take it.

Drinking cold icy drinks makes her throat feel better. We were told that she will have some throat pain for the next 2 - 3 days, that on the third day it will probably get worse, and then will get better. Even so, they doubt she'll be using very many of the hydrocodone pills. I'll let you know if this turns out to be true.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
(female)

s_conni HB User

By the way, I forgot to mention, she is 19, not a child, so her experience will be comparable to an adult's.

She is now an hour past when she could have taken more pain meds, and hasn't needed it. She was playing the piano and singing, but I made her stop for fear she'd stress her throat and have a more painful day tomorrow.

So far, it looks nothing like the nightmare described by those who have had a traditional tonsillectomy.

Closed Thread