It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

BeckyPie7 HB User
Ripping the CPAP mask off my face! grrrr

Hey, I've had my CPAP for about a week and a half. Every night I religiously strap in only to pull it off of my face after anywhere from 1-2 hours of wearing it. I have fallen asleep with it on but I always wake up, panic, take it off, and then fall asleep. Some nights I've been able to prolong the amount I've time I've kept it on by hitting stop on the machine and then hitting start again. I have it set so it takes 45 minutes to ramp up to my level of 17 so I figure that, by stopping and starting it, I'm allowing myself time to fall asleep again. Each night I feel like I slept just a few minutes longer with it on than the last night. It's just frustrating because it's almost unconscious. I don't think about taking it off, I just do. I'm so exhausted, at that point, and half asleep that there is no rational in my head. It's bothering me so I take it off.
I'm paying out the wazoo for this bugger and all the tests I had to have (that they said insurence would cover), so I want to make it work.
I fall asleep each night chanting to myself that I won't take it off.
What can I do to stop this? Will I ever get used to it? I don't want to be wasting my money like this and I'm frustrated to the point of tears! Any consolation, hints, help, ect. would be VERY appreciated!!!

Last edited by BeckyPie7; 04-23-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Ripping the CPAP mask off my face! grrrr

There is always an adjustment phase.. Are you using a full and nasal mask? If the full is the issue try the comfort gel nasal mask. There is also a comfort gel full mask, MOJO, by sleep net out there.

I occasionally ripd my mask off. It normally corresponds to the humidty setting being too high and water beginning to pool in my mask. Also see if you can back your pressure off just a tad and get used to sleeping on a slightly lower pressure and work your way up to 17 increasing a point a week.

Maybe try it at 15 and move to 16 if you are not ripping it off.. then 17. Etc. Other than tieing yourself down there is now way to prevent yourself from ripping off your mask.. you just have to train yourself not too.

Respectfully,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

BeckyPie7 HB User

I have the full face mask because I breath out of my mouth. Last night, I lasted two hours on it, which is the longest. I don't have any way to change the pressure, that I know of. I"ll have to double check.
Last night, I not only ripped the mask off but I ripped the hose out of the mask. I must have been in a real panic that night because I usually just take the mask off. I don't even remember doing it.
As for changing the mask. I can't. This is costing me an arm and a leg already. Insurence didn't cover the whole thing the way they said they would. Ugh. This is frustrating. I'm sorry to vent.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The hose may have come off first, before the mask. Occassionally I wrap up on mine and pull it loose from the mask.

How is the seal on you mask? Are you getting airflow in the eyes? Is there condensation forming in your hose or mask.

Look in your manuals. You can set you pressure and adjust your humidity. Two main aggrevants are humidity and pressure.

The pressure may not be ideal for you because you could have been have a really bad night or good night during your study.. only long term adjustment will settle you on what is the best pressure to use. You should be somewhere around that 17. Find your own average that you can tolerate and begin to work up from there.. if you can not figure out your machine call the provider tell them what you want to do and get them to talk you through the adjustments. Mine requires me to unplug the power and hold down two buttons to get into the program mode of the machine.

Pressure:
I fluctuate between 7 and 11 now, while I used to fluctuate between 9 and 14 before my surgery. Factors that effected my pressure? Temperature, allergies, congestion, humidity.. The more allergies and congesstion bother me the higher the pressure I need.

Humidity:
If this is too high you will get pooling in your hose and mask. This is going to be slinging water droplets in your face and mouth while you sleep.. resulting in irritation and removal of the mask subconsiciously to alleviate the irritation. If it is too low, you will wake up with a dry sinus headache and cotton mouth. Both make you want to strip of the irritant, i.e. mask.

Best of luck finding out how to work with your CPAP.
Sincerely,
MG

PS.. oftimes the seal wears out before the whole mask does.. you can get replacement mask seals if you are using the Resmed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask & Headgear.. The seals are like $12 on line. If they have saddled you with a Respironics Comfort Full Face 2 CPAP Mask then you have to replace the whole mask when the seal no longer holds.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyPie7 View Post
I must have been in a real panic that night because I usually just take the mask off. I don't even remember doing it.
As for changing the mask. I can't. This is costing me an arm and a leg already. Insurence didn't cover the whole thing the way they said they would. Ugh. This is frustrating. I'm sorry to vent.
No apologies needed for venting...we've been there and have a good idea of what it's like. But keep with it as there is a learning curve and it's worth the trouble.

I used to whip my mask off at night, too. Once I lept out of bed after doing so only to "land" on my mask. FYI, they break if they're stood on, . And kitties can reduce your pressures by playing "let's poke our claws in the hose".

I'm totally without insurance and a job so I've learned to shop around for masks, hoses, filters, gel inserts, etc. There is a tremendous difference in prices out there. When I had insurance, the ins. company payed I believe about $75 for my hose. I got the same identical hose delivered to my doorstep for $9.99! So don't let those initial costs scare you...once you find something that works (because I would suggest you use the consulting services of a respiratory therapist until you find something that works), you can save yourself a BUNDLE of money by shopping around.

Bsheba

PS As far as your insurance goes, ask the hme to resubmit the claim. It may be they didn't file it correctly and you will be refunded some money. If that doesn't work, complaints can be filed with the state insurance regulatory commission or with the consumer protection agency...if they said they'd pay, they should pay.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

New2ADD HB User

Dang. 17 on a CPAP? I got moved over to BiPAP once I crossed the 12 setting. The doc said CPAP gets harder to tolerate at those higher settings. I loved my CPAP but it doesn't come close to my BiPAP as far as breathing comfort.

J

Closed Thread