It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

Jen199 HB User
Dizziness - Bed Spins - Dropping

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with an unusual problem. I haven't gone to a doctor yet as this is so hard to describe.

About 6 months ago I started noticing a strange sensation I get when I am falling asleep.

The closest thing I can describe it to is a dropping sensation I get. Just before I fall asleep, I get this falling sensation (similar to the sensation you get when you fall in a dream). It is accompanied by a feeling that I have stopped breathing. It’s like my body has stopped breathing automatically. I also get bed spins and confusion with it, but the dropping / stopping of breathing is easily the worst. It is very frightening and it is getting to the point where I am scared to lie down to go asleep.

It came on gradually but now I am getting it every night and sometimes during the day as well. I am not sure but it may be accompanied by palpitations. I have explored many avenues online including vertigo and low blood pressure. While some of the symptoms are similar nothing is an exact match.

I am 31 years of age. All of the women in my family have an underactive thyroid. I have never been tested for this before but I have put on about 10 pounds in the past year with no change in diet or exercise. Up until recently, my periods have always been very regular but have started going hay wire.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
J

Last edited by Jen199; 09-13-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Dizziness - Bed Spins - Dropping

If there is a familial trait for thyroid dysfunction you are of the age for it to develop. Have your OB or GP run the following tests. TSH, FT3, FT4, T3-Uptake, TPOAb, TGAb.

The virtigo and dizziness and weight gain and many other symptoms are liked to hypothyroidism. I have it as does my mom and all four of her sisters.. we have the bonus auto immune inspired hypo and hyper thyroid issues. I am doubtful this is a sleep disorder, given it is happening during the day.

Look up hypothyroidism, symptoms and diagnosis.. and get that blood work done. When you have your blood results which should only take 3-4 days request a personal copy. Post them and your symptoms on the Thyroid disorders board make sure to include the ranges of the particular lab listed with your results.

Sorry to here about the virtigo and dizziness.
Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread