It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

laurietrib HB User
Sleep Apnea Mask Question

I have sleep apnea and can't for the life of me get used to sleeping with my sleep mask. If I move the wrong position when I am sleeping the mask leaks. I can't seem to find a way to get a good seal. I just can't seem to get used to wearing a mask to bed.

I know people who have sleep apnea and who use a CPAP. They say that they couldn't live without it and they feel better. I wish I could say the same.

Does any one have any suggestions or advice? I have been dealing with this for a year now. Any thought would be appreciated.

Laurie

Old 04-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
(male)

gooby HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea Mask Question

is there a reason you need a full face mask. I use one and don;t have too much trouble with it but I have to use it because I mouth breath.

If you can use one of those little nose masks or the pillow (it fits up against your nostrils) that may be good for you.

Did your doc or the tester prescribe a full face?

Have you tried anything other than a full face?

I use a Fisher Paykel mask. The seal is very light and thin and acutally kind of blows up to make the seal. There is a piece that goes up to my forhead that had a rubber bumber on it but that seemed to keep the mask too far from my face no matter how tight I made the straps. I removed the rubber (actually silicone) bumper and it works like a charm.

There is also masks that have the piece that goes up to your forhead that is adjustable and will allow the maske to set closer to your face at the top of your nose. My piece that goes up is not adjusstable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have been through two different types of masks.. not good for a nasal mask even with a chin strap I manage to mouth breathe.. ask you resp. Therapist if they have some loner masks that you can test out.. don't settle for just on mask. Look into the gell cushion full face/nasal masks.. they are the most comfortable that my husband, son, and I have found.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
(male)

gooby HB User

mkgbrook, what brand makes the type of mask you speak of (gel cushion). a model number perhaps so I can look it up. don;t post links on the site. it's not a good thing I found out.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Respironics - ComfortGel - Nasal Mask
Sleepnet - Mojo - Full Face Mask - Only Full Gel Face mask and it does make a difference.

Here are the manufacturers and names of the two Gel masks out there.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just in case you are wondering.. I have tried the Respironics Comfort Full Face 2 CPAP Mask & Headgear, and Resmed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask & Headgear as well.

With out the gel cushion, I had to fight leaks and uncomfortable pressure zones. To stop leaks I would have to pull my mask so tight I would have a mask imprint for part of the morning and I it would press or pinch certain areas making it uncomforatable (this was my main problem with the Resmed mask). In the case of the Comfort fit.. I did not have the discomfort of poorly placed pressure zones, but instead had to fit constant leaks and mask... blubbering?.. if I tightened it too much it would just slid to a more uncomfortable position.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
(female)

laurietrib HB User

Gooby,

I use a mask that just goes over my nose. I have tried the nasal pillow, but didn't like it. I do mouth breathe so maybe I should look into a full mask. I'm just having a real hard time just having something on my face. I'm getting woke up quite a bit by the air blowing in my eyes.

mkgbrook,

I have tried the chin strap also. My mouth still falls open. I have to strap the mask on very tight and then I get a headache. I didn't know they made a gel mask. How long have you used yours? Do you feel it has made a difference in how you feel?

Thanks to you both!

Laurie

Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
(male)

gooby HB User

ah, another mouth breather.

when I was having my titration study, I started with a nose mask. the tech came in with a chin strap, said I was mouth breathing, later came in and tightened the chin strap, later came in and said " I don;t know how you're breathing through your mouth but you are" and put a full face mask on me.

if you have air blowing in your eyes, you have leaks that need to be stopped (presumably with adjustment or a different style mask.OR the part that lets the excess pressure out of the mask is not of a good design and directs the excess air towards your eyes.

I'm a guy that messes with everything so it works how I want it to. That is why on my mask (fisher paykel flexfit 431) I removed the pad that presses on the forhead because it held the seal for the bridge of my nose too far away and I got air leaks. Now it works great. The seal is a very thin soft silicone that seals against your face and actualy billows (balloons) as it seals. quite comfortable and seals well. very little pressure on my face. Think about how a hovercraft skirt works only it seals completely.

the only problem I would see is I have one that says "small" and it is almost too large for me and I am a quite good sized male. They may not fit a smaller face well. (not cheap either)

the part that holds the mask in front/lower actually is allowed to slide through the mask so as you turn, it allows some movement without trying to pull the mask off your face.

Talk to your resp therapist to see what is available at their store. Where I went didn;t do loaner/testers but I did get to actually use them with a CPAP at the store to try them out.

That gel mask looked interesting to me. Might go see if I can find one and try it out. I'm about due for a new one.

If you have to do it this way, try your best to simulate head movement (twisting, tilting, etc.) to check for a good seal even of you move around.

Heck, take a pillow (or find something there) and lay down like you are trying to sleep. Sometimes the only way you can tell is do everything you can to simulate actual use (you ought to see me look for couches)

Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
(female)

laurietrib HB User

Gooby,

When I went to my sleep study to try the mask, I was only asleep a short time. Then went to my neuro and he wrote a script for the mask I have. I'm surprised that they didn't give me a full mask then. I'm afraid that the full mask will feel sufficating, but anything is better than not sleeping. I do have to say (knock on wood) that since I've been trying to sleep with the mask again, my GERD is better.

Thanks for the idea of taking a pillow with me. I wouldn't of thought of that.

I was also wondering if anyone feels like they are filling up with air. I'm not really sure how ot explain it. I sometimes feel that I'm being filled with air. Weird I know.

Laurie

Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hi Laurie,

Glad you're giving your mask another try...yes, do try other styles--there are literally hundreds to choose from! I think I tried about 3 different masks before I settled on the respironics comfort gel....but everyone is different.

I, too, was a mouth breather--didn't know I was supposed to breath through my nose until I was in my 40's, groan. But my respiratory therapist said it would take me about 2 weeks to breath through my nose....well, I don't think that was the case...I did try a chin strap and that didn't help at all. I have found that eliminating things that make me congested (like scented candles) help me the most. And if that fails I rely on a decongestent.

But I would also like to point out that I keep 3 masks--2 masks are the same style and I interchange these for cleaning purposes and in case I break one. The third mask is a full face mask that I can use if I have a cold.

Do keep at it...your heart and your stomach will thank you for doing so!

Bsheba

Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
(male)

gooby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurietrib View Post

I was also wondering if anyone feels like they are filling up with air. I'm not really sure how ot explain it. I sometimes feel that I'm being filled with air. Weird I know.

Laurie
yes, I feel like that too sometimes, especially when my machine forst turns on. Then I settle into it and feel better about. The best success I had dealing with that part is to simply relax and try to breathe normally. I do not ramp up my machine. I have it set to just go full bore from the beginning. When I ramped it up, I felt like I was suffocating. Felt it was work to breathe.

Even then I do actually "blow up". In the mornings I go through a burp fest releasing the air that ended up in my stomach rather than in my lungs but it was never painful or bothersome.

Keep at it. I've had mine about a year or so and now sleeping without it feels weird.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

laurietrib HB User

Bsheba,

Well it sounds like I need to try the gel mask, but I have been sleeping with my mouth open for 42 years now I don't know how that is going to change. I am going to keep trying though. As I said before, my GERD is better.

Gooby,

I do seem to burp alot in the morning too. I use the ramp on my machine. If I don't I have to much trouble falling asleep. Because I have the GERD I think it hurts where there are erosions. I'm hoping with the CPAP I can stop the rest of the problems.

Laurie

Old 04-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

On the mask note.. I keep two full masks myself. It does wonders for helping me keep the suckers clean and oil free.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

MG,

Hee, hee, hee...how well I know! It's not difficult to clean 'em, nor does it take a lot of time, but geeez, there just are better things to do!

Bsheba

Closed Thread